Railroad Line Forums - Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 309 ]  [ Total: 317 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century Topic Next Topic: Jamboree Kit  

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2019 :  11:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge

I've included both names as I have seen folks address them with either name. I think what I am trying to create is principally a viaduct, but yesterday I inserted a bridge in a portion of it. I did it in a straight track portion, so I could alternately allow for it to be included in the final trackwork, or perhaps not.

The bottom deck of my layout is to represent principally the city Baltimore, home of America's start with the railroad industry. There is a neat stone arch bridge there in the suburbs, the Thomas viaduct that is even more famous as I read more about it. I wanted to include such a viaduct on my layout as a landmark representative of Baltimore.

I recently became aware that I had several photos I had posted of this viaduct that were not actually the Thomas viaduct, even thought they look very similar. One was a double track affair, the Thomas one, and one was a single track affair located in another state. I'll get into that later.

Turns out I have need of both a single track portion and a double track portion. How to construct them is another big question mark for me. I am making a mock-up using foamcore board right now, and it is presenting even more challenges than I originally anticipated.
Brian

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2019 :  11:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas Viaduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Viaduct

The Thomas Viaduct spans the Patapsco River and Patapsco Valley between Relay, Maryland and Elkridge, Maryland, USA. It was commissioned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O); built between July 4, 1833, and July 4, 1835; and named for Philip E. Thomas, the company's first president.[3]

At its completion, the Thomas Viaduct was the largest railroad bridge in the United States[4] and the country's first multi-span masonry railroad bridge to be built on a curve. It remains the world's oldest multiple arched stone railroad bridge.[5] In 1964, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Interestingly, it was commisioned and built so early on by B&O's first president,...and its still in use TODAY !!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Thomas-viaduct-1.jpg/800px-Thomas-viaduct-1.jpg

Brian

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update

Here are the two zones of my viaduct marked out with the yellow marks. On the right side of the dwg is the double track 2 mainlines leading up most of that side from its start down in the lower end, up to the tunnel entrance to the helix at the back wall.

The single track portion is represented by that track that that splits off of one of the double track mainlines just prior to entering the helix portal and travels along the back wall to curve down and eventually join back in with the inboard mainline down the left side of the layout. This is my 'alternative track' that allows a trains to run continuous loops around the lower level of the layout without having to climb the helix each time.

In both cases the viaduct(s) climb over two different tracks at their upper heights,...near the helix portal.
The longer double track portion climbs a 2.64% grade,... best I can do at the moment.
I'm not even going to mention the grade for the shorter single track portion at this time, as I am sure I will get many naysayers. Lets just say that I envision that in MOST cases the trains will be running down this grade, not up it.

Very rough mock-up at the beginning,...those blocks of wood are not the correct height

And those sheets of foamcore standing vertical are no where near correct,...just spare pieces thrown up to approx the outer reaches of the Balt city scene. And that viaduct there is an older plastic one I happen to have laying around.

(I was originally planning on letting the Balt property line come out and cover that curved track exiting/entering the back wall. but there were some problems there with incorporating the viaduct directly into that 'property line' with the city, so I thought it best to put the city line in back of that curved track. I think I will now let that curved track behind the viaduct be one that is exciting/entering the 'harbor tunnel' of Balt)

Brian

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paper Arches/Stone Work

Until I decide on a method to make these decorative facings I could just get along with these paper ones temporarily.

As you can see I intend to have a pretty extensive stone arch viaduct at that end of the layout.

....right on around between the turntable and the background buildings/images of Baltimore City

Brian

Edited by - railandsail on 12/11/2019 09:15:48 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The viaduct will be very dramatic, especially when trains run over it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Styrofoam meat/vegetable trays from the supermarket are free and easily carved with all kinds of tools. Try copying one of your paper drawings on the flat bottom part of a tray, incising the stone joints with a dull hobby knife or the like. If it comes out satisfactory, glue the carved foam to a hardboard backing and you're off....

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The viaduct will be very dramatic, especially when trains run over it.

Previous Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century Topic Next Topic: Jamboree Kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000