Railroad Line Forums - What to do when your coal load is too short 4 car!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 232 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 What to do when your coal load is too short 4 car!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with a cheap undecorated  bulkhead flat Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  11:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I have a Walther's 6-pack quad bay 100 ton hopper car kit set. I bought many years ago and just happen to open a box of rolling stock and out came this set.

1) Walthers quad 100 ton hopper car is longer than the plastic coal load pack I had on hand.

2) Walthers 6-pack car kit (collectors edition #3).

3) Floor bottom cut open. Note: car inside is factory painted flat black.

4) B-end details added are brass wire air piping and brake chain w/cog wheel, air hose, un-coupling lift bar and metal kadee couplers.

5) Styrene rod car side air line, car center sill metal weights with cerrabend added in center. Note: all add on bay doors w/latches glued on with open door latches w/brass wire latch connecting rod added.

6) Inside of car with cut open floor doors.

7) Car needed weight to bring up to NMRA standards. Cerrabend moldable metal added underneath car. Note: weights canít be seen when car is upright.

8) Plastic coal load added with styrene slop w/real coal glued on. Note: coal rests on flat center beam platform.

9) Painted inside of whole car with aluminum color and weathered with oil paints/pan pastels.

10) Outside of car is weathered with several layers and colors of oil paint. Note: effect is a light dusty grime look (even tho I take poor pictures).

11) Overall car weathering and detailing.

12) B-end overall view.

13) Notice the coal has clumped together from the dirt and moisture that has found itís way into the coal from sitting on the ground.

14) Notice the inside car coal line weathering.

15) Notice overall car weathering.

16) Overall weathered side of car with open doors on bay 4.

The following are more views of car.

20) Overall weathering view of underneath of car. Note: Branch line trains metal wheels replace the plastic kit wheels.

Hope this pictorial was helpful. Thanx Thom...

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  11:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may have Forgot to mention the backstory of this car is a learning worker may have forgotten to properly latch one of the bays or possibly a vandal might have been a little board for something to do.
Thanx Thom...

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very convincing car and load.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on the car details, weathering and coal load. Not many of our models have back stories.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A unique car and load that looks neatand a nifty solution to the short load, Thom.
Now will you need to have a trail of coal between the rails wherever this car roams?
Or, you also could glue more coal onto a pair of hopper size strips of tape that you
position running from the hoppers into a coal chute and have a neat scene.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great execution of an inventive idea.

George

Fly Army

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  07:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, a very nice solution.

Bruce

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever solution for 1 car; now what are you going to do with the other 5? Buy more coal?

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for all the generous compliments. I'm almost finished with the second car and have different Ideas for cars 3 & 4.
I will post each car here as I finish them (hopefully in short order)!
Thanx Thom...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  10:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One inexpensive way to "resolve" this situation would be to cut some blue-board insulation (also comes in pink) to size for the car, perhaps mount a large nut on the bottom of the "inside" with glue or latex caulk, paint the whole thing with acrylic/latex black, then create the load on top with foam or sand from the side of the road or the beach, paint all of that black, set the thing into the car body with plastic wrap to keep things from bonding to the car, cover it all with coal from a scenery supplier and glue it down. A "skim coat" of coal will give the desired effect.

The nut inside will allow you to hold a magnet on top of the load and magically unload the car for its return to the mine.

<edit>: Nice job on the first car in the series!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 02/18/2021 10:01:47 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  11:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a neat Idea. Worth filing away for later

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  11:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Car #2 is now completed.
Since this build is basically the same as 1st car (the only difference is I added sound and a full load).
Rather than bore you with the same pictures here's a test sound build video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tiTZLTdcxI So what say you?
Car #3 will be again completely different.
Thanx Thom...

Previous Topic: What to do with a cheap undecorated  bulkhead flat Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000