Railroad Line Forums - Engine Service Facility Module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Engine Service Facility Module
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: FSM Super Sawmill Topic Next Topic: Noisy Bachmann 70 Ton Switcher
Page: of 8

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  5:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of those Saturdays (12-22-18) were I'd like to do some modeling but just couldn't get inspired to work on anything. After spending the morning changing a tire on the sister-in-laws car and then going X-mas shopping with the wife, we came home and had lunch. Not having checked the forums I headed to the basement and did my daily routine of surfing the forums I'm on plus aggravate a few Liberals on FaceBook. I turned to see what would get steam up in my boiler.

I started the fire with opening this buy from Evil Bay.

After having a conversation with Pennman (Rich) about painting models and that I had learned from you guys here on the forum that one paints the parts first I had to have another go at this model. You'll see why in some of the following photo's.

After looking through the kit to make sure everything was there I decided I needed to get out my 12" X 24.5" engine fueling facility module.

The concept behind the module is that is serves both HO and HOn3 engines and narrow gauge would fill the 100 ton coaling tower by Alexander Scale Models coaling station. I started this module over 20 years ago when I lived in a mobile home. The amazing thing is that the models sustained very little damage over those years.

The square water tank is also an Alexander Scale Models. The yard office was scratch built. The shingles on it are cigar cedar wrap. Each shingle was cut individually and glued on.

The sand bin, sand drying house and two sanding towers are all scratch build. The sand bin, drying house and sand tower are copied from Campbell Scale Models plans. I do have the original kit. The shingles are cigar cedar wrap.

This is the only damage the coaling station sustained in over 20 years and of course it's not completed as is much of the diorama.

The stairs are scratch built. I didn't like the casting that came with the kit. I used a fixture I made up to do the stairs. The had railing is 1" X 2" scale lumber.

The dumping pit on the narrow gauge line. I cut out the Homasote, lined it with styrene and added copper wire breaker bars.

A couple of scratch built flat cars. I believe the plans were in Model Railroad Craftsman back in the late 70's or 80's. Doug Leffler did the construction article.

Two log cars. I don't remember the name of the kit manufacturer. The one on the left has "Central Valley" HOn3 actual sprung trucks. The one on the right has brass trucks from an un-known manufacturer. I think I have two more log car kits hiding in a cabinet some where.

I thought this might be interesting to see some of my modeling from many years ago. Notice I didn't use brass anywhere except on the HOn3 log car trucks? Has it inspired me to do some modeling at this point? No, not really. I don't want to start another project and have it sit for many years. I guess I wasn't watching that fire in the boiler and never built up enough steam to get going. Let's see what Sunday brings.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  5:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick update on those log cars. The company that produced the kit is/was Scotia Scale Models in New Brunswick, Canada. The car represents a 30' standard gauge Russell log car. Mmmm......... they look and work pretty good in 3 foot narrow gauge too!

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
20 years Bernd. It is time you got back to work on this little gem of a module.

Frank

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  8:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have the makings of a nice module, Bernd. Painting the coaling tower, now that it's been assembled, will be a challenge.

George

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  9:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the bin would need to be closer to the dual gauge track to service the locos. Coal could auger from the pit to the tower to put the chutes in reach of the track.

Dave

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  11:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking start to a fantastic looking diorama setup, if not used on a layout, it sure would make a great conversation diorama. I'd like to see progress on what you have started many years ago Bernd. Also, I sure miss those cigar cedar wraps that were once easy to obtain for "0" dollars, that made into excellent modeling shingles.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  06:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I'm astonished that you started this diorama twenty years ago too! It has the makings of a fine stand-alone piece, like Frank mentioned.

In your above statement, regarding painting structures before assembly, that is not always true, especially for me. One example of that is your small train shed, with what looks like stain/weathering powders? If I want to stain/paint to make the look wrap-around from front to corner and beyond, I would stain/ paint after assembly, to have the color flow from one side to the adjoining side. As in the look of your building. on the other hand, the coaling tower is another story. Like George mentioned, it would be difficult to stain/paint, especially after the stairs are glued to the building. Also, in a challenge that you were doing building the station structure, I think last year, I thought you had mentioned that you hadn't built many wood structures. From the ones seen here, you are good at it. And I must say, your workbench is mighty clean. I will continue to watch this unfold.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

You have a golden oldie there, certainly worth the effort to complete. I’m interested in watching the scene develop.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

20 years Bernd. It is time you got back to work on this little gem of a module.

