Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann On30 2-6-2T 'Trench Engine'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann On30 2-6-2T 'Trench Engine'
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: Chivers Slimrails is now closed.
Page: of 2

hiesler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  12:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see hiesler's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A 'leaked' announcement in the form of an advert in the July/August issue of Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette.

Amazing news to see an all new locomotive for the On30 range. I have been fascinated by these engines for a long time.

elliott-maine
Section Hand

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  1:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And people complained that the Forneys had limited use. Would like to see the running gear and what it will be usable for.

ScottyB
New Hire

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  1:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my thread locked in the Bachmann forum for mentioning this!

Apparently this is supposed to be announced next week! Hopefully more than just the loco but it shows the market is still there for new On30 products.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  1:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around 1000 of these locomotives were made, they are probably one on the largest runs of narrow gauge engines made. They were distributed around the world after WW1 and some ran on logging lines in the US. I think we will be seeing lots of interesting models coming from these engines.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would caution anyone knocking Bachmann for releasing ANY new locos. We have all been banging on when they went quiet and didn't release anything. Then many complained about their last release because it was 'just' a re-release of an old model without the front truck.
If what they release doesn't suit your modeling just be thankful they are releasing anything. Besides imagination will find a place on almost/all layouts simply because On30 is a 'creative' scale/gauge.

I'll be buying one just to say thanks to Bachmann for supporting our hobby.

bruce

ScottyB
New Hire

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed! I thought they would just go forward re-releasing previous models with minor upgrades. Getting a new engine is a great surprise. They did say next week was NMRA announcements, plural. I'm sure they are referring to all scales but hopefully there is a new freight car as well to compliment the new engine?

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  02:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also keep in mind that there is a huge 1/48 military modeling market.
Bachmann may be playing two markets here.

bruce

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, just another bad prototype selected by Bachmann.

Wait a year and find them for $49.99 at Trainworld.

And there is no 1/48 WWI military modeling.

This is up there with the ugly duckling outside frame 4-4-0,too large Tweetsie Ten-Wheeler and too late 2-4-4-2.

Just sayin'

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 07/09/2019 07:32:51 AM

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe some manufacturer could come with an "Americanized" version of the cab and we could turn it into a unique logging or industrial engine.
Mark B.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! What a GREAT PROTOTYPE! I would never have figured that Bachmann would come out with one of these. I'll likely have to get one or two. I was really, really jealous when they came out with the 4-6-0 in Hon30, only selling them in Europe.

Does anyone know if these are the finished models or will they have the Walschaerts valve gear as per prototype. Nice to see another small engine for On30. Lots of use of these engines worldwide, even some on a West Virginia logging railroad.

Was kinda hoping an engine like this wouldn't be available. Now I might have to model some WWI trench warfare or the Lost River Lumber Co. Yet another module..........

Folks will be able to kit bash these into many, many different locos....

Great to see Bachmann still in the On30 game.

Cheers!

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

p51
New Hire

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, such a great idea, I'm going to have to have one as soon as they come out!
I have a Army RR unit on my 1943-themed layout and a few of these engines were still running for the military up to early WW2, so it wouldn't be a stretch at all to see them running where troops are training for overseas deployments.
Many went to other lines after the war, all over the world. It's a very good design.
It's a neat looking little engine, too.
quote:
Originally posted by hminky

Sorry, just another bad prototype selected by Bachmann.

You mean one of the largest production runs for a narrow gauge locomotive, several of which are still running today? I guess you want some D&RGW prototypes?
quote:

And there is no 1/48 WWI military modeling.

There actually is, you just have to look for it. I know of several WW1 layouts, most of which are across the pond, though.

quote:

too large Tweetsie Ten-Wheeler
That's the reason why I got back into the hobby, this specific locomotive as I had always wanted to model the ET&WNC.
I have talked with Bachmann reps before and they have confirmed that the ten-wheeler has been a big seller.

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  12:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I guess you want some D&RGW prototypes?

No, I want a small consolidation or 4-4-0 from the Porter Catalog and never D&RGW.
quote:
There actually is, you just have to look for it. I know of several WW1 layouts, most of which are across the pond, though.

Yeah, if you have to look for something the consensus is it isn't really viable.
quote:
That's the reason why I got back into the hobby, this specific locomotive as I had always wanted to model the ET&WNC.
I have talked with Bachmann reps before and they have confirmed that the ten-wheeler has been a big seller.

I am happy that you like the ten-wheeler. Of course the reps say it is a great seller, they are reps. Trainworld has them in the garage sale bin for $70.

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/model-train-specials/specials-on30-scale/

Bachmann's loco selection went downhill after the OF 2-8-0.

Harold

nortonw
New Hire

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thought that dovetails nicely into this thread.

I just saw two News Feeds into my Facebook account that say, "If you want to raise a more creative and imaginative child, limit their number of toys." When some serious thought is put into this statement, it makes perfect sense, especially for the modeling world. When what we want isn't manufactured by someone, many modelers find something they can bash into what they want. A model like this can be made into many different versions and I'm guessing that since On30 probably has many kitbashers onboard, this would be right up their alley.

JMHO...

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  5:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheez hminky did you get of the wrong side of the bed?
First there is a lot of 1/48 military modeling. Both WW1 and WW11. There has been an excellent thread on these forums about WW1.
Sorry but Bachmanns world isn't centered in the USA.
Just maybe they are after European modellers. Maybe they think that they can grow a European market. I know of similar narrow gauge locos here in Australia. They may make money out of it and put that money back into the USA market. Who knows. But I do know that we don't know how Bachmann does their research and marketing.

But regardless. On30 is a 'creative' scale/gauge. I know of very very few 30" gauge prototypes being modeled in 1/48. So my guess is that for every complaint about model choice there will be hundreds of modelers out kit bashing this new loco into a fine piece of imagination.

I've been an importer and a manufacturer in the model railroad industry. I know that many many folks are quick to complain and slow to open their wallets!

If Bachmann decides to put out a On30 Thomas the tank engine then good for them. I'll be thinking about what I could do with one.

bruce

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the look of that loco. I can see lots of potential to change it into a logging or industrial tank engine and it will have loads of uses for modelling outside of North America.

I suppose there was no way any manufacturer could keep everyone happy with their next release but this one seems like a pretty good choice, especially outside the American market.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one am a happy camper.

This model was actually pushed through by one of our RRLF members Les Davis. He went to Bachmann with a concept to test print items of interest in 3d to see it they would like the model enough to create it. There is a FB group that have been posting proof of concept for this engine and others and are going to Bachmann to produce the, If this engine sells the ON30 community have door open to get new models.

BTW I am currently building the WW1 layout that is being posted on this site.

To see more click on the link below.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: Chivers Slimrails is now closed.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000