Railroad Line Forums - Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 231 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWests  Main Street..... Upscaled Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Page: of 3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2021 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love all the details that you are adding, Glen. Very nice job on the painting, too.

Bruce

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  10:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.

I added the front wall but first glued in the desk and the two interior walls.

And finally, the front wall.

Next are the interior's furniture and fittings.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  7:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,
Nice interior color, I like yellow. I enjoy the amount of detail you folks put into the interior.
Not sure anyone will be able to see such detail in Z.
Scott

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  9:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott.

I got quite a bit more done today, starting with the furniture:

Included is a desk chair, a dresser, bedside table, and two benches. They all take a steady hand, tweezers and patience to assemble.

The two benches are easier to assemble that they might seem. The 'slats' are actually one piece that are laser engraved and cut to look like individual pieces. The lay onto the framework and bend easily around the seat and back of the bench.

I also started on the roof, assembling all the rafters into the ceiling plate.

After that I glued the ridge panel in. The roof is built very sturdy because it's designed to be removed so you will be able to see the interior when it's done.
One thing that I did that I shouldn't have was to paint the ceiling plate on one side before assembly. Once I did that I filled in some of the slots that the rafter's tabs fit in and so I have to open those up to get things to fit right. I also found that painting the ridge panel was unnecessary and made it's fit a bit tighter than it needed to be.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  12:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Glen. I asked on the other thread about the benches, but I see you've explained it here. Obviously a very well made product.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  08:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The benches are spiffy indeed.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  5:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen very nice build. I like all the interior detail. Having a removable roof will be great to show all the inside detail. Very nice.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.

I've almost completed the station in the past week, starting with the interior:

I painted and added the 3-d printed stove, typewriter and telegraph equipment. The telegraph parts were very fragile and I broke them a bit but it's not very noticeable. I also installed the furniture and bed in the bedroom. The mattress for the bed comes as a laser-cut wood part. I made the blanket using some double-ply tissue and glued it to the mattress. I then painting it with an off-white and airbrushed the stripes to make it into a Hudson's Bay Blanket. (What could be more Canadian than that?)

I then used some photo-reduced copies of magazines and papers to populate the waiting room and office space. I'll probably add some figures in later.

I also finished off the roof. I sheeted the top and added the fascia boards to the ends

Then I added the shingles. I used Scotch double-sided tape to stick them down.

It takes a bit of finesse to get the shingles around the chimney, but they look pretty good when completed. I used some weathering powder around the chimney.

And then I installed the roof. The roof is designed to be removable so it's a friction fit with the rafters fitting into the slots on the top of the walls. I did have to trim some of the slots to get a proper fit but it went together fairly easy. It was a this time that the instructions tell you to add the kit's LED lighting but I have a different plan so I'll do that later when some parts show up.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  8:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glen, Very nice! You did a beautiful job on the interior and exterior!

David Guffey

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David.

I pretty much finished off the project. All I needed to do was to build the front platform.

The kit comes with some stripwood and a template for it. I pinned it to a small piece of foam with some wax paper over it.

Then I pinned and assembled the platform on top of it. I stained the wood with Micro-Mark's Brown weather-it stain.

and then it was done.

I placed it on the layout where it will eventually go. I haven't done any real scenery in this area yet but you get the idea. I am thinking of shortening the width of the platform to 2/3 of it's size as it seems a bit wide for the area I'm chosen.

I do have a lighting kit coming yet. I'll update this thread when that arrives.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  9:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Glen. The roof looks especially nice.
And the deck is also nice.
Looks a good spot for it. I guess you'll be back working on the new layout again soon.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  11:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen great job on the station. The shingles and platform look very good.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  08:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking station, Glen.

George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Very nice. You did a great job.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Glen!

Bruce

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: SierraWests  Main Street..... Upscaled Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000