Railroad Line Forums - Monday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Monday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tuesday Lounge Topic Next Topic: Good COLD Sunday Morning Lounge is Open  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew from the Ice Bowl of N.E.Indiana. Slick and hazardous out there today. The coffee urn is READY with FrozenTurnout Blend today. The special is Smokie links with a pancake wrapper, or as Karl call them "Smokie links rolled up in a pancake". Oatmeal, and scrambled eggs on the sidelines. Walt's tea and Marks Decaf, Tom's Dr. Pepper, yada,yada.

I put the ice skates on last night and played around in the shop until about midnight. Going through some ancient artifacts. Found an unopened bottle of Testor's white enamel with $.15 on the bottle top.That has to worth $.16 on evilBay by now. The real find was an opened bottle of Floquil Red. Mmmmm.

Division meeting tonight may have to be postponed because of more incoming freezing rain.

Have a Super day!

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool morning in SE NH. Snow coming tomorrow afternoon, changing to "wintery mix" at some point. Western part of NH will get 12-18, don't know what we'll get close to the seacoast.

More work on my worker housing (City Classics kits.) I'm getting to the point where I can reliably produce a similar weathered wood look.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, Dave and the rest of the crew. It is 70 degrees and partly cloudy here in Lakewood Ranch, Fl. We are heading up to a high of 83.

We had a great time at the Tampa Zoo yesterday. Pretty much a 'lounge around the pool' day today. Between reading and working on some clinics, time will fly.

I see that there is a Winter Storm Advisory up for our area of Michigan. It looks like we have been missing a bit of that white stuff.

Jim, that Frozen Turnout Blend is quite good.

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

More work on my worker housing (City Classics kits.) I'm getting to the point where I can reliably produce a similar weathered wood look.

dave

Dave, I'd love to see a summary of how you are producing that weathered wood look. It is always a challenge for me.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. It's a chilly wet morning in Tidewater Virginia.

I'm heading back to the club fro what I hope is the final measurements for a building. It's going to cover a hole where the track goes into the backdrop. The angles of the mainline and adjacent tracks are making this a tricky but fun project.

Have a good day.
George

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow overnight has stopped, 21 degrees and ‘calm’ most of the day and then the big round of of crud starts around 7 pm and going all night into Tuesday easing by Wednesday it appears that we will be in the 6-8 inch of snow band and then late Tues it warms to near 40 and rains on it. Thurs/Fri has another bit of yet annudder mess maker. Fun in Michigan, and probably over in TomO’s cheesy country, too.

I’m off in a short to an ops session at Andy Keeney’s, Geezer Monday.

Everyone have a good day.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Jim and railmen thanks for breakfast and the Decaf I brought in some hazelnut decaf. It snowed about 2to3 inches last night then turned to rain what a slushy mess this morning it is 35 here in SE Ohio along the banks of the Ohio River. Still working on my wiring I can only do so much before my tremors get the best of me the more I do the worse they get !! I don't like to give up so I take It a day at a time

Have a great day
Mark
It's a great life if you Don't weaken

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow last night changed to rain/ice and continuing all day and through tomorrow, too. Perfect for home office and shop time, followed by more of the same, followed by recliner by the fireplace reading time.

Tone of stuff to build and more to write about....

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, happy morning to all the Crew. “It’s a mild day” in So. Wisconsin. Actually that’s a quote from the weather man a minute or 2 ago. We had a supposed 1-3” yesterday in the area, we maybe got the 1”. All it did was cover the ice I couldn’t get removed. Now starting at suppertime tonight or somewhere between 5 & 8pm depending on when you eat. 7 to 10” of white stuff over the 24 hours after it starts. I guess the hell with the ice!

I sent some pictures of my paper mill to Jim yesterday after the 1st set disappeared a day earlier into the cloud somewhere. DOES anyone know how to post pictures here using the IPadPro? Have a great day.

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  11:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, a quick summary:
1. Prime light/medium grey (that you see on the stone here)
2. Almost-drybrush (keep the paint thin) a coat of a light yellow (raw wood color) Make sure to work this color alongside the door frames.
3. Almost-drybrush a beigy brown color (the one I'm using is called "Mushroom") Also be sure this is worked into the edges and corners.
4. Drybrush with a thinned a light grey (if you want more raw wood, substitute a light yellowish-brown)
5. Lightly drybrush with a thinned darker brown

The key thing is to always move the brush along the direction of the grain (after you've pushed paint into the corners.) Here I've gone back and painted the lower window and door frames with the "Mushroom" color from step 2. This gives some contrast while retaining the 'weathered wood'. (You can see that compared to the upper window frames, not done yet.)

You can experiment with different colors, of course, depending on what you're trying to achieve. For me, this gives a good "wood that's been outside for 5 years" kind of look.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 02/11/2019 11:12:03 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  11:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Dave. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  1:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, Dave. I've copied it into a Word File.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  4:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon, All!

Greetings from the Center of the Bullseye for Tonight's White Gifts Festivities! Very dark grey right now in the northern mitten, temps in the high twenties, and I need to keep reminding myself that three miles from here it's severe clear and sunny.... Straight up, that is....

Dave has a great technique there, and yes, indeed, it works well. Remember, though, that Dave is modeling the 1890s (little voices telling him to and all that), and back then paints, when they were used at all, were generally mixed on-site by a master painter using what he could source locally, so the "quality" of the finish varied. That said, they were proud of their workmanship and their craft, so they did their best. How long things lasted may have been another matter entirely. In other words, have a ball, and enjoy your results!

Pete
in Michigan

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back from ops, good time was had by all

quote:
DOES anyone know how to post pictures here using the IPadPro? Have a great day.

Multiple failures here to accomplish that.

I can load my pix to photobucket from the iPad Pro but can not copy/paste the links. Any pix I have pasted have been, upload with the ipadpro then go in the other room, fire up the old PC with Win7 and go into photobucket, copy the direct link, go to RR-L, open destination and then paste the link there, adding my [ img ] [/ img ], without spaces. 99% of my recent photos are saved up in the apple tree....iCloud, as I take them with the phone.

Then I go have some Smokie links rolled up in pancakes....with a side of fake sweetener based chemo-syrup on the side.

I now have to go clear off the snow, so tonight’s snow has a clean start.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Previous Topic: Tuesday Lounge Topic Next Topic: Good COLD Sunday Morning Lounge is Open  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000