Railroad Line Forums - Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 178 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works) Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Page: of 3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, as long as you've been building models, your junk box is probably a gold mine and could cover missing parts for several future builds.

George

Fly Army

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Bruce, you're on. The only Campbell kit I've built was the Livestock Feed Corral. The P.O. had removed 1/2 of the parts, and then shrink wrapped the box. I 'won it' at the Orlando Convention's Silent Auction. Fun making the missing parts! Use those classic shingles.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by resqrk

I recently built the sand house from this kit. Like yours, I bought it from someone and it was missing the entire sand bin as well as a lot of the sand tower parts and castings. I'll be watching how you handle that....
Rick

Rick,

I will try to explain the substitutions I make.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bruce, as long as you've been building models, your junk box is probably a gold mine and could cover missing parts for several future builds.

George

So true, George.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

I'm reading Bruce, you're on. The only Campbell kit I've built was the Livestock Feed Corral. The P.O. had removed 1/2 of the parts, and then shrink wrapped the box. I 'won it' at the Orlando Convention's Silent Auction. Fun making the missing parts! Use those classic shingles.

Jim

Jim,

Dimensions sent. Many thanks. Okay, I stick with the Campbell shingles.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  10:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, don't depend on the adhesive on those Campbell shingles. But consider, wouldn't the slate quarry give your RR a great deal on slates? That's why all my RR structures have slate roofs :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bruce, don't depend on the adhesive on those Campbell shingles. But consider, wouldn't the slate quarry give your RR a great deal on slates? That's why all my RR structures have slate roofs :-)

dave

Good question, Dave! One good tip I had from Bob Hayden decades ago was to glue the shingles down with white glue, then take a brush and cover the roof with thinned white glue to get the things to sit like actual shingles. One or two here and there can be picked up, but the roof that looks like cupped Mediterranean tiles means the building owner needs to pay better attention, as the place is no longer water-tight and the money invested in the place may very well be washed or rotted away. Yes, it's artistic, but we're talking real business money here!

And given the environmentally friendly product that Bruce's Railroad is shipping all over the place, you'd think he could negotiate a decent rate for slate for keeping the shipping method alive!

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  2:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just hate waiting for the mail too.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're the man, Jim!

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Pete, we have slate, true. But remember that the Slate Run is one of the Logging Railroads of Pennsylvania, too. Old Mr. Keyser who owns the shingle mill in the woods appreciates a little business, too.

The last time I used Campbell shingles, I used transfer tape. That didn't stop the curling, but those shingles are not coming off the roof.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  7:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre a lucky guy, Bruce.

I usually use generous slobber when I glue down Campbell shingles. And I burnish each row down before adding the next. Thug donít come up and cupping is almost eliminated. However, I like the thinned white glue trick as insurance, Pete.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Youíre a lucky guy, Bruce.

I am indeed, Mike.

I'm starting work on the sand bin. The dowels are made of a hard wood, so adding wood grain with a razor saw was a bit more difficult than when working with basswood. I also cut one end of the dowels at 45 degrees to "help shed water". After that, I soaked the parts in A&I. Notice the graduated width of the boards in the scribed siding.

I have also started gluing the exterior posts to the walls. I think that this photo will show the wood grain that I added to the dowels.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on those dowels!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I can see the grain on the posts very clearly and it is very good. It looks just right.

Regarding roof material, I know your railroad serves the slate industry, but Iím sure it also ships forest products, so a wood shake roof makes sense, particularly on such a lowly structure.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bruce,

... so a wood shake roof makes sense, particularly on such a lowly structure.

Mike

Mike, I am indeed going to use the Campbell shingles. But as far as putting a slate roof on lowly structures, I took this picture of an outhouse in Bangor, PA (heart of the PA slate belt). Unfortunately, the sun was shining brightly off the roof and I couldn't trespass to get closer, so this is the best that I could do.

BTW, there was a slate pit literally in their back yard, just beyond that tree line. Slate for the outhouse was probably laying around for the taking.

Bruce

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works) Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000