Railroad Line Forums - HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brush painting with acrylic paint (Walthers Kits) Topic Next Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock  

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  01:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hate cutting acetate for windows in HO and have been using Canopy Glue for the window panes for a few weeks.

But I found I could not avoid having problems with the liquid settoling with the window facing down on wax paper or up on wax paper.

Wrinkling the wax paper helped--but not much.

So I cut two pieces of 1/8 inch basswood and glued them to a piece of cardstock with a gap of a little over 1/16 inch between them.

Now I put the canopy glue in the top half of the HO window, set it in this rack and let it dry.

3 hours later I do the bottom half and let it dry.

This simple to make tool really solves the problems I was having with Canopy Glue.

You will notice the traditional red label glue and the new green label glue. Both are the same, just new labeling.

I also experimented with the Microscale and Testors products which are designed to do the same thing.

The Testors bottle was useless. The water had separated from the emulsion. When I squeezed the bottle, lots of water came out and then the emulsion came out in a lumpy, useless mess.

The MicroScale product was way too thick to be of use to me.

But the Pacer Canopy Glues work great.

It may be that I got two defective bottles of the Testors and Microscale products, but as expensive as this stuff is I did not want to buy more bottles to try.

I have also started using the canopy glue as a "fast grabbing" white glue.

It is thicker than the Elmers I usually use, but it grabs quickly and is stronger.

A valuable tool.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  12:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info, Darryl. Thanks for sharing.

George

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darry, thanks for the suggestion. lI'll have to try, have some windows that are ready for glazing.
thanx
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
why didn't i think of that?? great tip. thanks much!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  11:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  11:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work'. Thanks for posting'..

Ted

Previous Topic: Brush painting with acrylic paint (Walthers Kits) Topic Next Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000