Railroad Line Forums - Building a Jordan Kit Part 3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Building a Jordan Kit Part 3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brick Detail in “3-D printing” Topic Next Topic: More Expansion at the F&SM
Page: of 3

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part III of yout trilogy is as good as I and II Ken. Thanks for taking so much care to explain it all in such detail.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  4:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to say I know why I have not tried to build another Jordan vehicle since the early '90s. That was one tough job. And my model looks lousy - hopefully weathering will cover most of the booboos.

My question is, where on the sprues are the radiator cap and gas cap??? I notice in the final picture of the tutorial it shows a radiator cap but no gas cap that I can see.

Elliott

Edited by - ETinBH on 05/22/2004 4:40:33 PM

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  9:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ETinBH, you are not the only one having problems with the Jordan kit. Mine is an total disaster.

Something went terrible wrong with the paint job, and I didn't have the patient to strip the paint and redo it - big mistake - just look at the picture.
Maybe a heavy heavy weathering can disguise some of it, if not, then this will be kept in the drawer until I have a place on the (future) layout, all the way in the back.

Jesper

Edited by - jkristia on 05/22/2004 9:40:18 PM

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm why doesn't it show up

Download Attachment: IMG_1449.JPG
25.34 KB

Edited by - jkristia on 05/22/2004 9:44:55 PM

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  9:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, I gave up on wearing gloves, I did buy both latex and cotton gloves, and I was using it while preparing for painting, but after I saw the disastrous paint job (why didn't I strip the paint ), I decided just to finish the car, for practice, and then 'do it right' on the next one, lets see.
A couple of things that are not clear from the instruction, are the rear and front spring, I think I got it right, but am not sure. And the exhaust pipe, I can't figure out where to put it, so I will probably leave it out, no one will notice since the car will be hidden away.
This is a close up

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  10:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesper,
I don't think the paint job is as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes, it is noticable at extreme close-up. Question, how many people are going to take a magnifying glass to your layout? You are correct in that weathering will help. Place the truck where it is coming up a dirt road from the country and you will be fine. Another suggestion would be to have it abandoned & on blocks with weeds growing all over it. You did fine. Your next attempt will be better.
-david j

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Those models don't look that bad. My first kit was a total disaster and it ended up in the weeds as a junker.

Elliot,

The gas and radiator caps are on the left hand sprue in your pic. They gave you 4 for a very good reason.

Jesper,

It looks like the paint was too thick when you applied it. Was wondering if you used Ceramcoat. If you did it needs to be really thin. A little rust/weathering and it'll look fine.

In memory of Mike Chambers

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  10:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A better paint job

Today after I finished the first Jordan car, I decided to try something different for painting the next one. So I went to Pep Boys and bought a can of automotive gray primer and a can of light blue. Wow, except for a limited choice of colors, it's so much easier to use that kind of spray paint instead of Testors. The primer dries in 1/2 hour, then it's ready for paint. I tried not to spray too thick, but even with a light coat, it almost covers completely, 1/4 - 1/2 hour later you can give the second light coat. It took me about 1 hour to paint this car, from the first primer until the second coat was dry. But actual time spend was probably more like 5 minutes, with no airbrush cleaning, no paint mixing, no paint bottle cleaning or anything.

I know a lot of you have probably already tried automotive spray paint (don't know if that is what it is actually called, the brand name is "Plastic-Kote" at Pep Boys), and I had tried spray paint before (Krylon from Home Depot) with not too great a result, but this time it just went on smooth and perfect.

Wonder how many cars I can paint from that one can?, enough to fill an entire layout :)

For some reason the colors are all wrong, the background was kind of red-ish, and the colorcast in Photoshop turned it gray instead of white.

Edited by - jkristia on 05/23/2004 10:43:47 PM

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  11:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, this one I'm happy with. Turned out as good as I could have hoped. I think you can get hooked on building these tiny cars :)

Edited by - jkristia on 05/27/2004 11:23:46 PM

TrevorCreek
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  07:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see TrevorCreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jesper,

Very nice. Looks like this can easily be a foreground car. Good job.

Frank

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  08:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks great, Jesper. What vehicle is next?

Chuck

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  11:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking car! I have tried the Krylon also and wasn't totally happy with the result, though it was more than tolerable. Thanks for the tip on the primer at Pep Boys!

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  10:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Jesper Very good fit on the body panels.

I'll be trying the new paint for plastic from Krylon. No need for primer and it chemically bonds to the plastic producing a smooth finish.

At least thats what they say...

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  9:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great lookiing model. Thanks for the paint tip.

Paul

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  10:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted a couple of vehicles for Red Bird Gas so I tried something a little different. The 1920 Center Door Sedan is one of a few Jordan kits that come with an engine, so I thought I'd try to make an open hood.
I'll place a mechanic working on it along with some of his tools when it's finished.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Brick Detail in “3-D printing” Topic Next Topic: More Expansion at the F&SM  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000