Railroad Line Forums - Friday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Friday morning lounge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Saturday morning lounge
Page: of 2

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  07:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all, from bone chilling 27f N.E.Indiana. The coffee urn has just signaled READY with Getoffyerduff blend yet again today. The special is SOS (Gray stuff). We did a boil advisory on the oatmeal pot yesterday, and there is a fresh pot today. It's sitting at the end of the line along with the other beverages.

I made a little progress on the scratchbuild turntable yesterday. I ordered a flat thrust bearing to smooth out the center pivot. The servo I chose could easily turn a G scale loco, but the movement is a tad jerky. So, it's wait for that bearing to show up to go forward.

Question of the Day:
What and where was the worst restaurant breakfast you can remember?

I laughed at all the 'persnickety' comments yesterday, I think this question might be fun.

Have a safe and Super day!

Jim
Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember some pretty nasty "free" hotel breakfasts, with stale rolls and questionable dairy products...

On the other hand, I think my best breakfast memories are when I was on active duty in the Army.

Jim, the Kitwood Hills model uses bronze thrust bearings and a steel shaft. One bearing is on the pit (hidden by the spider). The other is about 1" below the pit, in an enclosure that frames the gear on the TT shaft. The parts are all laser-cut (including the pit base) with the enclosure anchored by tabs cut into the base, making things very accurate. It's a MUCH better system than the old Diamond Scale kits. Since I can't post photos any more without a lot of difficulty, send me an email and I'll send you some photos.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mid 30s and searing forecast of 40 and, like in the mood, dull gray here today.

Looking at the FreeCAD program today, I d/l'd it last evening, watch a video on it. My Fusion360 seems to have kicked me to the curb, so...

No big plans today, I figure why start something that will just sit the next time we go North...did that last week and two days of a start just sits...

Everyone have a good day, worst breakfast? none stand out, some real disappointments at Cracker Barrel in recent years after they set such high expectations in prior trips. The worst, I guess, of any are at places here in the Northern US where kitchen staff, hate to call them "cooks", can't make grits usually so runny they look like something wiped off the face of a 1 year old...runny and cold. Grits SHOULD be thick enough to hold your spoon up when you stick it in. Anything less is just gruel.

Be WELL

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 12/04/2020 09:02:01 AM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning itís 29f degrees feeling like 22 with a high of 42. It is beautifully clear.

Worst breakfast: a Dennyís on the road about 2 in the morning in Pennsylvania. Almost burnt hash browns, running away scrambled eggs and over done sausages

This is the 5th and 6th Surge bins from Walthers I have built. I thought I knew how to assemble the bin and they looked great. They didnít line up with the support legs,
do not use the heat gun on high to disassemble the glued bin rings. I will call in an order today for curbside pickup for 2 Surge bins.

Jim, thanks for opening. Dave, I thought of another tool for your FB question you have going. Karl, I admire the fact you are even trying to learn new Cad programs. I
would love to have a 3d printer, I just donít want to learn anything that is software. I had enough of that while working.

TomO

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  09:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

It is 43 with an anticipated high of 49. We are expecting some rain later today.

The wife and I went out last evening around 7:30 to pick up her online order and to drop off an Amazon return. She was surprised how empty the roads and the store were. It has been like this since the initial lockdown in March. Rush hour traffic has returned to almost normal, but it dissipates quickly in the evening. It seems people go to work in the morning and return home in the evening and then stay home. We are the opposite as we are home all day since everyone works from home. The wife suggested that perhaps we do our shopping in the evening rather than during the day or weekends.

I did get to run some trains yesterday. Since I apparently fixed the one issue things ran much smoother.

Today I have to run and pick up something for my wife at her school. I also need to grab a few groceries while I am out.

The modeling debate is to weather hoppers or build Tropicana reefers.

Worst breakfasts. I guess I will have to go with some of the free hotel ones. However, there was this bed and breakfast in Niagara Falls, Ontario, my wife and I stayed. The owner served ďhealthyĒ breakfasts. One day it was an egg inside a piece of toast which to me was disgusting as the egg was undercooked. The two breakfasts we had there was no bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, or anything I would call normal. We left and headed out to one of the local eating establishments to get a real vacation breakfast. The first day we were there about 10 people ate at the table, the second 4, and the day we left only two and they were new arrivals.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. It is cloudy and 37 degrees here in S.E. Michigan. We will go into the low 40's today.

The schedule for today includes more time working on the NMRA website revisions.

It is our youngest son's birthday today. We gave him his gifts and celebrated the birthday when he was here for Thanksgiving. We will give him a call later today.

Have a great day!

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Morning Jim and crew. Over cast and 40įF here in the Up-State.

Just got done topping off the coal stove and finally brought in the cushions from the lawn furniture. Have to put them up someplace so the critters won't get at them and use the stuffing for nesting so I put them on top of the wife's Beetle, "Bugys", and told the wife her car had an ice pack on it's head. She cracked up.

Ok so yesterday I expected to get the rest of my casting material. No joy. Looked again this morning at the location. Looks like it's traveling around the post office. What is this last minute ballots? Or is the Alphabet Soup sending samples to the labs to be inspected for.....What?

Jim, have you checked out this company for bearings? https://www.vxb.com/default.asp

Have fun and save day everybody.

UPDATE: My casting material arrived just before I was ready to sign off on the forum. Going to be an enjoyable weekend casting and I don't mean for fish.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Edited by - Bernd on 12/04/2020 10:01:50 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew! 42F with forecast of rain in northern WV. We missed our walks yesterday and today looks iffy.

Worst breakfast: chunks of glass in my cereal at a hotel in Denver.

Iím going to be doing some NMRA work also, and definitely modeling.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Good morning crew! 42F with forecast of rain in northern WV. We missed our walks yesterday and today looks iffy.

Worst breakfast: chunks of glass in my cereal at a hotel in Denver.

Iím going to be doing some NMRA work also, and definitely modeling.

Mike

Well Mike, That one tops my Biscuits & Gravy with a moldy Hot Dog bun as 'the biscuit'. at a now CLOSED restaurant in Rochester, Indiana.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 12/04/2020 12:04:32 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl try this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-renew-your-hobbyist-enthusiast-license-for-Fusion-360.html

All your 'stuff' is saved exactly as you left it.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon, Jim and crew. What started as a trip to Costco to get some things during senior hour, turned into a morning with many stops. The one I anticipated as being really bad turned out OK. I was the only person in line at the post office.

I agree with Dave, some of my motel breakfasts have been pretty sorry. I love the hotel breakfasts in Europe with all the fresh bread, meats and cheeses.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was the only person in line at the post office.

Lucky man!

I spent 45 min in line at the PO on Wed.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  4:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Karl try this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-renew-your-hobbyist-enthusiast-license-for-Fusion-360.html

Jim

Great to know Jim. I went there and checked it out. Left some positive feedback to still getting a hobbyist license free. Thanks for the link.

Bernd

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  7:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU JIM!

quote:
Karl try this:

Jim

Much appreciated.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  10:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd

I see you have an admirer on your signature at MRH forums. People need to learn to live again.

TomO

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2020 :  11:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Bernd

I see you have an admirer on your signature at MRH forums. People need to learn to live again.

TomO

Got an E-mail from Jeff at MRH saying that he removed my tag line saying they don't need dog whistles. I wrote back to terminate my membership to the forum. And I changed my folder on my server to remove a majority of the pictures I posted on their forum. That's one reason I use a private server to host all my pictures. I now know where any/all my future articles for the railroad magazines are going to and it isn't going to be MRH. To me MRH is a Left Coast magazine.

Bernd

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Saturday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000