Railroad Line Forums - HO Barrel House - Version 2 - step by step
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO Barrel House - Version 2 - step by step
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Catís Head Pier Topic Next Topic: HO scale Barrel House in Tonopah, Nevada
Page: of 2

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  10:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last month I posted photos of my build of an HO scale Barrel House based on the one that existed in Tonopah, Nevada.

The model was a fun one to build but after it was done I found it to be "out of scale" to my eye.

As a first effort it was fine, but I wanted to build an improved version.

Below is the photo of the original in Tonopah and the front of my model.

Things I did not like about my model were the roof was too steep, the caulking between the barrels was too crude, the scraps of wood used on the front were too large and the barrels themselves were too large.

The barrels were fine barrels made by Model Shipways but they were too large for this particular model.

I began a search for barrels that were the size I wanted. I found those offered by DOCTOR BEN'S SCALE CONSORTIUM were perfect for my new model.

I ordered a batch along with some assorted boxes and crates, all from Doctor Ben's. I picked up some of his highly recommended corrugated roofing material as well.

Richard Bendever (Dr. Ben) and I have had tables next to each other a few times at conventions over the years and have become friends. I have always had excellent service from them while buying online and find they have a wide variety of useful products that fit my modeling style.

The barrels, the boxes and crates are some type of hard casting material like dental plaster or Durham's Wood Putty.

To color them I simply put them into a paper cup, covered them with a mixture of alcohol and Lincoln Brand Brown Leather Dye.

I let them sit for a minute or two and then poured the stain back into the bottle I use for storing the stain.

The finished barrels and crates now have the brown color of wood which has been in the desert for a long time.

I like the natural variations caused by the stain flowing off the castings while they dry.

I keep a small amount of the stain and a very small paint brush handy to touch up any areas that need more stain.

I then stacked some of them and glued them together with Canopy Glue.

Now I just have to wait until all the glue and stain is completely dry before beginning the actual build.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  10:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The crates and boxes turned out nicely as well.

While waiting for them all to dry I painted a piece of pink foam to use as a base. The deserts I have lived in generally have a tan colored soil so I used Delta Ceramcoat Trail Tan for the base color.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  02:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be another great build. Those Dr Bens barrels sure have nice detail.

Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  04:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

I agree they are great.

I wish I had a steady enough hand to paint the bands.

But at 75 I am doing good just to glue the barrels in stacks.

Some of my stacks look like I was drunk at the time.

That's one reason to have extras.

If I could cut them in half they would make great tables.

But I need all my fingers so I will skip that idea.

I have been looking at the front of the original building inTonopah.

I am thinking the builder probably was trying to do a flase front like was popular in the West at that time.

I will have more photos tomorrow. I need to let the glue dry right now on what I have done.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new batch of barrels look really good. I wonder if some of the crates got a light overall wash of tan just to differentiate the wood a little more from the barrel staves?

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  08:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An improved version - must be for an upscale neighborhood.

I'm looking forward to watching your step-by-step.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  09:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a good start, Darryl.

Thanks for committing to doing a step-by-step. I know that it adds time to the build, but step-by-steps are still the foundation that this Forum was built upon.

I just ordered a few detail parts from Dr. Ben. It looks like I will have to log back on and get some of those barrels.

Bruce

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great project!
Philip

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  12:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like your on a roll. A barrel roll that is.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  10:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill Gill,

The stain on the barrels and crates is just an undercoat.

After the structure is assembled, I will go back with different colors to add variety to the crates and to the barrels even.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The next step is to build the front door frame. For this I used a Grandtline door and frame.

I took the frame and added 1/16 inch stripwood around the sides and top.

I stained this wood gray and then used a sponge to add some off white to show worn and weathered wood.

I then added some more scrap wood to build the frame larger. I wanted a recessed door like on the prototype.

I then glued three stacks of barrels and the door frame to my base. I then let this dry thoroughly in order to keep it locked in place.

After it was dry, I added barrels on the other side.

This time I really left the model alone so that the glue would dry completely.

While the front was drying, I took two Grandtline window castings, colored them and used more 1/16th stripwood to build a stronger frame around them.

I glued a 1/16th by 3/16th strip of wood on the ground next to the barrels so that the window frame would have a solid foundation to rest on.

Before installing the window framework in place I put "glass" in the widows. I hate cutting real glass and don't really like acetate either. So I have become spoiled on using Canopy Glue for my window "glass".

It takes a little practice to learn how to add Canopy Glue glass but once you learn the technique it goes smoothly and quickly.

In the above photo you can see the wet Canopy Glue is milky white. But it dries clear.

I prop the windows up while the Canopy Glue dries. It takes about 4 hours for the glue to completely dry so I go to bed and leave the model alone for 4 hours.

I find it very hard to leave a model alone when I am working on it. So I usually have another project to work on while the glue dries.

This time it is a diorama for our living room bookcase.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  01:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl, your barrel house is really taking shape.
And your other diorama looks stunning. I really like the green structure, with the raised middle section. Does this appear in another build thread, as I would like to see some more close up pics.

Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice diorama, Darryl. BTW, I placed my order for several packages of those great barrels from Dr. Ben (and a number of other 'had to have' items).

Bruce

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob Goslin,

I have some detail photos of the green building taken as I went along.

Will provide those shortly.

The model is kitbashed from a wood structure kit and a plastic kit.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the peeling paint on your window and door frames, Darryl. I'd like to know more about that fine looking diorama.

George

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob Goslin,

I had a short thread on another forum about the plastic kit I used.

Here is a link:

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4855.0

I will look for what I have on the other building later today.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Catís Head Pier Topic Next Topic: HO scale Barrel House in Tonopah, Nevada  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000