Railroad Line Forums - Why do you scratch build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: ibsentf ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Why do you scratch build
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Frank & Berthas Farm Build Topic Next Topic: USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread
Page: of 8

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  05:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scratch reaches to the depth of your passion, your imagination, the piston and driver of your abilities behind implementation. It's the difference between a musician performing his or her own song versus that of another artist. It tests your mettle, ability to improvise, hurtling obstacles to reach simple goals that collectively can, on occasion, produce a masterpiece. And doing so, you often walk alone to the end of the journey, but are greeted by an audience of admiration. If you're really good, perhaps one of them will pick up the gauntlet and go with it, and a new artist is born.

UP Fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well said, Bruce. And your analogy of the musician is spot on. I enjoy both forms of building simply for the pure enjoyment of working with wood. Something about the feel of the wood and the smell of sawdust that appeals to me. I just finished a scratch build of a barn using plans from Scale Model Plans http://www.scalemodelplans.com/. And my next build will be their CNoR 2nd Class Station. At the same time, I have two or three Bar Mills kits on the shelf waiting for their turn.

Bob B

"You're never lost if you don't care where you're going"

deanr
New Hire

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  9:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit deanr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Besides the joy of crafting something unique, another factor for me is that many of the kits available don't appeal to me much. Many kits make buildings that are too small to be plausible rail industries. Walthers plastic kits are large enough, but the tool-and-die work is pretty pathetic--way too coarse. Scratchbuilding lets me make a building as large as the space on my layout can accommodate, and I get to use scale lumber and the beautiful windows from Tichy or Grandt Line.

Dean

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  10:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I will use kits, when I can find one that works; or, kit-bash one to make it suffice, I have no problem building from scratch and do so anytime I feel the need to. I generally just go ahead and build without designing, as I feel confident enough that I can do so without making it look out of contest. Right now, I am building a snow shed that fits right up against a tunnel portal. No kits (that I know of) are available for a snow shed and even if they where, I think it unlikely that it would fit my location. Many years ago I purchased a supply of Evergreen plastic siding materials. I wanted to have a mine head-house where I needed one and because I had some corrugated sheeting available, i just went ahead and built one sort of designing as I went along, it turned out nicely. I think like the strongest contingency of voters in this poll, I find scratch building to be fun and a challenge and when completed I have something that brings more personal pride than a kit or kit-bash and "Heavens to Betsy " I have no need; or, want of ready built/Ready to Run on my layout!

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  10:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't bought a kit in 40 years. I have kits from the 50's and before, they are enough. 95% of what I run today is what I have scratch-built, because I want something nobody else has, one-of-a-kind, detailed to the best of my ability. I have scratch built 7 steam locomotives, (with trophies for all) and extra-detailed others.
The ultimate reward for me, is to set the new car on the layout and know it is something unique that I have made. Ego-Trip?
Yup.

Harry O
New Hire

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too voted OTHER.
I like 2 and 4 plus.
I enjoy making things unique to my idea of what is correct for the era and location I model.
I set a date of June x 1942 and the location from Colorado to California.
a lot of the 'kits' are either early or way to late sooooo I either mod or scratch.
harry O

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, to update my earlier post, which I see was some 5 years ago!!!! (but only on the previous page), I still enjoy scratch building much more than a kit build, and again, partly I do it because there isn't a model out there that fits what I want to do, and to be unique, but even more importantly, the cost. As times change, so can incomes, and expenditures have to be kept in check. Apart from the supplies of wood, brass and styrene, it cost a lot less to make my own model.

Now, having said all that, these last 2 years, I have actually built 3 kits. Oh my gosh, after way too many years to count, I broke down and did something different. One was the Sierra West Service and Loco shops, another was Feller's Garage from Monster Modelworks, and a small one from Wild West Models. However, if you've seen my models, they were altered a lot, especially Feller's. I managed, through some friends on the web, obtain some photos of the garage so I can add the second lower story, and a lot of details that were not in the kit, also, I changed the shorter side wall of the Loco shops, scratchbuilt the crane, water tower and small shed, and altered the oil tank. With the WW model, I had 2 kits (I bought an extra by mistake at a convention), so I changed the look totally in the front and rear of one.

