Railroad Line Forums - L&D 50Ton Center Cab
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 L&D 50Ton Center Cab
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Junk Yard Critter Topic Next Topic: Glens diesel rebuild thread
Page: of 2

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  8:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
more to come.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The projects never seem to end. I have another project to do along with a list of other stuff.

We decided to power a siding on the Muskrat Ramble On30 layout since we’ve had so much success with the Split Jaw reversing units. The locomotive we’ve selected is a Bachmann 50 Ton Whitcomb Center Cab with the sound module.

I searched Louisiana short line railroads and decided on the “Louisiana & Delta RR”. Their color scheme was close to the B’mann unit and I liked the logo. The “North Louisiana & Arkansas” was a dead ringer color wise but the lettering was boring.

I sent the artwork to Jim Hopes and he ran off a set of decals for me. I painted the trucks and rods silver like the L&D. I had a set of zebra stripes left over from a previous decal job so I added those to the pilots. I’m going to add spark arrestors to the stacks and then the necessary weathering.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  12:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thing your not busy!!

Looks to be another Palmer interesting build!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  12:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's one fine critter, Frank. I really like the double side rod trucks, the clean details, paint job...just everything about it! One thing, though. Is that masking tape on the windows and headlight?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  7:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Jerry tell me about it.

Russ, it’s a Bachmann straight out of the box. All I did so far was add the decals. And yes that is masking tape. That way the dull coat and weathering doesn’t effect the windows.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  3:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well this was a 3-week project that drug out over various other projects.

I made a pair of spark arrestors from 1/16” plywood circles and very fine screen wrapped around and glued in place. I installed the Bachmann sound system and it sounds pretty good for a DC locomotive. We’ll be running it on a Split Jaw powered reversing track.

I started the weathering process by spraying a very light coat of Tamiya Flat Clear over the entire loco. And another light coat between each layer of weathering. I used pan pastels, oil washes, Vallejo paints and burnt Sienna oil halos around the rust spots.

Yes I did eventually take the tape off the headlights.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  4:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another winner, Frank. Good weathering, looks like a Bachmann that's been 'straight out of the box' for some years.
No bell?

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"A three week project that drug out...."

Three weeks???

I call "No Fair!!" even with the "drug out" admission! That's the kind of project that takes me somewhere around two years!

Very, very nicely done, Frank! Nicely done indeed! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  5:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, that looks Fabulous! With a capital "F".

Greg Shinnie

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  5:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, your weathering technique is just amazing. I need to learn how to weather like that.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  6:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

There is masking tape on your headlight. Sorry, the    made me do it! Another over the top job of fine weathering. This is awesome.

Jim

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is not masking tape. In my vocation, I am involved in Night Vision Goggles and aircraft lighting that is NVG compatible. Frank asked me to get him a filter that would fit the headlight so you need to have NVG's to see the loco coming at night

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill.

Pete, you need to start getting more sleep if that would take you 2 years.

Thanks Greg much appreciated.

Russ, maybe I’ll just do that in a couple of days. We have an open house coming up on Saturday so I’ll see what I can do after that.

Jim, yes I noticed it after I posted the pics. You can see my comment between pics 3 and 4. It’s amazing what you see in photos AFTER you’ve taken them, packed up the camera and moved into the house.

That’s over my head Tim.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/18/2019 7:24:48 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  8:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  9:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Pete, you need to start getting more sleep if that would take you 2 years.

Frank,

What is this "sleep" of which you speak?

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  9:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank you've done it again! A true Master of Modeling"

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Junk Yard Critter Topic Next Topic: Glens diesel rebuild thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000