Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 150 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rocktown & Olympus RR Topic Next Topic: Mara Harbor on YouTube
Page: of 19

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Nice work!

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  12:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Philip.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a quick update:

The silo is finished. Painted the silage tube grey with a dry brush of raw umber to simulate some rust. The standoffs were cut from brown paper bag a scale 6 inches wide and glued to support the tube. The bolts are made using a fine point marker.

When looking at the photo of the barn again I realized that a few details needed to be added. The "V" shaped wood on the barn front held the wood block in place when not in use. The rope, made from brown thread, went over the pulley. When something had to go up into the loft the wood block was pulled up by the rope and lowered to the ground. Hay could be attached then pulled up into the loft; a lot of work done by rope. The pulley was by San Juan Miniatures formerly Grandt Line. Also this would be used to suspend a pig for gutting before it was butchered. This system, although somewhat primitive, did work fairly well.
That's it for now and thanks for looking.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  4:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rope and pulley is a good detail.

If you donít know this already, the rope can be straightened by putting a weight on the end and impregnating it with super glue. Youíll want to make sure it hangs vertically. Just a suggestion.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thanks for the suggestion. No I didn't now that you could do that to straighten the rope. I'll have to give it a try and see how it works out. Thanks.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry- look how far you've come since May! Good job.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are on a real modeling roll. Looking good.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry looking good.

You going to hang the slaughter pig??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  11:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl B. thank you. It's been quite a journey since last May. Still lots to do but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Larry thanks. With the weather getting colder I've been able to work on the farm a little most days. After the Holidays I have some remodeling projects around the house to do so progress will probably slow down some.

Jerry thank you. Hanging the slaughtered pig is a possibility but may get a little "stinky" as time goes on.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2020 :  2:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work has been progressing on and around the dairy barn area. The roof was glued in place and the barn was glued to the diorama along with the silo. Also finished the ground cover around the barn and add tall grasses and weeds to the entire area. There were some gaps between the pink foam and the frame of the diorama which were filled in with some silicone caulking. This way I can run the ground material right to the edge of the diorama:

That is the present condition of the farm. Next will be to scratch build the small section of track for the milk car, which will be scratch built later, and also build the platform to load the milk cans into the car.
Comments/suggestions always welcomed. Thanks for stopping by.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2020 :  6:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey what more can I say with every post its just keeps getting better!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does get better with every update.
I do have a tiny suggestion.
The weeds/shrubs along the front and side of the barn to me look a little too equally spaced and sized.
I think a little randomness would look better.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  06:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Larry. Persist! ~mike

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Rocktown & Olympus RR Topic Next Topic: Mara Harbor on YouTube  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000