Railroad Line Forums - WATER
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 311 ]  [ Total: 314 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 WATER
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: The SP&S in Indiana
Page: of 4

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a thread for all things water.

Pete Magoun (Orionp17) gets us started swimmingly with a link to an interesting monograph on water: How to Read Water, Clues & Patterns from Puddles to the Sea:
https://www.naturalnavigator.com/books-and-library/how-to-read-water/

That looks like a great reference. For this thread I will change only one word...How to See Water (pun accidental, but left in). Feel free to add your own references, insights, experiences and techniques.

For me there are two main characteristics to capture to realistically model water: color(s) and surface "textures". Both of these heavily depend on things like:
1. time of day
2. season
3. the weather
4. what's in the water
5. location

I'll start with colors, well right off the top, trick heading, water is colorless but that's no help, mostly when we look at it in a scene it has color(s) and not always blue.

Artists and photographers sometime use a piece of neutral cardboard with a small square cut out in the middle to focus on elements they want to capture with out being influenced by their surroundings. Here are squares of different colors of water taken from a variety of photos. None of the colors have been fiddled with, they are as recorded by the camera with normal settings. The colors are not named, you decide what you see.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The second one must be at night with no moon, and lots of thick clouds.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, your thirst for scenery knowledge shore amazes me!
I'm going back for another look at your water images posted so far, to try and drink it all up.

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Not sure I'd drink any of the waters shown here :)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/19/2020 7:06:38 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that's all I got right now for colors. Add yours if you got any. I tried to make mine 500 x 500 pixels just to keep them consistent.
Later (not today!) I'll add thoughts on different water textures. The above photos show differences, but for this I will use a wider viewpoint to comment on things I notice with real water vs modeled water.

Add your thoughts too.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I missed your reply way up there near the top. Close, the shot was taken in daylight, but under a bridge in deep shadow.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one little bit to contemplate before I go to textures, I'll bet Orionvp17 can confirm it, it's impossible to judge height above water looking down at it if all you can see is the water. Some of those images I posted for colors were taken anywhere between a foot or two to over 1000 ft above the surface. Since some of them don't appear to be taken straight down, you can eliminate those, but the others, hmm how high or far away were they?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/18/2020 5:04:55 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Here's one little bit to contemplate before I go to textures, I'll bet Orionp17 can confirm it, It's impossible to judge height above water looking down at it if all you can see is the water. Some of those images I posted for colors were taken anywhere between a foot or two to over 1000 ft above the surface. Since some of them don't appear to be taken straight down, you can eliminate those, but the others, hmm how high or far away were they?

Answer: Yes....

This has the potential to be a great thread, Bill, and yes, indeed, I do recommend reading Tristan Gooley's manuscript shown in the link in your first post. I have absolutely no connection to him or the book, other than that one of my kids sent me the book as a present on some long-forgotten Occasion.

But think about the modeling processes here.... How many times have you seen limp flags on poles on the piers, yet the water is full of whitecaps? Waves are caused; they don't just happen. I'm fortunate in that I can look out the window and see all sorts of interesting activity on the Bay, even with no one out there right now. Anyone who might be out there is in for a Cultural Experience at the moment... the winds are out of the southwest at 19, gusting to 31, and it is not "serene...."

In any event, knowing what you're trying to accomplish will make the process easier for you, and will cause most folks to have a second look before loudly admiring your work.

I'd say "dive in," but doing that without knowing what you're diving into is not smart, so have a ball, folks... jump on in... the water's fine!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 04/18/2020 4:49:53 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, it just doesn't rock my boat....I guess it's just not sinking in....drowning in information overload....it's all clear as mud...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  5:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you sea, you no lake :0 That's ok :)

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: The SP&S in Indiana  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000