Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 215 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, Beautiful work in the scratchbuilding department! I remember when I first joined the forum how the learning curve took awhile. I also remember all the wonderful help I received from forum members just as you have done here. That's what makes this a great place to be! Congrats on a job well done!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian very nice job on the scratch build. The photo-posting process can be a pain the first time but its pretty easy after you get use to it.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few scratch built sheds from cardstock and wood, and the crane body's from scratch.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Mike, top notch! The crane looks outstanding...well, so do the sheds! Keep the pictures coming!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  2:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking models Mike. Where I come from, those would be classified as shacks, not sheds.

George

Ho Henry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all:

May I tip my hat to all of you, congratulations, a fellow member who loves scratchbuilding.

and DavidRay Theres no such thing as a low standard!

ho henry

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally dug these out of storage and figured I'd post them for some feedback. These were built waaaay back in the early 80's when I started tinkering in the hobby. The Junction Service was built from a photo of a small service station/motel unit in Northern Idaho that is now long gone.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I'm wondering what did you use for the screening material? Do you remember that far back?
Nice little structure once planted would look very nice even now. Pat

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It worked! Now I'll get the rest posted.

The Donkey was made from plans in an older RR mag., I don't remember which one.

The next 2 are a la Furlow and will find a spot on the modular layout that is under construction.
I move way too often and have dismantled and thrown away far too many start-up projects.
This one I'll be taking with me!
I even bought a special trailer for it...

And now for the MDC Climax tune-up!

The Climax needs some repair, but as I said they just came out of the storage box.
This was bashed from plans in an older MRR mag as well.

Steve in Kelowna

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pat, I'm sure once I brush the dust off it'll fit in somewhere. The memory is getting a little rusty but I'm sure that I used some wedding veil stuff that candies and such come wrapped in at weddings.
I likely still have some kicking around, I'm kind of a pack rat when it comes to collecting things for the hobby!

Steve

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This model is somewhat different from the usual excellent structures shown on Railroad Line. It was built in 1950 when the only way to get a model you wanted, was to scratch-build it.This is shown in front of the diesel house on the Glendale Model Railroad Club

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  05:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace

This model is somewhat different from the usual excellent structures shown on Railroad Line.
It was built in 1950 when the only way to get a model you wanted, was to scratch-build it.

Wallace-
That cab-forward is a real beauty-- a masterpiece in any decade! Did you work from a Mel Thornburgh article by any chance, or did you work just from blueprints? Had Kemtron started cranking out their exquisite lost wax castings by 1950? I really admire what you did with so little-- and that's no Egap Fable!
-Dave

P.S. I recently learned there is now a Bill Lenoir Museum in Cedar Falls, IA. Have you heard of it?
(Bill was a master model locomotive builder in the early 50's.)

-Dave

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks alot for the response I guess I missed it when you originally posted it. Pat

Wallace, thanks for sharing this great oddball of an engine, since I love these sort of things.
I have only found one doing a search and it was Soutern Pacific version on sale for $299
http://www.historicrail.com/historicrail/product_info.po?ID=13072&product=Models+and+Kits&category=railroads&subcategory=North%20American
Pat

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  2:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen: In response to questions: I used a plan published in MR, and followed photographs I took of Cab-Forwards while they were in service. I used my own methods in construction, and did not "follow" construction articles.
I might add that the valve gear reverses when the engine does; (on that, I followed an idea by Cornelius Anderson, who made the first loco to do that, as far as I know); the cab doors open and latch shut; the tool boxes atop the tender have opening lids, and there is a complete cab interior.
As I recall, Bill Lenoir built mostly in O scale, a museum of his work is a great thing for the hobby.
I hope some other people on the website are also interested in scratch-building brass locomotives; I would be glad to trade ideas.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's another beauty, Wallace!

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000