Railroad Line Forums - Louís Logging Split Camp Store
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Louís Logging Split Camp Store
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tellynott corner module Topic Next Topic: Gallows turntable instructions  

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/29/2020 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this picture on the internet of a split camp store being transported to a new location on flatcars, and was inspired to build a model of one for my L&R Logging Railroad.
Below you can see the picture of the split camp store halves, front and rear sections, on flatcars, that I will be placing onto Kadee type Truss Log Cars #103, also pictured.

Some Flatcar history:
Flatcars are the very type ever employed by the railroad industry. The car predates common-carrier railroads themselves by first being used in the mid-1820s to haul large stones in New England. This was followed shortly thereafter by the Granite Railway of Massachusetts (our nation's very first railroad), which placed the first flatcar into service during 1826. This system, just 2 miles in length, was designed by Gridley Bryant according to the book, "The American Railroad Freight Car," by John White, Jr, and based from British operations at the time. Throughout the mid-19th century the design remained virtually unchanged thanks to its redundant, flat deck layout allowing it to handle numerous commodities. Flatcars are used for loads that are too large or cumbersome to load in enclosed cars such as boxcars.
The definition of the flatcar is rather self-explanatory, a basic design consisting of a flat, horizontal surface (deck) that usually is equipped with standard two two-axle trucks to transport any type of cargo capable of withstanding any type of weather condition during its trip. The basic flatcar can haul anything from Logging operations, farm equipment, and containers to industrial parts and even rails. Its flexibility and redundancy has nearly always made the car desirable by railroads. As a result its general shape and design changed little for more than a century. The first known use of a flatcar occurred on America's first operational railroad, the Granite Railway of Quincy, Massachusetts. This horse and mule-powered operation began service in 1826 to handle large chunks of granite from a quarry to the Neponset River using a wooden-railed right-of-way (later replaced with iron).
Camp Store Use History:
Loggers went to the general store at the logging camps to buy most of their food, and other supplies. Items for sale in the camp store included canned food, glassware and dishes, sugar, coffee, molasses, mackerel, herring, rope, blasting powder, nails, crackers, boots and shoes, socks, domestics, locks, hatchets, and screws among many other things.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  5:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on Split Camp Store build.
Two weeks today, and 176 plus views by members later, I never got a post of any interest among yourselves as to this build. So that leaves me to believe that no one cares, not interested in my builds, or everyone just happened to miss this post. That being hard to believe, because it is shown and posted in the Forum Home Page, even if no one ever visits the Craftsman Forum.
If this still isnít the Forum were serious modelers enjoy craftsman builds from any, and every one, than we need to take a serious look as to what we want in model railroading here at Railroad-Line. Many other Railroad Forums have already folded, and gone by the way side. Iíd hate to think this RR-Line Forum is headed in the same direction.
Iíve seen many great modelers stop posting their builds on this Forum in the past 14 years, and itís antics like this that caused it to happen.
No need to post now with your thoughts, it will be overlooked, and dismissed anyway as far as Iím concerned.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  5:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid I missed your first post, Louis. I'm interested.

George

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis I have no excuse! Just was busy saw the thread and never got around to posting to it.

I'm still interested in what you build and I'm sure a lot of other guys are to.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  6:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

I did check it out when you first uploaded the thread, and was thinking that you would start posting again with a little progress. A few days later, we were hit with a major wind storm, lost our electric power and had no internet for over a week. We just got our power restored yesterday.

I hope you do continue with your wonderful builds, but if not, your modeling will be sadly missed by many.

Rich

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  6:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm posting anyway, Louis. I'm not a frequent poster on any forums, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and/or learn from them...I absolutely do! Your latest post here has encouraged me to post more, even if I don't have any suggestions...just appreciation for those artists who do post.

Thanks for the prod...

Horton M.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  09:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What a great idea for a build. Knowing you, it will turn out perfectly. Keep it going Louis...

Bob

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Update on Split Camp Store build......................
No need to post now with your thoughts, it will be overlooked, and dismissed anyway as far as Iím concerned.

Really? So be it.....too bad,

I know my post must have gone off into who the hell knows where of the ethers....or is it the vapors? I donít know.

The world it so flippiní nuts these days I come here for a little enjoyment not worrying about say or not saying something correctly or with the right inflection or any hidden agenda of someone

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/13/2020 12:05:03 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  3:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Louis,
I'm one of the guilty that reads your posting and doesn't comment often enough.
I find your post very informative and I sure don't want you to stop posting!

David Guffey

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  3:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And here's how we transport them today. http://www.alamotransport.com/transport.php

Ok Louis, you've got my attention.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  6:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

And here's how we transport them today. http://www.alamotransport.com/transport.php

Bernd

Thats how the cover over my layout arrived 20 years ago.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  10:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw it but didn't post as I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. My wife had rotator cuff surgery last Wednesday.

Philip

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  04:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, Looks like it will be another great build. Could be a scene from Monster Moves.
People are interested, but were maybe waiting on another build update, before commenting.

I somehow missed it too. But I am a bit pre occupied with things at the moment.

So build on.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Previous Topic: Tellynott corner module Topic Next Topic: Gallows turntable instructions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000