Railroad Line Forums - Mt. Willard section house.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Mt. Willard section house.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening
Page: of 5

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  11:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tour Gordon. Looks like you have a lot of work cut out for yourself!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  2:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon, One technique that has worked for me is to scribe the mullions into 0.01" clear styrene using the back of a #11 X-Acto blade and steel rule as a guide.
The scribed line is then filled with the color of the rest of the window and the excess is wiped away when the paint has somewhat dried.
Here are two examples:

General store front display windows:

Hotel 2nd & 3rd floor windows (1st floor has Tichy windows):

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2019 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Nice work. That layout will keep you busy and off the street at nights.

Yes it does. I'm 74 and rarely go out after dark anymore... if we do I tell my wife "we're on a date'.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2019 :  11:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Bill Gill

Gordon, One technique that has worked for me is to scribe the mullions into 0.01" clear styrene using the back of a #11 X-Acto blade and steel rule as a guide.
The scribed line is then filled with the color of the rest of the window and the excess is wiped away when the paint has somewhat dried.

Bill... I'll have to give that a try.

Nice looking buildings. Thanks.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I tried Bill's window technique. Works good. The green I'm using will even show up against black behind the windows.

The basement walls have been completed ready for painting.

The basement windows are the only plain windows in the entire house. Once painted the wall will be secured to the foundation as seen here and all of this permanently installed. The rest of the house will just sit on the foundation so it can be removed if necessary.

That little shed attached to the inset wall, at best guess, is the privy opening into the basement. All pictures to date I have seen don't show a privy anywhere. It gets very cold and windy in the Notch so it makes since not to have to go outside but just down to the basement. The basement plan does show a door opening at this precise location. I did finally see a picture which barely shows this shed with a tiny window towards the top... just like a privy. You will notice I don't have that tiny window. I forgot it... oh well.

Gordon Spalty

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  4:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the basement is finished and area sceniced. I'll add a trap door for the coal to be shoveled into the basement coal bin.

Now the rest of the building can be built at the workbench once I think everything through.

Gordon Spalty

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well back at it after a few life interruptions.

I drew a plan for the East wall from pictures and the model in the museum. I wasn't quite happy with my placement of the windows being too high especially the second floor. The floor plan for the first floor noted 8'9" ceiling height... so... I figured with plaster and lath, floor joist and wood flooring this would amount to the second floor being about a foot thick. I measured from the bottom of the first floor and drew in the second floor. Using these floor lines I repositioned the windows. They look much better to me.

The North wall window presented a challenge.
I used a Grandt semicircular window casting and scratched the rest around it.

For the stain glass I used florescent markers on plain paper and coated with Pledge floor wax (acrylic)to seal it. Trimmed to fit the window and recoated with floor wax and set in place.

There is a bay window on the East side wall where the dinning area is. I modified some Tichy windows for the bay window.

The bay window was finished by adding some solid square styrene above and below the window frames. The roof was card stock saturated with super glue to stiffen it.

I usually leave my window treatment plain black but I wanted to show the fancy upper window mullions I had mentioned before. I tried Bill Gill's method but wasn't quite satisfied with my ability to pull it off. Then it dawned on me there where curtains on all the windows. This would show off the mullions with the white curtains behind. However the curtains appear to be semitransparent and not a pure white to the eye. I had primed my walls and windows with a gray primer in misting coats. The windows were taped to scratch paper so they wouldn't blow around when sprayed. Some areas of the paper looked like the curtain material in the pictures.

A coating of floor wax on the window material and when dry I used a ultra fine Sharpie marker to ink in the mullions. My wife found a dark green ultra fine marker but the ink wouldn't dry and didn't show up well.

So this is the almost completed walls so far.

Gordon Spalty

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I like the bashed arch window.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  6:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work on the windows, Gordon.

George

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  9:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Not contest quality but suits my needs. I did the best I can handle and I'm satisfied so I'm happy.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now have portions of the building glued together. Now to build the turret.

Walls and windows lightly primed. I use double sided tape to hold everything down while spraying.
I will install the windows to add strength to the walls before gluing them together.
I beveled the wall edges so hopefully they will mate better. This is going to be tricky getting everything together so... fingers crossed.

Gordon

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  08:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assembled partial turret. Rear upper walls on back next.

These walls only have primer coat on as I need to add a strip of shingles between lower and upper windows.

Gordon

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  09:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work on the turret, Gordon.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. As George said, you did a neat job. Its very fussy work having to bevel the edges evenly.

Beautiful architectural style.

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Gordon, that's coming out to be a great build.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: SL&N construction blog Topic Next Topic: Scenery Challenge, camouflage opening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000