Railroad Line Forums - Ferris Wheel Restart
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Ferris Wheel Restart
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 5

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  5:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Jim, It's looking so good!
Looks like a fun but challenging project.
Did you print the seats with a pilot hole for the 1mm Rod or just drill it out after printing?

Bob

Bob, I printed the hole in there. There is a little shrinkage with ABS plastic, so I figured on 1.2 mm and the 1mm wire slips in with almost no play. Came out pretty good. Haven't got the drill out yet, just the Grobet files in a few spots.

Jim

Thank you, That is very helpful to me.
Bob

It's only make-believe

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost missed it, Thanks Pete, Russ, and George! In part of my opening spiel that got wacked. I mentioned that this is going to have to be a 'low bid' deal, as the Whiplash Lawyers from the Tilt-a-Whirl project are still trying to squeeze me.

Jim

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  6:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see another WINNER coming down the line!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  7:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Id reckon the SBW is a bit greater than post WW-II. By 25% minimum.

Based on the size of the chair in which they rolled me out of the hospital on Thursday. I think the operative word is "minimum," and the number is much higher.

Pete
in Michigan

Those new chairs Ive seen in ERs were exactly what Id had in mind when I made that post.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  8:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you planning an entire midway?

Cool, I'll be watching!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  9:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Are you planning an entire midway?

Cool, I'll be watching!

Carl, I bought 4 of the motors, they are all 10 rpm devices. The Carousel and Tilt-a-Whirl ran at 10 rpm, this Ferris Wheel will be geared down to 1 rpm. If I was nuts enough to do a Rock-a-Plane or Rotor, I'd probably need to gear up to about 25 rpm. I'm trying not to go completely crazy with these. Maybe a nice easy India Ink and Alcohol tinted Popsicle stick project next.

Jim

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  02:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Jim.

TomO

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  08:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom,

Long way yet to go on this one.

Jim

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  12:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Jim.

Rail and Tie
Section Hand

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rail and Tie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by Rail and Tie

Awesome build idea. I like where you are headed with this one.

Ever considered lighting the wheel with LEDs? Easier than you think with something like these micro sliprings for wiring.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6ways-small-capsule-slip-ring-1A_62032817226.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.7.4e01612aeQkMlR

Tie and or Rail,

I haven't considered it, too many other pieces and parts to get a handle on. Are you building something with those micro sliprings?

Jim

Jim, I have been planning a Merry Go Round for a while and would like to light it up along with some music simulation. These sliprings seem to fit the bill. I saw them first on some Miniature Wunderland videos where they are doing an amusement park.

Looking forward to your progress.

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  8:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tie or Rail,

I don't see why you are adding the complication of the sliprings. Are you planning on counter-rotating the top with the LEDs imbedded? That will be amazing to see that done in HO scale. New Orleans had such a carousel, I saw it the week before Katrina took out the Zoo.

The music is easy, just get a hold of the vendor ITT Products in California and order the module. Tieing it into the drive mechanism does take a little knowledge of things like H-Bridges, and a way of detecting the right signal wires off of the sound module to trigger the drive motor. The guy who sells the sound module doesn't provide any of that info either in the documentation (very little) or on the phone. If you didn't see the carousel video I did, it's here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vbd0nof3w8dhav/Carousel.mp4?dl=0

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 08/26/2019 10:21:09 PM

Rail and Tie
Section Hand

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rail and Tie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, you did a great job with your carousel which inspired me to get thinking about one for our club layout. Yes, the plan would be to imbed leds and maybe some fiber optics in the rotating top of the ride. Keep designing and figuring! It keeps the rest of us motivated!!

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  01:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some regress and progress going on with the Ferris wheel. I tried the balance of the main wheels in a makeshift support. Bad news! the wheels weren't running true enough to drive the assembly with the method I had thought about doing. Even though I had accurately built the spacers between the main wheels, in the process of gluing them in place, a little error here and there transmitted through the assembly and it looked like this in the worst case. Bad enough that the seat wouldn't rotate through the intended motion. Resulting in an unusable major part of the project.

So I printed off another set of the wheel components, and built a jig to make sure I didn't repeat that first failure. I also used a flat machinist's stone and steel weights to take any bowing out of the wheel side that I would use as my reference point. Sounded good, until the next problem showed up. The center point of the wheel sides were off center with each other (this 3D printing stuff is sometimes like working with melted cheese).

I knew I was going to use the 1 X 3mm bearings in the center of the wheel assembly and had printed a 3mm hole at 'the center', well that was where the cheese was melted and re-melted during the build process, and where the problem was centered (no pun intended). In the test stand I was getting a runout of + or - 5mm. But, the side to side deviation between the wheels was less than .5mm which was great. So I just needed to get that wheelset to run true....

So I came up with this solution. A pair of indexed eccentrics to correct the runout.

{br]

The two parts are mirror images of each other. The largest diameter is only .5mm thick. the next step up is 8mm in diameter and about 1.5mm thick. Finally the top layer id 5mm in diameter with a tight 3mm center, and it's 2.5mm thick.
So, I took out my handy old hand drill and put a 5/16th hole in the center of each wheel. I drilled a 2mm hole into the center of the top layer (eccentric) of each disk. I put a bearing in the eccentric layer. and then inserted one on each side of the wheel assembly. By adjust each disk a little at a time, I was able to correct the runout to nearly zero. I put a dot into the index notch in disk/wheel set point, then glued the disks permanently in those locations.

Seemed like a lot of work & time, with coming up with solving 2 major P.I.T.A. problems with the build. Hope I'm not boring you all with the trial and error antics of mine. Oh, here is how the seat now fits without a hitch.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/02/2019 01:31:46 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I admire your persistence and ingenuity in figuring out solutions.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  09:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike,

My wife says I'm Bullheaded, I think I'm tenacious.  

Jim

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000