Railroad Line Forums - Climax A Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 254 ]  [ Total: 258 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Climax A Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 28
Page: of 4

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the Family Farm is nearing completion I thought that I would start another project to do along with the farm. This one however is going to be totally different and not nearly as large; well at least not yet.

Back in 1997 I bought an issue of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette which had a story about a Climax A engine that was built and ran on a private railway. The article intrigued me and I soon sat and did a pencil drawing of what mine might look like. At that point in time I was busy working and also had more family obligations so the idea of such a build was put on the back burner; which turned out to be years. Also my modeling skills were not up to the task.

So now we fast forward to 2020, after doing the farm as well as other builds, I think that my skills are good enough to give this a go.

The build will be my version of a Climax A as a very early model. The reason that I say my version is because I'm building with what parts I can find. Will it be historically accurate...probably not; but it will be my interpretation. Here is my inspiration:

My build will be similar to this with the water tank in the front and a steam engine in the cab and gear driven. The vertical boiler will be towards the back with a stack of wood to feed the boiler. For now this will be a static model, hopefully that will change latter on.

The floor plan's size may change narrow wise when I put the steam engine together and see how much room that it takes up with the boiler. The top drawing was the one that I did back in 1998 which was tucked away in the magazine. Speaking of parts I have what I need to start the build:

The nice thing about these parts they are made in the U.S.A; strange but true. They are clean with little or no flashing made from white metal. I've assembled a couple of small kits before made of white metal, so I hope these will be no different. These came from Rhode Island to New York in 5 days from order to mailbox...not too bad. Also there are 3 pages of detailed instructions which I will study very carefully; don't want any oops.

I will get into the colors and finishes as I start the actual building process. Still need to order the detailing parts from San Juan Miniatures for the Climax and the farm while I start the project. This should be a fun build along with finishing up the Farm.

That's it for now so any comments and even more so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  6:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Check your messages. There is a surprise note for you.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  6:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Your project looks like one of those unusual creations that I find so interesting. Iím anticipating a lot of fun here for all of us: builder and spectator alike.

As it happens we hosted a regional NMRA convention here in WV in 1999 and this fellowís backyard railroad was one of our tours. As one of the convention organizers I stuck around the convention hotel and was unable to see it.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, looks like a nice good looking project.
I'll be sure to follow along.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  7:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Larry: Also there are 3 pages of detailed instructions which I will study very carefully;

Say what? You know that places your "Man Card" in jeopardy...

That is an interesting project and those castings look mighty well done.

Lots of nice looking things in their catalog online.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 11/20/2020 8:05:14 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler
Lots of nice looking things in their catalog online.

I agree.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry that certainly was a surprise note and I'll drop him an email tomorrow for sure.

Michael thank you and I'll try not to disappoint. It's a shame that you were unable to see the railway; from reading the article I'm sure that seeing it in person would have been a treat.

Rick thanks for following along. I'm excited for this build since it has been years on the back burner.

Karl I'd rather have my "Man Card" in jeopardy than make a fatal mistake.lol. Crow River does has lots of nice items and the prices aren't too bad either.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  10:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your off to a great start Larry!

Philip

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  09:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see the finished product

See
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44268

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49171&whichpage=5

Edited by - JGDURAND on 11/21/2020 09:28:00 AM

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  10:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip thank you, this is going to be an interesting build.

JgDurand thank you for the links to some of your projects. The Climax looks really nice; but mine is going to be more "back woodsy" if there is such a term. Also the horse and buggy looks amazing. What scale is it? It looks to be at least half inch scale. Thanks for stopping by.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay you cows look out he's coming through with a loco!!!!!

I'm sure to be following along.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here we go!
I like this stuff!
Looking forward to following along.

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Larry for your interest in my work.
The buckboard is on a scale of 1: 20.3

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49171&whichpage=5

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thanks; I'm going to need all the help I can get and may throw a few questions your way when it comes to machinery.

Dave thank you; glad to have you aboard.

JgDurand your welcome; I like seeing what others are doing. May even borrow an idea or two.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice ideas for your Class A Climax, looking forward to your progress. My type of interest here!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  5:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou thanks and welcome aboard. Given your expertise in backwoods/logging railroads, I was wondering if you were going to stop by. Glad to have your input. This is going to be a fun build. Yup, no pressure here.lol.

Page: of 4 Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 28  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000