Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay
Page: of 3

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To build this little layout I have been researching the heck out of the ET&WNC RR. Heck, I even joined the ET&WNC RR Historical Society.....a very nice group.

At the end of May they had their annual convention in Johnson City Tennessee and I had a ball.

Here we are playing with ET&WNC lokie #12. She is 102 years old and guzzied up in Tweetsie RR livery.

https://youtu.be/H_xgCijWV0Q

The engineers let us take as many runbys and phot ops as we wanted with the theme park closed for the time we were there.

I have a model of number 12 ready to hit the iron when I get to building the layout.

doc Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  05:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, thanks for the video.
Looking forward to when you start the layout.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, the joys of Prototype model railroading.

I have completed three hopper cars to haul iron ore and coal on my planned On30 homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad. I will be modeling the era 1920 – 1924 when the railroad was quite profitable and had beautiful narrow gauge passenger cars.

So, I was doing research on what I thought the prototype Hopper cars looked like.

I picked up Johnny Graybeals nicely done decal sets for freight cars in O scale at the model railroad show in Johnson City Tennessee this summer. It was also nice meeting him in person. I proceeded to carefully apply decals to the first side of a hopper car. I thought I had done a nice rendition of Hopper car Number 28.

I read on further about these fine wooden hopper cars, that were felt to be the largest wooden hopper cars in narrow gauge railroading for their time. In an article in the 2018 HOn3 Annual written by Johnny Graybeal, and including photos from his collection, I hit the jackpot on prototype pictures of Hopper cars for the ET&WNC RR. In one of the pictures he mentioned that the lettering in use by the ET and WNC from the teens until 1936 had small stenciling for the road name instead of the stretch lettering that came into vogue after 1936.

So, it was back to the paint shop and my first attempt at an early 1920s Hopper car was repainted and relettered using Johnny's very good decal sheet. But at this time with much smaller lettering. The stenciling on the decal was a bit too wide and I had to remove the “&” to get it to fit. But, I felt it was a fairly good representation of Hopper car number 18 in 1920’s livery. I am not a rivet counter, but certainly want my rolling stock to be a good representation of what road the rails in the early 1920’s in the mountains of East Tennessee and western North Carolina.

Now I have two other cars to decal correctly with the correct prototype look for the early 1920's.

Thanks for looking. Dr. Tom

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Tom,

Just getting back to this thread again, and now I see a beautiful plan, new digs, and a great start. Hope to see some progress as you begin your journey. I will be following along moreso now.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

[quote]Originally posted by desertdrover

Fantastic thoughts and ideas Tom. Love that new train house, you can do a lot with that, and I'm looking forward to your progress. What size is that shed, I was unable to use the plan to figure out the shed size, I'm thinking 10' x 20' maybe.
Also, just a thought for you to consider, to have more usable layout space, if you change the shed doors to open out, instead of in, it will keep the inner space clear of a swing in type door in the way. Just my opinion here.

Thank you Louis for posting the layout plan from Ian Rice. Where did you find it ? It sure beats the "scanned copy" I did from the book with all my scratching and doodles.

The train shed is 12'X 24' and part of it is being shared with my wife Kit for her gardening equipment.

Good idea about reversing the opening of the doors so they swing outward.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Doc Tom

Hi Tom, glad I could offer you the suggestion for the doors. I believe you would be a lot happier with the swing out direction changed. As far as where I got the layout picture, not sure. It was in a folder I had of model railroad layouts, so its anybody's guess. Do copy it, and use it at will.
Fantastic job with your hopper cars, and decaling work. Research does pay off when it can be found.
Looking forward to your continued progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice project and great building to put the layout in.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  5:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for the positive feedback and notes. It is much appreciated.

Next effort on the hopper cars ,after they are all decaled, will be weathering with BRAGDON powders.
This'll be my first time to use this product and looking forward to trying something new.

Doc Tom

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  5:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom,

If you need help adapting Iain Rice's track plan to your space, send me a message. I would be happy to help.

Take care,
Rob.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hey Tom,

If you need help adapting Iain Rice's track plan to your space, send me a message. I would be happy to help.

Take care,
Rob.

Hi Rob. I think it will fit OK. I started work on the shelving for wall#1 tonight. So far so good. Pictures to come soon.

Have you built this layout? I have always liked Iain's track plans.

Dr T.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  07:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those hopper cars look great, Tom.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom,

I haven't built the layout, but I do have some experience translating Iain's plans, and sometimes the track arrangement need to be tweaked to fit properly using commercial turnouts.

Take care,
Rob.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  08:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great so far. Keep us posted on the adventure.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  10:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Tom,

I haven't built the layout, but I do have some experience translating Iain's plans, and sometimes the track arrangement need to be tweaked to fit properly using commercial turnouts.

Take care,
Rob.

Hi Rob. I have his book on shelf layouts and the article that ran with this layout used the Peco turnouts......I do like those.

Thinking about printing the layout "full size" at a local print shop when it is time to lay track.

I will appreciate your help and advice in the future.

Dr Tom

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  02:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only catching up to this thread now, but I love the look of what you are working towards. I'm sure it'll keep you busy for a while!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: ON30 Mid Hudson Meet Newburgh NY Topic Next Topic: How to remove the cab on the Bachmann Shay  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000