Railroad Line Forums - NC&StL "What-If" Layout Idea
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 43 ]  [ Total: 44 ]  [ Newest Member: sonictek ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 NC&StL "What-If" Layout Idea
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ProTrak Operations Software now FREE Topic Next Topic: Critique My Layout Idea  

ncstl576
New Hire

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  2:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I wanted to share my current idea for an NC&StL layout. This would obviously be a "dream layout" (emphasis on dream) and certainly require more than one deck. Any suggestions as to actual layout design are more than welcome, as I've only really got the concept at the moment.

The NC&StL never actually reached St. Louis, though they certainly tried. In the late 1870s they were in negotiations to acquire the St. Louis & Southeastern and the Owensboro & Nashville, but the L&N managed to snatch it out from under them. The StL&SE would eventually become the L&N Evansville Division. In 1880 the L&N acquired the NC&StL, though the latter remained independent until 1957.

This layout assumes the L&N wasn't able to acquire the StL&SE or the O&N, and the NC&StL now boasts a St. Louis-Atlanta main line and control of the Central of Georgia. The layout, set in 1945-1954 range, is essentially the L&N Evansville Division from E. St. Louis to Evansville, Indiana. The handsome J-3 "Yellow Jackets" are hauling passenger trains like the "Dixie Flyer" and the "Georgian" for the time being, though new EMD E-units will soon take their place. Several other railroads appear through interchanges, while I hope could be modeled as "living" interchanges, as Bill Darnaby refers to them.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  5:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum!

A backstory is really not much to go on for layout design ... so you might want to add your Given & Druthers. (You didn't even tell us a gauge or the size of your space.)

Take care,
Rob.

ncstl576
New Hire

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  2:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Welcome to the forum!

A backstory is really not much to go on for layout design ... so you might want to add your Given & Druthers. (You didn't even tell us a gauge or the size of your space.)

Take care,
Rob.

As I'm an armchair modeler for the time being, so I'm afraid these parameters aren't really set. I'm not even really decided on HO vs N - modelling the NC&StL would require a fair amount of kitbashing and scratchbuilding in any scale.

Previous Topic: ProTrak Operations Software now FREE Topic Next Topic: Critique My Layout Idea  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000