Railroad Line Forums - coulples night x2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 coulples night x2
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ACF 3500 centerflow cylindrical hopper car brakes Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress  

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what Kadee type couplers should I use for all my athern, Walthers, Bachmann, Life Like, Tyco and atlas cars and loco motives?
"This skin reserved for Silver Fox Cape For Mrs. Van Dough."
--from Looney Tunes' Fox Pop

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have replaced everything with Kadee 148 whiskers, just easier for me to install. Not sure they will fit everything you mentioned but Kadee does does have a page to match up couplers to rolling stock.

Tom

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  2:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Tom said! The 148 whisker couplers will fit into a lot of company equipment's original boxes. And, there are easy replacement boxes for the odd ball equipment. https://www.kadee.com/convpl.htm
Below pictures are the Kadee #148 coupler.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  09:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using Kadee's #148 and #158 for freight cars and locomotives, both to convert horn/hooks and to replace plastic-spring and plastic-shank knock-offs. They generally work well, but in some coupler pockets they're more prone to up/down floppiness than their MKD-5/10 predecessors. I just checked a #158 vs. #5/10 & centering spring: the same thickness to .001". I think the difference is that the 5/10 bronze spring extends to or beyond the front of the pocket, which offsets casting warp, sloppy mold work etc. at the opening of the box.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I've been using Kadee's #148 and #158 for freight cars and locomotives, both to convert horn/hooks and to replace plastic-spring and plastic-shank knock-offs. They generally work well, but in some coupler pockets they're more prone to up/down floppiness than their MKD-5/10 predecessors. I just checked a #158 vs. #5/10 & centering spring: the same thickness to .001". I think the difference is that the 5/10 bronze spring extends to or beyond the front of the pocket, which offsets casting warp, sloppy mold work etc. at the opening of the box.

This is very true in very few cases, but using a plastic shim, or cutting the sides off the bronze spring fixes that problem of sloppiness in the box area.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Previous Topic: ACF 3500 centerflow cylindrical hopper car brakes Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000