Railroad Line Forums - Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Replacing couplers on Bachmann bobber?
Page: of 16

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  11:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 1880's layout has entered a new phase. Stay tuned . . .

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you've got my attention.
Can't wait to see what's next!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My 1880's layout has entered a new phase." Mike[
So, everything old is new again? I'm tuned.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine, too!

Robber Barons? Chicanery? Rapacious Greed? The world wonders! Or at least mine does....

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since my previous thread ("Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR") reached 100 pages, I decided now was a good time to start a new thread.

In the 1880's, The Lehigh Valley Railroad was in actuality several corporations under one umbrella. Like many other railroads, it grew over the years by absorbing other, smaller railroads, and by direct expansion under new corporate entities. This was very common at the time. In the case of the LV, an important goal was to gain access to western markets via the Great Lakes.

The Southern Central Railroad was built in the 1860's and 70's from Lake Ontario south to the Pennsylvania state line to join the LV. Although a separate corporate entity, the SC was from the beginning dependent on the LV for financial support and the LV held a substantial mortgage on the SC and had a seat on the SC board of directors. Eventually the LV absorbed the Southern Central.

Meanwhile, wanting access to Lake Erie, the LV created the Pennsylvania and New York Canal and Rail Road Company to build along a failed canal north from Wilkes Barre PA to the New York State line, joining the Erie RR at Waverly, New York. The mainline was literally built on the towpath of the failed canal, which had been built during the period of "canal fever" in the first half of the 1800's. Very poorly built, whole sections of the canal would be wiped out by floods almost annually. The extension of the LV was very successful and the railroad lobbied successfully to be allowed to fill in the canal to build a second track. The Pennsylvania and New York was itself absorbed into the LV in the mid 1880's, the LV leasing the P&NY for 99 years and transferring all P&NY locomotives and rolling stock to the LV roster.

With increasing tourist traffic and timbering, the LV bought and completed a railroad that was in the process of being built north of Wilkes Barre. Eventually becoming the Bowman's Creek Branch, this route diverged from the LV (P&NY) mainline at Wilkes Barre and rejoined at Towanda, 79 miles to the north. Although by the time this branch was completed in 1892 the P&NY was fully a part of the Lehigh Valley RR, I've decided to use the old name for this part of the LVRR.

____

I have not completed the Southern Central part of my layout; it requires more ballasting, scenery and structures. But my emphasis has moved to the other end, representing Alderson, PA, as explained in my earlier thread, which can be accessed here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43866

If you've read the last couple of pages of that thread you know I have two projects going. The first--rebuilding four boxcar scratchbuilds to better represent LV boxcars--has reached this stage after leaving the paint shop:

These cars will be lettered in the same series as the two resin cars I showed a few weeks ago, which had been built and never lettered. They are the cars on the right in this photo:

I don't know if it's ironic or a little pathetic that these cars were first built in 2014 and are two of the three in the photo near the bottom of the first page of my previous thread. Six years later, a new thread and still incomplete.
______

I'm also working on the company store. The sides will soon be ready for assembly:

That's all for now.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 08/23/2020 3:35:57 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you have more progress in one post than I've made on anything in the last year.... Congratulations! The green glow in the northern sky is envy!

Pete
in Michigan

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  1:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I am really interested in your new phase. I grew up in Towanda. Looking forward to more, Mike!

Chuck

FrankieJ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  2:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks to be very interesting. I grew up near Wilkes-Barre,Pa and I am modeling the railroads of that area (LV,D&H,CNJ,PRR and EL).

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the good times roll! I'll be watching the train.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Best wishes on another 100 pages!

David Guffey

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  4:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike... glad to see more going on in your train world. Planes, trains, automobiles... and anything else you build will be worth the look. Roll on..
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm grabbing ahold of this train.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike good luck on your new phase, sounds interesting. Sometimes you just have to switch to another part of a layout just to keep the creative "juices flowing".

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for providing the historical background. I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this part of your layout.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  11:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everybody, thank you: Greg, Bill, Pete, Carl, Chuck, Frank, Bob, David, Rich, Louis, Larry and Bruce. I appreciate the nice comments and hope it lives up to your expectations.

So Iíve been asking myself, other than a new thread, what makes this a new phase? After all, itís part of the same layout, I did the trackwork months ago, and Iíve completed a couple of buildings. Looking back, itís like Iíve been transitioning to this new period.

- Iíve long enjoyed reading about Pennsylvania logging and collecting plans of rural structures. This new part of my layout will be definitely rural, in contrast to the urban scene Iíve been building.

- The Auburn end of my layout has little need for scenery past a few trees, grass and dirt. Alderson will need some hills and even more trees. Maybe a stream.

- Auburn has been built with Sanborn maps close at hand as well as photos. I will base the depot area of Alderson on a prototype photo, but I will exercise a lot more freedom in constructing additional buildings. Iíve already done that with the kindling wood factory I built earlier this year.

- I am also pushing the date of my railroad back around a decade to the early 1880s (although motive power is a challenge. ) Having removed cars longer than 30í from my layout I am now rebuilding my fleet with more 28í cars or smaller.

So thatís the new phase. Iíll try to have photos the next time I post, but first Iíll need something to show. Modeling will be slow this week because I will be busy with online lessons, concerts, jams and lounges centered around country blues guitar.

Mike

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Replacing couplers on Bachmann bobber?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000