Railroad Line Forums - Lots of false information online about DCC
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Lots of false information online about DCC
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: DCC into older Bachmann Spectrum GE 70-Toner  

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  09:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of false information online about DCC ...
I have recently installed an ESU V4 Micro in my HOn3 C-25 locomotive and programmed it in the Lokprogrammer.
Everything worked well there.
Then when I tested it on the track yesterday, the light flashed ... and had a popping sound!?!
Also, the speed curve was completely out of whack, fast-slow-fast ????

I checked a little bit online to see what was wrong.
When it came to the flashing light, all the posts I found agreed that the LED wire had some contact with earth ....
So, the remedy according to them was to redo it....

However, there were many different theories on the speed curve ... Everything from the wrong drive step to a faulty motor(?).

After reading the manual a few more times, I came to the conclusion that the error should be that the decoder was not set to select drive steps automatically, which was easily corrected (check a box in the Lokprogrammer), and then the light worked perfectly.

The speed curve on the other hand .... Tested an auto configuration of the engine via CV 54 (value 0 & then press F1 and see the locomotive run away as shot from a cannon for a few feet and then press F1 again).
It made no difference.

Then I tried to change the starting CV (CV2) to 4 instead of 1, and look and behold, now it worked perfectly!

If I had listened to the "Internet professionals", I would have changed the LED without any benefit and in the worst case changed the motor....
So the bottom line is that you should read the flaming manual and test various things yourself by changing ONE thing at a time until you find a solution or answer.
Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Edited by - Graffen on 10/29/2019 09:27:02 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As frustrating as it may be Michael, those are all just suggestions to look for, that are given when going on the internet. Unless they have the locomotive in front of them, no one knows how you wired it, what has been programed into the decoder, or how your particular locomotive is acting. Yes, the first thing to do is read all your information and manuals, however many modelers don't do that first, then expect someone on the other end of a computer to decipher what is wrong.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's actually no troubleshooting guide for the ESU decoder.
The manual gave me hints, and as I've been installing DCC decoders since -98 I have some clues what does what.
That made me think about what could do that.
A DCC beginner is what I would call "crap out of luck"....

ESU doesn't even describe how to perform the auto configuration in the manual.

Michael Graff

Edited by - Graffen on 10/29/2019 12:12:50 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Most 'internet Guru's' aren't.

Jim

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  3:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say, I,m a big fan of ESU/Loksound but their documentation is extremely sparse. Especially for any sort of Quick Start type of document.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

wvg_ca
New Hire

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, if i understand correctly ...
you changed how it understood drive steps ..
and then the light worked ???

regards, Warren

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  8:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvg_ca

so, if i understand correctly ...
you changed how it understood drive steps ..
and then the light worked ???

Yes, the setting for it to recognize the systems speed step settings instead of setting the decoder to 28/128.
That's it.
I still don't really understand why the start voltage setting did what it did though...
The clue was in manual that there was different motor presets for different types of motors.
As I've remotored the locomotive with a Swiss Maxxon can motor, I followed the instructions for Faulhaber motors.

Michael Graff

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  06:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I go into my train room to get away from technology, to go back to 1965 and get away from the modern world. Yes I like having broadband, internet and sat. TV and my computer games and so forth but some days I need a refuge from all that and that is what my train room is all about. If I had to go thru what you just did Michael I would leave the hobby and never return.

Topic Next Topic: DCC into older Bachmann Spectrum GE 70-Toner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000