Railroad Line Forums - Louís method_Making HO Scale wooden shake shingles
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 309 ]  [ Total: 311 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Louís method_Making HO Scale wooden shake shingles
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Modeling Videos on You Tube  

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  8:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During my recent builds when roof shingling, I'm directing modelers to different links of mine, on the RR-Line Forum for the How-to.
I decided to post this How-to thread for easier finding.

I use Red Cedar Grilling Wraps for my shake shingles. This method will make authentic looking HO scale barn shakes. "Barn Shakes" were a little thicker, and sometimes a wavier version of hand-split shakes, and were often a bit longer being 24" as opposed to 18", so you could get a little more coverage per square. Using a standard paper cutter I slice through the Cedar Wraps real easy. You could use a hobby knife and ruler if you choose. Cut the Cedar Wraps with the grain when cutting your strips, slicing the sheets into random width strips, averaging around 3/32" in width. Next using some black construction paper, put a sheet of wax paper underneath to protect the surface of your workspace while gluing.
Spread white glue evenly over the construction paper, working about 3" at a time so the glue doesn't set too soon on you. Lay the strips out side by side, pressing them into the glue. Try to maintain a parallel pattern, but don't worry about small gaps between the strips. Small gaps will allow black to show through and enhance the natural appearance of the shakes. You don't want the strips to be so tightly together that they visibly blend in with each other. This would defeat the purpose of having individual looking shingles. Once all your strips are glued down, with a damp rag wipe lengthwise across the finished sheet, apply firm pressure. This will help to wipe off any excess glue, as well as flatten out your strips.
Now, place a sheet of wax paper over the top of the shakes, and cover with as much weight as necessary. The white glue bond is stronger when clamped together. Allow enough time to totally dry, overnight is the best time. Once the sheet is thoroughly dry, cut across the grain into uniform width strips to make your shingles. Approximately 1/4" wide, or 3/16" depending on how much overlap you plan on using or wanting for your structure. Cutting at a 3/32" width will give you an overlap of approx. 8" in HO scale, and would be appropriate for houses. Barns and industrial buildings could get away with a bit more.
Before applying the shingle strips to the roof, the strips may have a tendency to curve as the glue dried. To straighten them out, and also to create a small gap between the shakes for appearance, lay them out flat and slightly reverse the curve with even finger pressure across the strip. Trim each strip to length, and test fit before applying glue. Using white glue, apply glue evenly to the back of the strips, and press them into place. Drawing a series of parallel lines 3/32Ē apart on each roof surface will help to maintain even rows. Make any necessary corrections as you get closer to the ridge. When you come to the top row of shingles, at the peak of the roof, glue two pieces of stripwood to both sides of the roof peak to finish it off, or you can cap off the top as you choose, with individual shingles, or even just use a piece of square stripwood placed down the center groove of the roof, in-between the two sides of the roof shake rows where they meet at the top. The gable ends should be sanded to a uniform overhang. Spread super glue to the underside of the eaves before sanding to prevent the end shakes from splitting off.
Pictures below show the cedar wraps used, and the steps taken for cutting the shingles.
Also, Two examples of my homemade cedar roofing builds:

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Louis

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  08:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Excellent idea Lou. Another thing you can do is wire brush the finished roof panel to bring out the grain and round off the edges.

Frank

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  09:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Excellent idea Lou. Another thing you can do is wire brush the finished roof panel to bring out the grain and round off the edges.

Thanks Frank for the added useful information, great idea!

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tutorial, Louis.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Thanks for putting up this useful information. Like I said before, you have a treasure-trove of useful ideas and great tutorials, thanks for sharing.

Rich

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info, Lou. Thanks for doing this.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  11:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tutorial, Louis.

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  4:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your all welcome, and hope this helps and makes it easier in finding this how-to when needed.

Louis

Hank8404
New Hire

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  4:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tutorial Lou. Thank you!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that Louis.
I'll have to move this the The Classroom.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hank8404

Great tutorial Lou. Thank you!

Thanks for your comment Hank.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  6:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Thanks for posting that Louis.
I'll have to move this the The Classroom.

Louis

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  6:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be using this at some point in time. Thanks Louis,

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  6:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great SBS, Louis! Thanks for sharing!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

I will be using this at some point in time. Thanks Louis,

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Another great SBS, Louis! Thanks for sharing!

Pete
in Michigan

Thank you Larry and Pete. Much appreciated.

Louis

Topic Next Topic: Modeling Videos on You Tube  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000