Railroad Line Forums - Started a new kit
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 362 ]  [ Total: 370 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Started a new kit
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale Topic Next Topic: Walls covered with tarpaper  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I bought this on eBay; don't remember. It is The Crystal Ice Platform by Frenchie Gratts. Never heard of Frenchie Gratts; but I have definitely bought one of his kits years ago. It's a nice looking kit, complete with precut pieces of wood, glass inserts for the windows, etc. The main reason I would have liked to have purchased this kit years ago is the instructions. Included with the kit is a 62-page, spiral bound, hold-your-hand walkthrough of the complete construction, with color photos of every step taken. This would have certainly built my confidence level up earlier so I could have taken on the "yellow boxes" much earlier than I did. Frenchie Gratts kits are hard to find; but they would make an excellent gift to anyone wanting to build a basswood kit.

John

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like Frenchie Gratts kits were taken over by Built Rite models

John

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What brought this on? Getting ready for cooler weather? That instruction book looks excellent. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

Take the red pill

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  6:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I needed an ice house for my Campbell Brett's Brewery that will replace the FOS Red Hook Pier... nice kit; but didn't really fit my layout...a little too bland

John

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  11:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start John. Keep on posting progress.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a nice start, John.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, the instructions appear to be the piece de resistance of the kit.

Iíll be following along.

Mike

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Off and running! Small kits are the best! Following!

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 08/31/2020 10:27:39 PM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  2:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

I needed an ice house for my Campbell Brett's Brewery that will replace the FOS Red Hook Pier... nice kit; but didn't really fit my layout...a little too bland

I have never seen a kit with such a thorough set of instructions. Literally every step has a color photo showing it. Included also is a spacing diagram for the posts holding up the platform, zip-lock small parts packets (small thing; but much needed in all kits), the list goes on and on with the extras included. With all the pre-cut wood, laser-cut windows, and extras; I would rate this kit an excellent entry level kit. Much better than Campbells and not as difficult. I found a few different kits available from Frenchie and Built Rite models.

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 08/31/2020 2:20:07 PM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  6:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i never heard of frenchie or built rite models. i went to their website, and the models look good but the descriptions of the models consist of the footprint.
that's it. can't do it.

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

Previous Topic: Fos Scale Models Red Hook Wharf Build HO scale Topic Next Topic: Walls covered with tarpaper  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000