I can still say I have something unique, even though I used a kit as a beginning for what I wanted to do. And I think that is what I wanted to add to this discussion, the kit can still be used, but changing it all around will make it different than the other kits of the same, and that is also just as enjoyable as scratch building, and I can have the best of two worlds.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  10:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Other. The reason is because I prefer a combination of several of the selections. While I have built many kits, I've found some inexplicably expensive, although that's not completely the driving factor. I usually modify the kit in some way anyhow, just so it doesn't look like the box. For example, I built Bar Mills Staton Marine inside out and put planking on it, so it looks nothing like the original. I do occasionally scratchbuild because I have an idea and there's no kit of it.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  11:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great discussion'..It's not even the excessive costs of the more affluent kits'.
To me, it just doesn't make sense to spend substantial funds for something that I can build my self. Build it exactly the way I want it. Not have to worry about missing parts,
and parts that don't fit correctly. Plus, I like using my imagination. And it's just plain fun to start with basic items and build a structure.

As Tony has stated, I too buy and build the occasional kit. I have also scratch built models, that after adding up the cost of special detail parts have actually cost more than the kit would have'...and then some.:-bigeyes]

Ted

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scratch build/modify things because I hate the factory look. If I can modify it I will.

Edited by - KomodoTurkey on 04/12/2016 09:01:20 AM

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Scott

Scratch reaches to the depth of your passion, your imagination, the piston and driver of your abilities behind implementation. It's the difference between a musician performing his or her own song versus that of another artist. It tests your mettle, ability to improvise, hurtling obstacles to reach simple goals that collectively can, on occasion, produce a masterpiece. And doing so, you often walk alone to the end of the journey, but are greeted by an audience of admiration. If you're really good, perhaps one of them will pick up the gauntlet and go with it, and a new artist is born.

quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

To Bruce Scott -- is this a modellers' forum or poets'? :) Beautifully said. JGDurand says it even more compactly :)

I don't have skills (nor eyes anymore) for locos and rolling stock, so the following concerns everything else, except most of my road/construction vehicles, boats and ships (at least the hull is from a ready-made thing).
The reasons in the Q's plus:
- I don't follow era/area/company protos, just develop my RRRailways empire :) as I go, often on the spur of the moment (additional constraint is the terrain and sq. ft. I got on the perimeter of 1 acre lot).
- Once I decide on "land-use plan" for a sub-area, I just build what's missing, with occasional ready-made stuff (asembled or not), but always bashed in case of buildings. My buildings, structures don't follow any protos, but some may resemble them, incl. work by other modellers. I do not draw plans, but build as I go, which I find more interesting and open to additional ideas as thy creep in.
- A piece of junk or such could instantly inspire a model, eg. the shape of plastic stool inspired a harbour management centre; related models and empire areas followed (2 lakes and connecting river w. a hydropower system on it, irrigation of the real garden from the lakes on the order of the Over-boss :))

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  08:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

I voted Other. I built Bar Mills Staton Marine inside out and put planking on it, so it looks nothing like the original.

OMG, that is an excellent idea, I love it. May have to look into that one day. Never thought of that scenario. Thank you.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  08:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have answered two equally: I want something that's not readily available, and I find the craftsman kits, while offering lots of detail and an easy build, are really quite spendy for my hobby budget.

For folks with limited time or patience, the kits provide good value for money, but I've got lots of time, patience and a laser cutter.

Edited by - MarcusF on 04/02/2018 08:52:20 AM

Bill Rose
New Hire

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  3:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to scratch build, as it is the best theropy for idle hands, but I injoy building models from kits also. So far i have built about 540 structures which include toonerville trollys, fr. and passanger cars industrial, farm, waterfront shanties etc.etc

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  12:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because it's a mental challenge, it's a skills challenge, it's an artistic challenge, it's a lot of love / hate relationship with the idea. But most of all, it's fun!

Jim

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Frank & Berthas Farm Build Topic Next Topic: USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000