Railroad Line Forums - Oregon Lumber Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 185 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: CPinMI ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Oregon Lumber Co.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway  

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2020 :  10:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy All,

As I tend to do, and probably a few of us here, I collect interesting pieces that may have some future use. I've had in the back of my mind for many years a plan for some kind of logging railway, but have never actually built one. I have been, however, collecting the bits I'd need. I have a Bachmann Shay (and the necessary replacement NWSL gears), and recently acquired a nice United Climax:

It's a fine runner and a looker to boot.

Now, as I have no space for a layout, I have to decide which small slice of logging life I want to try and model. I like the idea of a small engine terminal, a camp, a log dump or maybe a small mill. I have a Keystone Danby mill kit that I've has for ages so I might start there.

I'm going to call this new line the Oregon Lumber Company, which was a real railway in Oregon, but I'm going to be freelancing. I want to be able to tie it in with another proto-freelanced line I'm working on in HOn3 based on the Sumpter Valley Railway, (as well as a completely fictitious interurban line called the Portland Electric).

We will see how far I can get with this plan, a move and some additional space may be coming. I'll post updates, as they happen.

Regards,

Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  07:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with obtaining more space Cody.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  08:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the move Cody. be looking for you up and coming posts.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always room for Jello!

Nice loco, make room!

Philip

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  9:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

I've had many false starts on a logging layout, hopefully I can make this one stick.

-Cody

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  9:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good start!

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  6:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well as luck would have it I'll be moving sooner rather than later so some space will be opening up for me. So expect some progress on this line in early 2021!

In the meantime I've been collecting parts for a string of 36' flatcars with logging bunks and will be starting them shortly. I've also been debating converting my Bachmann Shay to a 2-truck model. A forum member posted about that a while back and I quite liked the look...

More soon!

-Cody

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  7:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although moving isnít usually much fun, the idea of more room changes things. Iím looking forward to watching future developments here.

Mike

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  8:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Cody. Remember a RR does not have to be deep. You can do a lot with backdrops and flats with a narrow long run around a small room.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2020 :  1:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following along everyone!

Larry, I was thinking the same, I'd like to build something modular that can be easily placed on a shelf...

-Cody

Topic Next Topic: Slater Creek Railway  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000