Railroad Line Forums - Anonymous Members
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Anonymous Members
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge
Page: of 2

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This subject has come up occasionally in discussions with several members, myself included.

When I sign on to the forums, I see that someone has signed on as an "Anonymous Member". Then, once I click on "Online Users", that Anonymous Member is viewing "Active Topics", just like someone who is signed in, (With their name attached), but not the Anonymous Member. I don't understand how this is possible nor how or why anyone has to do this, or why it is allowed. If you're an active member, then why be so secretive? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Can anyone explain to us why this is allowed?
Thanks
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, I forgot to add this to my above post.
When I signed in this morning, the following is what was seen at the top of the page that opened:

[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 136 ]

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe should take that out so you sign in as a member or not at all.

Just what is the big secret anyway????

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  12:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,

I don't believe its anything nefarious. Just a glitch, like having to login when you were already logged in. No black helicopters, just a wacky old database.

Or, it may be as "some UFO investigators believe", possibly Extraterrestrial in nature!

Jim

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, I don't know whom you are talking about?

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Rich,

I don't believe its anything nefarious. Just a glitch, like having to login when you were already logged in. No black helicopters, just a wacky old database.

Or, it may be as "some UFO investigators believe", possibly Extraterrestrial in nature!

Jim

Sorry Jim, if you are somewhat misled. It is not a glitch. First, if it were any of the Administrators of the site, they have their own way of signing in and when they do, their names
are visible. Second, the Administrators can view
things that normal members cannot, and if they
do, the things they do are not known to the rest
of us, and they shouldn't be.
Third, I just signed in again and there is one active anonymous member signed in viewing active topics.
So Jim, if it was a glitch, then how can you explain why this happens more than one time per day? Actually, I am really not concerned about someone's use of the option, but am wondering why it can be done. I don't know how to sign in that way, so it may be someone with something to hide from the rest of us !! I have an idea who it is, because I was told by him that he was using the feature a while ago.

Rich

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Then that is weird. What the heck is the point of doing it? Being the ultimate lurker? I don't get it.

Jim

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  5:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Sorry Jim, if you are somewhat misled. It is not a glitch. First, if it were any of the Administrators of the site, they have their own way of signing in and when they do, their names
are visible. Second, the Administrators can view
things that normal members cannot, and if they
do, the things they do are not known to the rest
of us, and they shouldn't be.
Third, I just signed in again and there is one active anonymous member signed in viewing active topics.
So Jim, if it was a glitch, then how can you explain why this happens more than one time per day? Actually, I am really not concerned about someone's use of the option, but am wondering why it can be done. I don't know how to sign in that way, so it may be someone with something to hide from the rest of us !! I have an idea who it is, because I was told by him that he was using the feature a while ago.

Rich

Rich,

I log in exactly the same way you do, so I don't know what you mean when you say "Administrators of the site, they have their own way of signing in".

I have never seen an Anonymous user when I click on the 'Online Users' link.
I don't recall seeing it either before I was a Mod or Admin, but that was a long time ago.

Admins, as far as I know don't view anything that is not known to the rest of the membership other than how many pending members are waiting to be approved.
We do have two separate areas that are available to only Mods and one for Admins.

I logged out and just logged in again and don't see an option for logging in anonymously.

Regardless, I'm not sure why any of this is troubling you.
If you're not comfortable discussing it in public, send me, or any of the other Mods/Admins a PM.
I will reach out to Joe and ask him if he knows anything about it.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  8:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The option of logging in as an "Anonymous Member" is the very last drop down option on your profile page. If you set the "Show on Active Users" to "NO" then your user name won't be shown on the "Active User" list. However, if that person adds a comment on the site, their name will be displayed in the post. Some people just like their privacy when they're are browsing a website. I don't think it is something to get upset over, or to want changed. We all have the same option available.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  8:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick I just came on and this is what he is talking about

[Anonymous] Forums 08/06/2019
8:26:31 PM 5 Minutes
View robchant's Profile robchant Active Topics 08/06/2019
8:20:55 PM 11 Minutes
View Pennman's Profile Pennman Viewing Topic:
Anonymous Members 08/06/2019
8:22:02 PM 9 Minutes
View David J Buchholz's Profile Send David J Buchholz an instant message David J Buchholz Viewing Topic:
Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, M 08/06/2019
8:23:37 PM 8 Minutes
[Anonymous] Active Topics 08/06/2019
8:23:53 PM 8 Minutes
View TRAINS1941's Profile TRAINS1941 Active Users 08/06/2019
8:29:12 PM 2 Minutes

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  9:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't start this thread to get in a shooting match with anyone, and it isn't troubling me by any means and I'm not upset at all.
I just wanted to know how it is possible and why why is it allowed. The only reason I can honestly come up with is the person who is using it doesn't want anyone to know he is currently online and knowing what he's viewing.

Rick - As far as what I meant by the Admins different way of being online is, sometimes an Admin is online, and there is a " blank space" after the Admin . So what, it could be Joe checking something, which is not my concern.

All I know is that what I am online, I look at what I have missed from being elsewhere, get my business done, and get off. And OH, there's an anonymous member signed on now as I am posting this !!

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly as Robert Chant explained. Its not a life threating practice.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Exactly as Robert Chant explained. Its not a life threating practice.

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  07:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't have to be a member to surf just to post. So if a non-member is surfing he/she shows up as Anonymous as we can't know their name if they aren't a member. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

You don't have to be a member to surf just to post. So if a non-member is surfing he/she shows up as Anonymous as we can't know their name if they aren't a member. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Really?? I don't buy that as an answer, remember, this is 2019, not 1919. An anonymous member I'd still a member. So if that person is just surfing and can't post, then why don't they show as a "Guest" ?

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is where Rich sees this shown within OnLine Users. As Rob Chant explained; (The option of logging in as an "Anonymous Member" is the very last drop down option on your profile page. If you set the "Show on Active Users" to "NO" then your user name won't be shown on the "Active User" list. However, if that person adds a comment on the site, their name will be displayed in the post).

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000