Frank,

Well, lets see if I can juggle this project with the quarry line project and the TT scale engine terminal project. I started getting some plans together to draw up a "John Allen" type two stall engine house. To many projects started none finished.

Lets see what will happen.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

You have the makings of a nice module, Bernd. Painting the coaling tower, now that it's been assembled, will be a challenge.

George

George,

Thanks George. I've been thinking of giving it a spray paint job. It should get into all the nooks and crannies. We'll see.

Bernd

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good,Bernd. Alexander Models at one time was in Grand Rapids, MI. Recently while at the Hobby Recycling shop on the W side of Grand Rapids I saw one of those coaling tower kits and it had a note on it that the tower was based on one that had been in the NYC facility in GR back in ‘the day’. FWIW.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Looks like the bin would need to be closer to the dual gauge track to service the locos. Coal could auger from the pit to the tower to put the chutes in reach of the track.

Dave

Dave,

The bin is not glued down yet. It will be positioned correctly once I'm ready to permanently mount it to the module. I still need to add the auger portion of it.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Great looking start to a fantastic looking diorama setup, if not used on a layout, it sure would make a great conversation diorama. I'd like to see progress on what you have started many years ago Bernd. Also, I sure miss those cigar cedar wraps that were once easy to obtain for "0" dollars, that made into excellent modeling shingles.

Louis,

Thank you very much for the kind words. Originally living a mobile home and not being able to build a layout I had turned to building models for a short time. I think progress may happen now that you guys know about it. You guys will probably give me a kick in the rear if you don't see some progress made on this project.

I think you still can get cedar wrap at wood working stores or their catalogs. I checked and the Woodcraft Store sells a cedar wood for marquetry, inlay repair, and accents on furniture. They didn't say how thick it was though. It's a place to try if you still want to use that wood.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Bernd,

I'm astonished that you started this diorama twenty years ago too! It has the makings of a fine stand-alone piece, like Frank mentioned.

In your above statement, regarding painting structures before assembly, that is not always true, especially for me. One example of that is your small train shed, with what looks like stain/weathering powders? If I want to stain/paint to make the look wrap-around from front to corner and beyond, I would stain/ paint after assembly, to have the color flow from one side to the adjoining side. As in the look of your building. on the other hand, the coaling tower is another story. Like George mentioned, it would be difficult to stain/paint, especially after the stairs are glued to the building. Also, in a challenge that you were doing building the station structure, I think last year, I thought you had mentioned that you hadn't built many wood structures. From the ones seen here, you are good at it. And I must say, your workbench is mighty clean. I will continue to watch this unfold.

Rich

Rich,

There's lots I haven't told you.

The sand shed and the tool/crew/yard shed was assembled and then painted with Floquil paint. The stains around the bottom are thinned Floquil paint. The drying sand shed is the same deal. I had not yet heard of using powders for staining. The water tank was also sprayed with Floquil black. The Campbell look a like sand tower was brush painted with thinned Floquild brown. So that's the extent of painting the buildings. All were assembled before painting.

As I said in a previous post I'll give the coal station a coat of brownish/black paint. I would assume that creosoted wood would be used in a building like this or did they actually give it their RR paint scheme?

So I told a little white lie about assembling buildings. I just haven't done as many as you or as detailed. So I guess this proofs I can build kits and scratch build. Now that I've let the cat out of the bag so to speak I'll have to produce or the wrath of the forum members will rain down on me.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

You have a golden oldie there, certainly worth the effort to complete. I’m interested in watching the scene develop.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks. I don't know about golden, but oldie for sure. I guess now I'll have to complete the module.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

That looks good,Bernd. Alexander Models at one time was in Grand Rapids, MI. Recently while at the Hobby Recycling shop on the W side of Grand Rapids I saw one of those coaling tower kits and it had a note on it that the tower was based on one that had been in the NYC facility in GR back in ‘the day’. FWIW.

Thanks Karl.

Yes, that's where Alexander Models was located. According to the instruction sheet it was built for the Michigan Central in 1918 and was designed by the Fairbanks Morse & Co. of Chicago. The kit's original price was $7.50. still a bargain at twenty some bucks, plus I get to do it right this time. Stain first assemble and then weather.

Bernd

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: FSM Super Sawmill Topic Next Topic: Noisy Bachmann 70 Ton Switcher  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000