Railroad Line Forums - F Scale D&RGW 315 build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 F Scale D&RGW 315 build
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Repainting Bachmann Big Hauler cars Topic Next Topic: Repainting my LGB mogul  

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm back after 2 years of pain, ride on engine build and back surgery.Im starting with a undecorated Bachmann C-19. First was the boiler. I sanded and fill all the bands and holes then covered the boiler in a wrap of plastic and plastic bands. Don't mind the cab, It was from an extra boiler will use the correct metal one.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The domes where from a mix of Connie and C-19 to get the right size and height

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  5:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To make the extra long tender I used 2 Connie tenders sliced down the middle to cut the width and cut sides to add to the length

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 03/15/2019 5:27:42 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hum, part and parcel I'd say the tender is built.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/14/2019 5:41:05 PM

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, hope all is well.
Here is a picture of a C-19. You will notice the wheel configuration is slightly different than the C-18 below. Also the C-18 firebox is shorter. Instead of ending in the middle of the third driver it ends a little past the third. This is the hardest part of the conversion. I started last year when I wasn't feeling wheel so I forgot to take pics but what it amounted to was taking the complete frame and wheels apart, cutting out the front two journals making new frame pieces and remounting the journals back. This moves the motor forward so weights had to be trimmed. The firebox was cut back and a new front was put on.

You can see the rods had to be reconfigured also. The main drive rod connects on the third driver rather than the second on the C-19 so I used a Connie rod and swapped the second and third drivers. The rest of the rods where sliced and diced to align with the wheels. I even used the main rod from the C-19 to make up a piece. I also used a K-27 slide for the crosshead which meant I needed to make new crossheads. I sliced and diced the C-19 crossheads added some plastic and castings to simulate the real one.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 03/15/2019 5:28:43 PM

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
found a pic of the frame adding the springs back in and the suspension springs back on

nateizme
New Hire

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  6:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Great job! I just picked up an undecorated 2-8-0 to build the same locomotive. I hope you will be posting more updates!

Previous Topic: Repainting Bachmann Big Hauler cars Topic Next Topic: Repainting my LGB mogul  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000