Railroad Line Forums - Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 160 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  7:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Great looking set of cars.

George

Thanks a lot George. Its been a fun build.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  7:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 in 1 Roundhouse Fire Fighting Train Project:

Part #5:(and last piece of equipment being built) of the 3 in 1 Roundhouse Fire Fighting Train project.
Back on page #10 Bernd and Greg (Ensign), suggested I make-up a locomotive for the firefighting equipment motive power. So I had an Alco RS-2 from AHM on the shelf that I never had a use for, and after their suggestion, I thought Iíd never use that engine anywhere else so what better way to get use from it. In actuality Railroads would not have a dedicated locomotive sitting around, waiting for a fire. But hey, this is model railroading.
First order of business are pictures of the RS-2 being used, and a picture of the truck bottom before removing it from the locomotive, along with the Kadee Coupler Conversion instruction next to it, that will be needed to get rid of the horn hook couplers, and apply Kadee #148 couplers to the trucks.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  8:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

How about some hot-rod style flames on your RS-2?

Seriously, your fire train looks really nice. You used a very rich shade of red that I particularly like.

Mike

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

How about some hot-rod style flames on your RS-2?

Seriously, your fire train looks really nice. You used a very rich shade of red that I particularly like.

Mike

Thanks Mike. This was an inexpensive project, a really inexpensive spray paint can from Walmart. 10 Oz spray can of Fire Red #259866. Did the whole project and still have plenty left over. Also, used Delta Ceramcoat Barn Red #24902 as the other red color for the project. Walmart Flat Black #259863 10 Oz spray paint used on underframes.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 02/01/2019 2:09:51 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  09:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After attempting yesterday evening to use the Kadee conversion instructions for the RS-2, the height of the coupler was too low, even with using an underset coupler, the height still didnít match up with the NMRA height standard, or my Kadee #205 Height Gauge. So I decided to mount a Kadee cut-down #242 draft gear box, and cut-down box lid, glued on top of the RS-2 truck frame lip as seen in the following pictures. Iíll let the pictures speak for themselves of the process.
The last picture shows the Kadee #148 coupler in place, gear box lid screwed on with 2-56 x 1/8Ē screw. Also, RS-2 truck with box and coupler up against the Kadee #205 Height Gauge.

Louis

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

With regards to your excellent build of the fire train, I guess I'm a little late in congratulating you on your build thus far. Having spent the last few days on my own project, and now seeing this, I highly commend you for your time and effort in the continued build and tutorial presentations. Keep on training.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  12:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Louis,

With regards to your excellent build of the fire train, I guess I'm a little late in congratulating you on your build thus far. Having spent the last few days on my own project, and now seeing this, I highly commend you for your time and effort in the continued build and tutorial presentations. Keep on training.

Rich

Thank you Rich for still finding the time to checkout my progress, and post your comments.
You also are doing a great job with your structure on the "2019 Tribute Challenge". A lot of good projects are going on over there. If it wasn't for me being involved with this project already started, I would of been doing something on that thread as well. Like you I tend to just build, and not make mark-ups first. The good thing about mark-ups is those guys know what to expect. We tend to work in the blind and at times stumble through the build.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  8:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RS-2 locomotive has been broken down, windshield removed, headlights taken out, horn popped out, platform and body shell separated and ready for stripping. Iíll be using a Chameleon brand liquid plastic hobby stripper. This was a good stripping agent for our plastic train shells, but like everything else that works well, they stop being sold, or available any longer. Usually 20 minutes in the liquid, and a scrubbing with an old toothbrush is all thatís needed to strip the shell clean, and ready for painting.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  9:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here just over a half hour in the stripper bath and a scrubbing, a nearly new RS-2 plastic shell is ready for primer painting. A little longer in the liquid, and a bit more brushing, would have removed all hits of the green paint. But, where Iím planning on priming, and then painting the color on, it is cleaned enough at this point. Now for the paint shop priming. That will be a tomorrow project.

Louis

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good from here Louis!

That discontinued Chameleon paint stripper.....are the ingredients listed on the bottle?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Looks good from here Louis!

That discontinued Chameleon paint stripper.....are the ingredients listed on the bottle?

Hi Carl, it says on the bottle it contains: "Glycol Ethers and Alcohol".
If you smell it, it has a strong alcohol smell to it. I'd say 91% Alcohol would do the same stripping job as this Chameleon product. I don't know what Glycol Ethers are.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This mornings update; The RS-2 body shell, and the locomotive frame have been primed, once dry the body shell will be painted the Fire Red color, and the locomotive frame will be painted Barn Red color. Black color will be used for the trucks and locomotive frame undercarriage.

Louis

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Louis, not a bad looking model. Rivet counters would be breaking the teeth off of their fine toothed combs, but by gosh it sure looks like an Alco RS-2 to me.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, your really quite proficient at this paint stripping & repainting of rolling stock & motive power.
Looking forward to seeing the completed fire fighting train!
Perhaps parked along side of your burnt out engine house.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Looking good, Louis, not a bad looking model. Rivet counters would be breaking the teeth off of their fine toothed combs, but by gosh it sure looks like an Alco RS-2 to me.

Thanks Karl. For a cheapo AHM RS-2, it doesn't look bad. I know it is good enough for this fire fighting train. Otherwise it would still be on the back shelf doing nothing.

Louis

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000