Railroad Line Forums - scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 232 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: o scale bar mills hinkles package store Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 28

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin a beautiful job with the shingles!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  10:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few cedar shingled roofs of different ages. I don't know if they are red or white cedar (Around here white cedar turns a pale gray, but doesn't hold up as long. Red cedar gets darker, and usually browner, evenntually turning sort of gray after many years.

This first one shows the first two courses after two days out in the weather.

Here's three year old shingles on the roof and recently stained shingles on the wall.

And here's shingles covered with lichens and moss that no one knows how old they are for sure

Edited by - Bill Gill on 06/29/2020 4:54:58 PM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  5:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i finished shingling the rear roof panel. i ended up using the left over 1" strips that i used on the gable roof. i have another package on order and will use those to finish off the top courses. these shingles are great, and i think they look great too.

thoughts?

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bill, thanks for posting those pics. i guess my shingles are red cedar, cuz they have alot of brown in them, but when i assemble the roofs i'm going to stain them one more time with silverwood that i mixed 5 drops of bone white paint in to get a more gray tone to the shingles.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/29/2020 :  4:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last night was a bit of a milestone. i glued the gabled roof section to the main building and tonight i will set the ridge and glue the roof panels on.

www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/kebmo1/2020629161012_gable roof glued to building 1.jpg" border="0">

i have no idea why the first picture didn't post.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  07:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

It just keeps looking better and better!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  08:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The shingles look great, Kevin!

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  10:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks jim and mike. i appreciate it.
i mis-spoke in an earlier post saying i would glue the roof panels on. i have one more thing to do the front panel before i can glue it on, and the product i'm waiting for is coming today so hopefully over the next couple of days i will be able to glue them on.

Edited by - kebmo1 on 07/01/2020 10:09:28 AM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  11:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm glad this place is back up and running. i'm here at least 45 minutes a day and get kinda itchy when it goes down.

iwhen i was a kid, when you got stencils, each letter (upper and lower case) came on it's own separate piece of thin cardstock, to make it easier to align the letters....but not today...all the letters are cast into a piece of plastic. i had no idea and i bought four different sizes.(thanks for the great product description amazon). i drew a level line across a piece of thin chipboard where i wanted the bottom of the lettering to be, and tracing each letter from the stencil to the chipboard, and then cutting the letters out with a #11 blade. no easy task that.
two hours later i had this:

and with that i did this:

a couple of comments about that picture:
the reason the letters seem so high up on the roof and so far to the right is because there is another roof i haven't built yet that extends over the balcony. i haven't figured out exactly how high up the roof the balcony roof starts, but i'm guessing at least two feet. also, i think the letters will appear to be centered over that roof, so that explains that. since this picture was taken i removed the roof panels, took down the brightness of the lettering with rembrandt chalk and drybrushed both panels with a light grey acrylic. the reason i had to remove them (and man was that a *****) was because the right end of the roof was noticably lower than it should have been. i fixed that and the glues just setting up overnight. i've decided the structure needs more exterior lights, so i may wait to glue the panels back on until after i work out the lighting situation. til then...
i will finish this thing, this beast, this monster.....

Edited by - kebmo1 on 07/07/2020 11:51:48 PM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  11:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lights came and i got one of the m hooked up. it's not secured in its hole, but at least i got it to work. these lights from evans are unbelievably simple to hook up. if you can solder two wires you can do it. it's that simple.
this is the one in the front of the tackle shop. i have one for the rear too but i have to order a new resistor harness. (i screwed it up)

i just learned that you can run up to fifty of their pico leds on a 9v battery. i'm down wih that. hell, i've been shocking my tongue on 9v batteries all my life to see if i maybe had one that wasn't dead that i could put in my pedal cuz i forgot to change it and the gig starts in 5 minutes, so i'm pretty sure i won't get electrocuted.....

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  11:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you found an agreeable technique/method to light up your structures Kevin..

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  4:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me too carl. i just wish i had taken the plunge before finishing so many models. i don't dare trying lighting them after the fact.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  10:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
I've been silently following your build and completely in awe with your work especially the old siding finish, the roof shingles, the outhouse as well as the overall appearance of the build.
Shame on me for not saying so much sooner.
Outstanding Work!!!

David Guffey

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks dave, i really appreciate that.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin this is really turning into a outstanding build. Gets better with every post!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: o scale bar mills hinkles package store Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000