Railroad Line Forums - Mini review of the FastTracks Lumber Store
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 295 ]  [ Total: 299 ]  [ Newest Member: Canyon man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Mini review of the FastTracks Lumber Store
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 28 Winter St. Newburyport - HO styrene Topic Next Topic: Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects  

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  07:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty lazy about MRR gear (aka KISS principle ) but finally got tired of going through a box of wood in plastic sleeves. I looked at a bunch of solutions in this forum. Then someone on a Facebook group pointed me to the FastTracks Lumber Store.

Works pretty well...

I have over 30 sizes of HO scale lumber so I needed to figure out what I wanted in there. I filled most of them with the oft used items but left 3 tubes empty so there's room for me to expand a bit.

Comes with 24 one-inch clear plastic tubes on a lazy susan plus adhesive labels. It's easy to put together (there's a good video). Except for the tubes the parts are MDF. The white parts have a vinyl(?) laminate covering. The base is ~11" sq. The tubes are 16" tall which makes the whole assembly about 18" tall. I cut the tubes down to about 10-1/2" because I use a lot of Northeast Scale Lumber (typically 11" long). This allows the full length pieces to protrude a bit which makes for easier access.

Really nifty purchase. Highly recommended (if you've got the space).

YMMV

--Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  09:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that the individual tubes are easy to remove, so you can pull a tube, dump out the wood, and find that shorter piece of wood. And the rotary design makes for efficient storage with relatively small cost in bench space.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks handy, Rich, thanks for the review.

Bruce

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  10:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Rich. While I donít work in wood too often I do in styrene and this is a great storage idea for the that too. Thanks for sharing.

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an alternative approach, here are the boxes Jeff Adam did for stripwood and styrene storage. They fit nicely on bookshelves. (Disclaimer, we collaborated on the design.) https://motrakmodelsusa.com/products.html#!/Masonite-Products/c/40570092/offset=0&sort=normal But if you don't keep the individual strips in bags, it's hard to get small pieces out of a box slot.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 04/16/2020 11:59:46 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  3:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic item to have in the shop. I looked it up, and see it comes with lumber. Are we able to get just the holder without the lumber? I didn't really take a good look around the website.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they do have an option without lumber (that's the one I got.)

dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  9:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Yeah, they do have an option without lumber (that's the one I got.)

dave

Thanks!

Louis

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  07:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce already I've found it handy. Why I didn't do this sooner...

Tom it is definitely handy for your styrene stash.

Dave I looked at MoTrak's solution but at 11" deep the drawers cannot hold new lengths of lumber, and the cost is too high. For this type of organization I think HobbyZone's system is cheaper and of better quality (https://www.hobbyzone.biz/modules.shtml).

Yes Louis, it does come without lumber. That's what I purchased, and what you see is most of my stash. And they delivered it rather quickly considering the current world situation. For years I've been pawing through a box of lumber in search of the size I needed.

--Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 04/17/2020 07:15:20 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  09:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBeau

Thanks Bruce already I've found it handy. Why I didn't do this sooner...

Yes Louis, it does come without lumber. That's what I purchased, and what you see is most of my stash. And they delivered it rather quickly considering the current world situation. For years I've been pawing through a box of lumber in search of the size I needed.

Thanks Rich. That is a useful item. Never seen it before your posting. And now the HobbyZone's system. I thought I knew every helpful modelers tool out there, I guess I'm not keeping up with things.

Louis

Previous Topic: 28 Winter St. Newburyport - HO styrene Topic Next Topic: Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000