Railroad Line Forums - Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 217 ]  [ Total: 223 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CNR Blackwater division Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout
Page: of 14

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  06:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking fence!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive progress George, and I agree with Mike, great looking fence as well. There is no doubt you can flow some solder. Your track work is beyond bullet proof.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  08:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Louis. I hope the track is bullet proof. I'm now wrestling with adding the sidings. A lot of thinking - little doing.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Louis. I hope the track is bullet proof. I'm now wrestling with adding the sidings. A lot of thinking - little doing.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  09:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

George, nice track plan. Youíve hit a milestone with the quality of the hand laying. The track assembly board and method are well worth studying for future projects.

Frank

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank. My next test will be doing the code 55 sidings.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  4:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the baseboard's basic frame done. It needs internal bracing, which will be done once I determine the exact location of the Tortoise machines. Here's a picture of the track sitting on it (not final position). As you can see, the sidings need to be added.

I'm going to try using code 55 rail for the sidings. The rail I've been using is code 70, so I need a way to make the transition between the two size rails. To do this, I modified some rail joiners. I started with a code 70 rail joiner and slipped a piece of code 70 rail in one side and a piece of code 55 rail in the other side. I laid it on a metal ruler with the two pieces of rail meeting right at the edge of the ruler. I placed a piece of steel over the code 70 rail and tapped the steel with a hammer.

Here's the result.

Now, back to soldering.

George

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  5:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it you could also crimp the Code 55 side flat and solder the rail to the top of the joiner instead of in it. I think I have seen where that lines up the top of the rails pretty well and since you are soldering the rail anyway...

JMHO

Norton

The V & T lives in my garage (soon)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  6:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norton, now that you brought it up, I remember reading that somewhere. Oh well, I now have my rail joiners made.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  9:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only spikes I found with heads small enough for Code 55 rail are Micro Engineering's 'Micro', which are prone to bending even in basswood ties over Homasote.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  10:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, I think itís rather elegant what you did. Might even work better in keeping the rails aligned.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  11:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything looks great. Now here is the dumb question of the day (I'm waiting until it's late), why didn't you use code 55 for the switches?

Jim

Take the red pill

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  07:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, Neat trick on the C55 rail joint. I'm planing on hand laying a double deck layout 10x20 although simple track plan. Im contemplating the hand spike or pcb ties like you have. If i hand spike i don't thin i will ever finish it.

Proto87 have the etched spikes that i believe work well with code 55 rail by the way. Have not used them myself.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I'm staying with solder and PCB ties. The art of spiking is beyond my talents.

Mike, I'm hoping the rail joiners make connecting the sidings a simple slip on process.

Jim, I'm waiting till the next day to answer your question. I simply approached the project as a code 70 layout with code 55 sidings. Thinking about it, it would be more difficult to make the turnouts using code 55 rail.

Adrian, I've only worked with soldering. I know there are folks who believe spiking is the way to go and do some beautiful work. I find with soldering, if things aren't just right, you can un-solder and re-solder. I'm not sure it's as easy for spiking. I'm prone to mistakes, so I need an easy way to correct them.

George

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: CNR Blackwater division Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000