Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 207 ]  [ Total: 209 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/17/2020 :  6:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started to work on the barn and wanted to make it a feature of the diorama; I wanted to build the structure the same way that the real thing would have been built. I decided to go "old school" and broke out the drafting board, T-square, triangle, drafting pencils, railroad scale ruler and went to town. Wax paper covers the drawings so that the framing can be assembled directly on the paper without the glue sticking.

The front of the barn shows a dotted line which is the floor of the hayloft. Even though I'm not doing the interior of the cow barn; I wanted to do the inside of the loft. The second drawing is the side of the barn which has a large sliding door on each side which was used to load-in the hay bales. The doors will be left open so that the interior of the loft will be seen.

The front has been built using a wood frame with scale 1x6's glued on board by board. To my delight the roofline came out quite well. The challenge will be building the rafters exactly the same; I may have to make some sort of jig to get this done. The windows will be painted white and the barn a red wash sanded to show wear. I especially liked the fact that there are some gaps in between some of the boards just like a real barn.

This is what I have done on the first side so far. The side door measures 6'x8' which will be mounted to a rail for opening and closing; although the doors will be left open. Also the next pic shows the framing and I used some balsa wood in non-critical areas to stretch my framing lumber so that I can do the whole barn. The barn will measure 20 ft wide, 25 ft tall, and 27 ft long when finished.
The next steps will be to build the other side and back of the barn; then glue it all together. Then I'll tackle the rafters after I buy more lumber which goes very quickly when doing a project like this.
That's what I've done so far and any suggestions/ comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking in.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2020 :  8:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youre making excellent progress.

Yes, jigs are very helpful for making accurate rafters relatively fast.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  07:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Larry.

Just a reminder: Basswood and balsa react differently to paints and stains, so if they are next to each other, they may not match exactly.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  11:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good start.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  12:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thanks, I'm working on the barn in between working on some outside projects. I think that I can make a jig using the front of the barn as a template so that everything, hopefully, turns out the same.

Carl B thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten about how different woods take a finish; which makes sense considering how soft that balsa is. Once I put the roof on the barn I don't think that it will be noticeable; but if it is that's fine. I'll probably not use any more balsa since I think that where I buy my lumber is now reopened or I'll put in an order at Northeastern.

Thanks Rick, the barn is going to be fun to build.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/26/2020 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share what's been done on the barn so far:

The four sides have been built and glued together to make a nice square barn. The frame was constructed with scale 6 x 12's which made for a really solid structure and covered, board by board, with scale 1 x 6's. The whole thing was painted red in a hit and miss fashion with the wet paint dragged over the unpainted parts. Then the whole thing was sanded with 200 grit sandpaper to give it a worn well used look. Each side was weathered and also the hayloft before assembly. The windows were painted with a white flat paint and glued into the barn. I'm quite happy with the way that it turned out.

This is the inside of the barn with the hayloft weathered on the bare wood. Most barns that I've been in did not have the interior painted as this was protected from the weather. Also from the pictures that I have the barn seemed to have had very few windows and none on the back.
Next up will be to install some beams in the loft then weather and install the floor before starting on the rafters. Loads of fun!
Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions are always welcomed.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2020 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's whats going on with the barn build. The rafters are done and glued into place. The wood was weathered before the rafters were built as well as the flooring before it was glued in place. I used the drawing to make the rafters instead of a jig because of the different roofline. I think that they came out pretty well; although they did take longer to make:

Here is a pic as seen inside the cow part of the barn:

I like the fact that not only can you see the floor joists but also the cracks in between the floor boards; just like the real thing.

Here is half of the sub roof which is a thicker card than I used on the house. I think that it will make the roof look better. Also I'm toying with the idea of only doing half of the roof and leaving the other half exposed so that you can see the rafter details; but we'll see.

That's where I'm at for the moment; thanks for following along.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  07:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

I like the wood finish on the loft floor. Overall construction looks good. The first 4 shots of the sides had me wondering what shade of red you used. It looked like 'hot pink' on my old monitor, but this last shot with the roof mockup in place, is much much better. I also like your idea of the open sided roof to show interior detail.

Jim

Take the red pill

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  08:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!
I like the open roof plan too.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry looks good so far.

When I see the picture the red looks a bit streaky? If that's the case a very light indian ink & alcohol wash would bring it all together.

Or it just could be my computer.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  11:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim the color did look a little odd in the photos; the only camera that I have that's any good is my phone. The color is definitely red, it's by Tamaya, and is acrylic. The floor is weathered raw wood using weathering chalks. I may also put some loose "hay" on the floor when I get to detailing.

Thanks Rick. The more that I think about the open part of the roof the more that I like the idea. Of course having you guys agreeing with me also lets me know that I'm going in the right direction.

Jerry thanks for the ink & alcohol wash idea. I've never used it before but will consider it. I have a color picture of my Uncle as a boy but it's in PDF format which I don't have the software to change over to JPEG so I can't post it. It 's a black and white photo that my Aunt actually colorized as an adult. It shows the barns and silo as a faded red color; that's what I've attempted to duplicate with a "hit & miss" painting approach and sanding when dry. Just out of curiosity I may try the wash on the back of the barn just to see what it looks like.

Thanks guys for your comments and ideas; they really help.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  5:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case you do a good formula is 1 tsp to 1 pint alcohol.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry for the formula, I just may give it a shot and see what it looks like. I think that I may have some ink somewhere.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  09:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your barn is coming along, looking good. I agree with the others on toning down the red a little.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  1:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael. I've found a little jar of ink so I'm going to try Jerry's suggestion to tone the red down a little. It should help.

Edited by - Larryc on 07/03/2020 1:43:19 PM

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000