Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: Scrocci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 4

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  7:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting another new structure for the addition:

The Gas Station at shady grove. it's pretty small, only about 2 X 3" including the canopy. I was originally going to change the station's name but then I found that Texaco was in Canada so I guess I can keep it.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  7:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I started with assembling a few parts for painting as assemblies. Like the foundation and the two pillars that form the canopy supports.

I sprayed almost everything with a light gray primer, then the walls and canopy parts were airbrushed in Reefer White. The two canopy pillars are made of 4 interlocking parts each. They needed a bit of cleanup before they went together properly.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  8:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
J L Innovations has lots of detail pieces with Texaco on them. Also in tbe marketplace are several Texaco tankers, flatbeds and towtrucks out there to complete the scene

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  9:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen. Looking forward to your build. One of my favorite Gas Station kits.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great start Glen...Looking forward to the build.

Bob

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, nice to see you starting another one!

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  1:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always enjoy following along with your builds. Looks like another on its way.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  3:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

One of those kits Iíd like to build. If I do some day, Iíll know to come here for pointers.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  7:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soundtrack for the build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MhHhKOjqiE

I look forward to seeing this one. I've been thinking about doing one myself.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  08:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I've been looking for a Texaco truck of some kind. Not sure If I'll just buy one or make one.

I built up the main walls

I didn't like how the reefer white turned out so I gave all the walls a quick re-spray with white primer. it seemed to cover a bit better. I used 'wedgewood green' on the doorframes and corner posts. the windows are all peel and stick construction but I used some glue on the frame themselves for extra insurance.

before I assemble the walls I'm going to add some signage since the structure is so small and delicate when completed.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Nice little building project. You got me to check out Bar Mills site to see what's available.

I'll be checking in on the progress of the build.

Bernd

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Glen.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  5:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen. Looking good so far.
Re the truck. CMW Mini Metals make a fuel truck, and a stake bed truck and also a salesman car all for Texaco.
And there are probably other manufacturers ones too.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enAU824AU824&tbm=isch&q=Mini+Metals+texaco&chips=q:mini+metals+texaco,online_chips:classic+metal,online_chips:stake+bed&usg=AI4_-kTdO8e-XgixUL5wf-zw9dFzX_q6Xg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBmt3g2dzfAhXQMt4KHXY-B5YQ4lYILygI&biw=1680&bih=939&dpr=1

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  6:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Iíve rarely found reefer white to be very good for structures. Itís just too white or something and it doesnít go on very smoothly. Looks like youíve had a similar experience.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  8:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Apple Barrel Antique Parchment to be a reasonable substitute for white or at least mixed with white.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  5:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some good progress over the past few days.

I added the signs to the walls and the canopy. I would have rather the larger signs have been dry transfers instead of the paper but they turned out okay.

And I also built up the pillars for the canopy. There is a basic box that I built up and painted, then there are colored overlays added.

With that all done I can start the main assembly.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000