Railroad Line Forums - Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 204 ]  [ Total: 207 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for this roller set for Cobble Stone Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress
Page: of 6

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  08:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your coaling tower is looking good. It looks like you have a plenty of rolling stock waiting for your layout.

George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

You're doing a great job on these structures.

That's quite a wall of kits in the background.

Mike

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  4:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Wow, you've gotten a lot accomplished since I last checked in.
The building kits look great, the vegetation and extra items on the bases really work well.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/18/2021 4:32:18 PM

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  11:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!

George and Mike. You should have seen the wall a few months ago. It went nearly to the rafters. I weathered all the RTR cars which knocked about a third off the pile. Since then I have added a few new kits to the wall and a few RTR cars. I can't resist NYO&W kits. Since Bowser released some new RTR cabooses I picked up several Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. I also finally found a non "Coast Guard" Jersey Central RTR caboose.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  11:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I finished building the coaling tower. This proved to be somewhat of challenge and very frustrating at times. Several pieces were warped which made for difficulties getting pieces to fit correctly. On several occasions the instructions were vague on how pieces went together and there were no marks, pins, holes, etc. on the pieces to help. Luckily, I was able to determine where they went by trail and error or the pictures on the box.

The most frustrating thing, however, were the coal chutes, in particular the rigging. The thread supplied was too large. I tried different thread and wire, but nothing looked right. After a rather annoying session of trying to rig one of chutes and a couple of pieces coming off the model and a glue spill, I seriously contemplated throwing the kit against the nearest wall. After a long break I made my peace that the chutes will not have rigging.

I painted a few items on the model and declared it ready for weathering.

Edited by - TomPM on 03/23/2021 12:01:50 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Tom!

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I realized it has been a while since I posted an update. So here we go.

I finished weathering the coaling tower. Adding the tracks for the hoppers to unload and the tracks under the coal bin are the only things remaining. I plan to add them when I place the tower on the layout.

I am going to work on the track laying for the next few days.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Tom.

George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  08:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Your weathering looks very realistic. Good job.

Mike

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  9:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

I am a little behind on posting updates. Here is a quick one.

I finished the inner loop.

This is temporary as there are switches to be added to create the third partial loop. Once the switches arrive, I can begin working on that aspect.

Two things that will occur before the addition of the third loop is the laying of the yard for the engine facilities. I am not sure how this is going to look since this is a change from the original plans which called for a yard with some industries in the area of where the engine facilities will be.

The other is adding the Water Tower Diorama. At this point I have no clue where it is going to go or how I am going to manage it. The location will be on the other side of the layout from the city. That part of the layout will be the last to be worked on. Wherever it goes it will most likely be a temporary location.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  10:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The next structure I am working on for the Layout Remake is the Walthers Two Stall Engine House.

Here is what the walls look like fresh out of the box.

First step is to fill in the mortar lines. For this I painted the walls with a thinned Folk Art Vintage White. I then wiped off the excess paint.

This all the walls finished.

Next, I will paint the capstones, keystones, and other special blocks/bricks a stone like color.

I know the walls look stark at this time. I will be sealing them with a flat coat and then doing some weathering.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2021 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  9:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since I cannot work on the Engine House due to either paint or sealer drying, I decided to fiddle with the engine yard. I am not developing anything that I truly like. I feel there is too much wasted space. Also, the missing switches are not helping things. I went an order a few more on Saturday. We will see which get here first; the ones that left Oklahoma City on April 2nd or the ones I ordered from Brooklyn on Saturday.

Here are a few photos of the latest configuration.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2021 :  08:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have several other models to add to the scene as seen in the photos below. The white piece of cardboard is the footprint of the Engine House. Some things In addition to the placement of these structures I need to resolve and create a place to store full and empty coal hoppers, sand hoppers, and fuel tank cars. Then there is what to do with the ashes.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/13/2021 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see your progress, TomPM, glad someone is working on their layout,

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Looking for this roller set for Cobble Stone Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000