Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 185 ]  [ Total: 188 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  4:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basic build of the silo is finished; the details will be added at a latter time i.e. the piping for the silage, the bands around the silo, and etc.:

The top part I setup like a clock. Using scale 1 x 4's I glued them at 12, 3, 6, and 9. Then I glued two more in between each number to create wedges. Cut pieces at angles to fill in the wedges.

The hole at the top is for the piping and the circle on top is like the real thing.

The silo's been painted and given an A&I wash as well as the barn windows, as per Jim's suggestion, which makes them fit in better with the rest of the building. The chute was just given an A&I wash to show age of unpainted wood.

There are about three more buildings to build; a smokehouse, a small barn that's a combination pig pen and chicken coup, and a garage with an addition on the back side. The garage is my next project which will be another "stick build" with possibly a detailed interior. Lots of fun stuff to do.
That's where I'm at for the moment; any ideas or comments are much appreciated.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  7:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, the silo looks like a good match for the barn. The windows are looking better too. You had a sdmile on my face with TP roll extension job. New tip- paper towel roll. Keep going!

Jim

Take the red pill

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, I'm happy that I made you smile. Paper towel roll... great idea. I'll catalog it for next time that I have to make something round.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress and execution.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

I like the treatment on the underside of the roof. Terrific idea.

The silo and barn are looking good. Persist!

Have fun,
mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s looking good; reminds me of grandma’s farm more and more.

You’re on a roll now.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Larry!

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick and Jerry thank-you for your kind words.

Mike thanks. I thought that the underside of the roof needed something and that seemed the best way to do it. Glad that you like the silo and barn.

Michael thanks. If this reminds you of your Grandma's farm, then I'm achieving the look for my family's farm that I'm after.

Carl B thank-you. I'll take that as a compliment especially coming from someone who's already done a farm.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I've been following along with your project. I just want to say I like your approach with different ideas to scratchbuilding. This is going to be a wonderful version of the family farm.
NICE WORK!

David Guffey

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David thank you so much for your kind words. This project has been a real learning experience for me, along with some great suggestions from some of the other forum members. I'm really trying, as much as I can from the photos that I have, to stay as true to the actual farm as possible.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  2:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a small update on where I am with the garage which is a scale 15' x 15' square x 12' high:

The four walls were built, using a scale plan I made, directly off of the drawing. The back and front walls have been sided with scale 2x6 lumber and trimmed. All four walls will be glued together using a jig that I made. It consists of scrap pine nailed together at 90 degrees and is temporarily attached to a larger piece of pine and covered in wax paper to prevent any glue sticking to the pine. Nothing fancy but it works quite well. I've used this arrangement for years. Once the second side wall is attached to the back then I'll stand the whole thing up and glue the front wall to the garage and clamp the whole thing. Then the side walls will be sided from the front edge of the garage to the back edge. Then trim boards will be applied to the corners. I'm leaving siding off in places just like the real garage in the photo at the beginning of this post.

Not quite sure about the paint yet, but will probably make it different than the barn and silo.

Thanks for stopping by and any ideas and/or comments welcome.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  1:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The garage is built and here is how it came out:

The garage still needs a light sanding to get rid of the wood fuzz. I'm thinking a light brown wash followed by an A&I wash. The inside will be weathered with grey chalk, similar to the barn.
Been thinking about the diorama build and I have a piece of 1 inch pink foam that measures 29 in. x 24 in. With the size of the buildings, and two smaller ones left to build, this looks to be about the correct size. That will give me room for the driveways and room for scenery.
After studying the photos more I realized that the "business-end" of the farm appears to be behind the house and not on the side of it. Therefore the diorama needed to be deep as well as wide. I could have compressed the scene or left out some of the buildings but if I'm going to do this then I'm going to do it right.
That's where I'm at for now and any ideas/suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for following along.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  3:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!!

Your diorama is progressing well.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Your scratchbuilding adventure is improving with each addition. Good lessons for folks that are a little gun shy about attempting it. We're never too old to learn, and with this hobby a 'do over' is acceptable.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000