Railroad Line Forums - Building Campbell's Oil Derrick
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 252 ]  [ Total: 258 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Building Campbell's Oil Derrick
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Model Putty or Light Hydrocal Plaster to Fill Gap? Topic Next Topic: Another small shed in HO
Page: of 15

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I still have some finishing touches to complete on my current project, I've started prep work on the next project to hit the bench - Campbell's Timber Oil Derrick Kit (#354).

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be a tough kit to build as your first Campbell Kit. Luckily this will be my fifth.

Previously built and shown here in various threads on the Forum were:

Kit # 380 - the Columbia Gazette Office Kit built as the Bangor Slate company office.

Kit #404 Quincy Traveling Crane

Kit #412 - DeWitt's Depository built as Ellie's Electrical (named after one of our grandkids).

And the finally Kit # 765 - the Deck Plate Girder Bridge.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought this kit on eBay for $9.95 which included shipping. I could tell by the pictures that some of the wood was missing. I could also tell that the instructions and the package of castings for the pulleys at the top of the derrick were in the package. That is really all I needed.

If you have ever built a Campbell kit, you know a few things. First, the wood is mostly 'fractional' stripwood and scribed sheeting. (By fractional, I mean 1/32"x 1/32" or 3/64"/ 1/8", etc. as opposed to scale 2"x4" or scale 4"x4",s, etc.). I have an extensive supply of fractional wood from as small as 1/32"x1/32" up to 1/2"x1/2" and I also have many, many sheets of scribed siding, so I wasn't worried.

As it turned out, two of the sealed packages of wood had been opened and co-mingled, and the long stripwood for the derrick tower were missing. No problem. I have decided not to try to figure out what is what with the open packages, but rather grab new stock from my stash.

The second thing that you know about a Campbell kit is that the written instructions are minimal, and you have to rely on the scale drawings.

The last thing that you know is that they do build up into very nice structures.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  4:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ultimately, my goal in building the Derrick is to create a scene similar to this on my Slate Run RR since it is set in Pennsylvania where logging trains did indeed run in and around the early oil fields.

Bruce

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  4:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be a tough kit to build as your first Campbell Kit

Bruce, believe it or not- this derrick WAS my first Campbell kit. I was all of 19 years old back then....sheesh. 46 years ago.....it wasn't real bad, but it wasn't good either. Sorry no pix exist....

I will be following !

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Bruce, believe it or not- this derrick WAS my first Campbell kit. I was all of 19 years old back then....sheesh. 46 years ago.....it wasn't real bad, but it wasn't good either. Sorry no pix exist....

Wow, Carl you were a 'jongen' (as my 4 Dutch grandparents would say} when you started serious modeling!

The instruction sheet in the box has a date of 11/63 on it, so the kit has been around quite a while. I think that this is the first build thread on it here on the Forum, though.

Thanks for following along.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back then, the typical process was to place a piece of wax paper right over the diagrams on the kit instructions and do the build there. I was never a fan of that, and since a lot of us now have printers that double as copiers, I just make a copy (or two) of each drawing, tape them on a flat surface, and use a little double sided tape to hold the stripwood in place while gluing.

This is the diagram for the base platform.

All of the platform's framing is made from 3/32" x 3/32" stripwood. I'm now cutting each piece in place using my supply of basswood.

Campbell used scribed sheeting for the decking. I'll probably use individual pieces of stripwood for my decking.

Bruce

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  7:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I built two of these kits about 45 years ago.

They are pretty straight forward to build.

If you want to add details to the interior, plan for it as you build.

The prototype still stands in an Historic Park in Bakersfield, California.

I don't remember any problems with the kit.

This page has some interesting information:

https://www.elsmerecanyon.com/oil/cabletoolrig/cabletoolrig.htm

Will watch your build with interest.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  7:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl, thanks for following along and for the extra info on the Derrick.

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along.

I see there are two on E-bay at present. I'll see if I can get one. I'd like to build several as some where down the road when I have a layout I'd like to add an oil field.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  08:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$9.95 - you're going to get your money's worth in fun with this kit.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  08:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I'll be following along.

I see there are two on E-bay at present. I'll see if I can get one. I'd like to build several as some where down the road when I have a layout I'd like to add an oil field.

Bernd

Thanks for following along, Bernd. I saw a few on eBay that were in the $40 range when this one popped up. I think that Campbell wants about $75 for a new kit.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

$9.95 - you're going to get your money's worth in fun with this kit.

George

You've got that right, George. Plus, I can use up some of my stash of stripwood to lessen Bonnie's work at the estate sale.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That old saying that "A picture is worth a thousand words" sure applies to my model building. The only photo that comes with the kit is that little one on the box.

So I searched the Internet and found a good example and printed it out for modeling guidance.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the build Bruce. Count me in as you move along.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  12:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazing how few photos were included in kits like this back in the day. And while Campbell instructions were not extensive they were light years ahead of those in other manufacturers' kits.

I expect this will be another masterpiece.

Mike

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Model Putty or Light Hydrocal Plaster to Fill Gap? Topic Next Topic: Another small shed in HO  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000