Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay
Page: of 3

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

I'm only catching up to this thread now, but I love the look of what you are working towards. I'm sure it'll keep you busy for a while!

Thanks Neil. I wanted something to do as I eased in to retirement and I think this will be fun.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  12:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bench…….errrr…… shelf work for the" Blue Ridge Stemwinder”, an On30 homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

In my last two On30 mini layouts I made exclusive use of lightweight materials such as Styrofoam board and aluminum metal supports. There is no wood in either of them except perhaps the model wooden structures.

I found this material to be easy to work with, lightweight, and durable.

With the experience gained on the "minis" I was ready to tackle the around the walls shelf layout of the ET&WNC. Again, I wanted to use easy, lightweight materials to construct the shelf supports.

The Gladiator track system available at Lowes seemed a good one to build the shelves for the layout.

The track that supports the shelving is attached to studs behind the drywall in the train shed. The shelving is easily attached and is about 12 inches deep. The plan for the layout calls for 12-18 inch deep sub roadbed. I think the lightweight materials will be easily supported by this shelving system which is easy to use and readily available.

So far everything seems fairly straight and level.

It Is enjoyable getting back to layout construction with these newer materials. Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  1:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Labor Day and the painters and stencil man want to get the day off. The boss wanted some pictures of the newly labeled Hopper cars, so they hung around for some pictures.

All three of the hoppers are now fully lettered for cars #1, #12, and# 18. This is the prettiest they will look as they leave the Johnson City shops to haul iron ore and coal and make some money for the railroad.

The actual shelf layout is still in the imagination phase. If you try real hard you can imagine the Linville Depot at the midsection of this shelf near the Historical Society fan.

More to come. Thanks for looking. Dr. Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dr. Tom.
Somehow I missed your previous post about the shelves.
Looks good.
So do the hopper cars.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  5:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the shelf idea.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  7:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea. Looking forward to more of this.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  9:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you fellas. Just got some "custom cut" foam board over at Lowes today. Love the nice straight edges.Will hopefully have these pieces of the puzzle in soon. Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  5:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue on Blue. More doings on the Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30.

One of the nice things about Styrofoam is that construction proceeds rapidly. Here the blue foam pieces of the puzzle are coming together for the Layout Design Element (LDE) that I am calling Linville station. This LDE is 11 feet long and 18 inches deep at the center and 2 feet deep at the ends. The station will set about where the ET and WNC Historical Society fan is located.

If you look at the track plan to the right it is the section that IAN RICE (layout designer) calls “Halfway".

Next up, will be attaching the Styrofoam pieces and strengthening them with L Channel aluminum……….lightweight and strong.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  6:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, you’re starting in the middle and working your way out. I like your approach to a light but sturdy foundation.

Mike

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  4:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

So, you’re starting in the middle and working your way out. I like your approach to a light but sturdy foundation.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did a full size mock up of the track plan at a local print shop.I will be sketching out track plans on the blue foam board soon. Tom

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, your layout approach is encouraging me to try a similar approach. Nicely done. ~mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  6:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by friscomike

Tom, your layout approach is encouraging me to try a similar approach. Nicely done. ~mike

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your kind remarks. More to come. Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks on a late summer vacation, so I thought I better wrap up the construction of the base of the shelf layout for the Blue Ridge Stemwinder. Time also to give you guys a break for a while from studying Blue Styrofoam.

When I was an HO modeler I learned the joys of L girder construction in making a strong support for my model RR empire. I found in my experimentation on the On30 mini layouts that the L girder construction using aluminum L girders could give the foam boards tremendous strength also.

What I do is attach them along the edges of the blue foam board using Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive for Projects. This is a strong adhesive that is compatible with Styrofoam. I temporarily screw the channels in place but have found that once the glue dries the screws can be removed and a strong bond has been achieved.

This layout design element ( LDE) that I am calling Linville Depot is 11 feet and a half inch long. Once all the channel is in place the entire LDE can be picked up and turned up on its side easily to allow access to the undersurface for wiring etc. It is then placed back on the wire shelving and snuggles right into place.

Now I have an expanse flat blue terrain to begin some modeling on.

One of the things I've always wanted to do was to blow up a neat track plan to full scale and use it to establish track lines and changes in topography. On this project I thought I would give a local printer the chance to blow up the Iain Rice’s track plan for the Linville LDE. The image is quite pixelated but I can readily see where the track lines are supposed to go. I also found that Iain’s track plan is 1 foot and a half inch shorter than the width of my Railroad room. You can see where I split the plan to allow for a longer mainline run.

So now the passenger cars have a place to show up at Linville Depot.

I'll be back at it in two or three weeks and hope to show some more progress.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  7:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very good ideas here.
Enjoy your vacation.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  8:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Some very good ideas here.
Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks RIck. Hope to come back refreshed and full of vim and vigor......or something like that. Doc Tom

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000