Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 223 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 28 (Part 2)
Page: of 16

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good progress. Details are filling up nicely.
Is it possible to swap the boiler and engine. It would make more sense to me to have the boiler near the door, easier for feeding the fire and probably safer too.
Karl.A

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thank you for the compliment. I'll have to check out switching the boiler and engine. My only concern would be connecting the engine to the pulley line without using a super long belt; although I could put in a small secondary line for the engine and attach that to the main line up in the rafters. Sounds interesting; we'll see.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  04:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I can tell you're having a lot of fun with this build.
All the details look very good and really bring the shop to life.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thank you for the nice compliment; much appreciated. Yes I'm really enjoying this build and am having a blast doing it. It's something that I have admired from other's work for quite awhile but didn't feel my skill level was up to it; but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I think the experience is making me a better modeler.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  2:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The third machine is finished, except for more weathering just before it's glued into place:

The Horizontal Milling Machine went together pretty well. The whole thing was spray painted light grey and then given a coat of A&I; so now it matches the lathe. Most of the handles and pulleys were painted with gun metal paint. The table was left as is but will be "oiled up" when final weathering is done.

It was suggested to me to have the boiler closer to the door going into the addition which makes sense. However I'm not crazy about the vertical steam engine being behind it and I really don't want to put in a secondary overhead line being that this is a small shop. It was also mentioned not to overload the shop with machines. So here's my solution; I'm going to have the engine in the second row with one other machine so that I only need to use one overhead line. These three machines are all there will be for the main shop; that way the shop won't be overloaded with machines. I may need to add a few more details to the left wall where the engine was, but that's fine. Doing things this way will leave me some more options for the addition.

That's it for now. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  3:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was working on my machine shop (A Long Time Ago...), I photocopied the floor and then experimented with different machine layouts. I could draw the belt runs on that floor plan, and try several different ones until I found which one worked best.

The floor is a scan of the flooring piece, and the two sides are from the (Winchendon Machine) kit.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2021 :  4:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thanks; that's an ingenious way to get the right "fit" for the shop. Never thought of doing that. Although I think I have it almost figured out; just need to try a few more variations before settling on one.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, very nice job on those machines.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your really getting the hang of doing the machines very nice indeed.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  10:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thank you. Actually, to my surprise, they are a lot of fun to put together.

Jerry thank you, much appreciated. The Steam Hammer, the Grand Daddy of them all, has all kinds of levers and pins so after doing the first three I feel pretty good about tackling such a complex machine...we'll see.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  05:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, I can almost hear those leather belts humming. Looking forward to the layout. ~mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  10:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you; you'll really be able to hear the belts humming when I get the overhead line done.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  10:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larryc

Mike thank you; you'll really be able to hear the belts humming when I get the overhead line done.

I've been lucky to hear 2 different machine shops running. They are not quiet places. There's the rotational noise from the pulleys, the slap of the belts, the sound of the steam engine at one end, and that's before any machine noise.

dave

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thank you for the information. Yes you are fortunate to have seen and heard actual machine shops operating. With all of that noise I wonder how many guys were "hard of hearing" after a career in one of those shops. Back then I doubt that they had any kind of hearing protection. Obviously a newer "electric" driven shop must have been somewhat quieter.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sA2XDr65LQ Noise is consistent with what I've heard elsewhere. Turn the volume up! :-)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 02/05/2021 11:52:05 AM

Page: of 16 Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 28 (Part 2)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000