Railroad Line Forums - Choices Challenge Flat & Gon cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Choices Challenge Flat & Gon cars
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to start out with an old Simpson kit for a 36' flat car, and then in parallel scratch build a 36' low side gondola.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the Simpson kit is literally a box of wood, and page of instructions that give you a template and list of all the non-wood parts you need to build the kit.

Going to take an hour or less to extract all the those parts or their equivalent from my parts bins, but should be very doable.

Need to pull from stake pockets and some other wood bits for the low side gon, too.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ought to be fun to watch, Martin. A person could use a kit like this as a template for scratchbuilding additional flat cars, sort of like you're going to do.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time, there was a hobby shop ~25 minutes away that I might have gotten a kit's worth of castings from in a single trip (he was an O scale modeler, but in traction). Now I'd be 5 hours browsing the internet and then wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Ought to be fun to watch, Martin. A person could use a kit like this as a template for scratchbuilding additional flat cars, sort of like you're going to do.

Thanks, Mike!

Building these is very much like building the flat car kit that I developed ~15-18 years ago.

Yes, and the lesson that I taught in clinics was that the flat car was the basis and building platform for lots of other cars.

quote:
.....a hobby shop ~25 minutes away that I might have gotten a kit's worth of castings from in a single trip (he was an O scale modeler, but in traction). Now I'd be 5 hours browsing the internet and then wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I know this pain,

Edited by - mwbpequod on 01/05/2021 1:01:21 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flat car from kit is assembled and decking going down.

Copy car for the low side gon is also assembled with decking going down. There was a 2nd packet of decking in the kit. Probably will have to pull a few bits from my strip wood stick to make sure that the decking fits even.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a good start, Martin. It looks like you know what you're doing.

George

Fly Army

Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000