Railroad Line Forums - Broadway Limited 2-8-0 in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Broadway Limited 2-8-0 in On30
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR Topic Next Topic: Any Alternative ON30 Locos other than Bacmann??  

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  2:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering How the Broadway Limited c-16 On30 2-8-0 with sound is as how they run and the Quality??

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  3:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Craig-

I have 3 of them. Each one has similar qualities and issues. The detailing is average but passable. The sound is good. The problem with all three of them is a higher than average voltage to get them started from a dead stop.
With speed steps set to 28 it takes about a 5 or 6 on the controller to get them moving. Once moving I can dial the speed back to about a 2 and still have good control. Each engine has been back to BLI to get the starting voltage
lowered but there not much improvement. I also had my local shop (Engine House Services of Green Bay) work on them. They did more improvement in the start speed and I've learned to give them the extra oomph to get them moving and quickly dial back the speed to 3 or 4 and no one has commented on the speed. Performance does get better when they have been running for 20 minutes or so.

They are not very tolerant of poorly laid track.

They are good pullers and out pull my Bachmann 2-8-0's.

There you have it from my point of view.

Mark B.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  7:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark

Neil F
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig
On our layout we have 3, mine is the oldest, a Santa special (red and green) I have rebuilt it a bit (now black with new pipework) it runs very well. The sound is poor now compared to newer chips (the whistle gets annoying after a while) and also you can improve the running with newer chips. I have just fitted a Tsunami 2 with keep alive. I have programmed it using JMRI and now runs a lot better.
One of the others has had springing problems, and has had new softer springs at the front and middle this was to stop derailing on bends. The other unit hasn't run much but didn't fall off like the other unit it has had new pipework installed.
You may have to change the front pilot as the coupler is a dummy.

Overall a good loco when detailed its very hard to tell its a plastic loco.

Neil F in Stockport

http://sites.google.com/site/purgatorypeakmodelrailroad/home

Previous Topic: The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR Topic Next Topic: Any Alternative ON30 Locos other than Bacmann??  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000