Railroad Line Forums - Junkyard Dog Diesel
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 246 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Junkyard Dog Diesel
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...) Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 4

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  4:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic looking progress, and ideas Dave. Thanks for the added proto air filter picture for us to visualize. You are turning out a great looking loco there!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your really adding the detail. Great job. Looking forward to the next post.

Be careful out there on the roads with the Holiday coming!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis and Jerry!

I spent a lot of time with my girlfriend and her son this weekend and didn't get a lot of modeling time.

I did get a few things done though.

I made an exhaust stack for it instead of the casting that came with it.

I built one for another critter I did that I made a heat shield for.

I'm a truck driver and like the look.

I also edited my drawing for the roof and made it 2mm wider, cut it out of thin brass sheet and worked it with my hands to get the shape closer to the curve of the roof and attached it with 2 part fast setting epoxy.

After it was set I rubbed my thumb over the side edges to get the bend on them.

I still need to make a small ring to clean up the bottom edge where I was nibbling at it to get the height I wanted and got into my drilled holes.

The other little bit of free time I had I used to download and install Autodesk Fusion 360 and go through the first lesson from a YouTube series for beginners on working with it.

I'd like to get a 3D printer but my simple cad program doesn't do 3D and I want to be sure I can handle the program before I spend any money on a printer.

Later
Have a great day everyone.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Air filter and stack look great! What is that plate with PO under the grill?

Philip

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stack! But I love that roof excellent job on both.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  10:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I still need to make a small ring to clean up the bottom edge where I was nibbling at it to get the height.

When making "critters" bumpy - bent - crooked look right in place. Leave smooth and clean for those other guys.

Frank

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  6:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered about that PO plate too.

Everything looks real good to me.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  5:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
Frank your right thanks for reminding me.
Iím in the dark as well on that little plate.
Itís part of the casting.
Maybe a joke by Yorke?
Look closer and itís not PO.
Itís POS.
I know what that means where Iím from.
Piece of sh?t.
I canít believe it though. Lmao

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Classified POS

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave great looking critter and I like the details you've added. After doing Gn15 for awhile critters hold a special place for me.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  6:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Classified POS

Philip

LMAO!

It's killin me how slow I'm progressing with is.
Only so many hours in a day.

I'm still making detail bits.
One of the guys who did a test build added some weights to the rear of the cab.
I thought they looked interesting so I made a set just to have a go and maybe add them to mine.

I've also ordered some etchings of louvers so I'll wait to see what I can do with those before I commit to these.

On one of the photos I have found online that matches this very closely, there is a box on the left side near the front of the hood.

I decided to try and make one out of brass sheet.

I drew a rectangle with 3 sides and printed it on some card stock. Then I put some blue masking tape over the print and put the card through the printer again to get the cut out on the tape. Then I put the tape on some brass sheet and cut it out and bent it freehand with a ruler along the bent edges.

I removed the tape and soldered the open edges.
Then a used a bit of scrap brass channel to make a couple braces for the top and lower inside rear edges to strengthen them.

I'll make a louvered door on the front when those etchings get here.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty clever Dave nice job!

Jerry

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry and thanks for looking in Larry!

I really like the front and side railings on this critter. I found the photo on the web, it's a pretty close match to the colored pencil drawing of the loco T Yorke drew. As you can see its where I got the idea for that Electrical? box.

I used some bronze rod and some brass flat bar to get the shape as close as I could, although I made it narrower because there won't be side steps, but rather steps on the front I'll make out of angle stock.

I'm making side railings like the ones in the photo as well.

While I was at the Hobby shop ... Entry with appointment only... looking for some brass hex nuts I found these #00-90 brass washers.

I thought they would be good for railing mounts instead of making something on my own.

I think they look good!

Off to do the side Railings and some steps.

Edited by - Dave D on 11/22/2020 10:23:00 AM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! The extra details are fantastic. The idea for the railing mounts is a keeper as id making the pattern from painters tape. Loving what I am learning on this build. Thanks for posting the extra information.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave those are some very nice looking details. Great job on the construction of them. That's going to be quite the detailed Critter when your finished.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: A few 2-6-0 Mogul questions (Backdating, Radii...) Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000