Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Wednesday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday lounge 11292018 Topic Next Topic: Tuesday  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew, lurkers, and guests from very cold N.E. Indiana today. The coffee urn is READY with Railbender blend. Special is Pancakes and smokie links. There are some 'Cuties' in a basket over at the fruit bar. Enjoy.

I spent yesterday afternoon at a basement layout of one of the Forum members. We had a great time working on some turnouts, and looking over his 'in-progress' layout. Too many industries and large structures are making it difficult to fit a residential area on the layout. To me, an example of too much railroad. Same problem I put into my layout 40 years ago. All railroad, no people jumped right out at me. What do you think about that?

Have a Super day!

Jim

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In Rochester NY,along the North Coast, it's 31* and a light over night snow. No shoveling required. Grabbing a quick oatmeal an cup of tea.

The photos of layouts that capture my attention always have people in them. They bring alive the story of the scene. The recent Santos car lot thread is a good example. The scene would be dead in more ways than one without them.

Dave

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/28/2018 07:03:08 AM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  07:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and Crew. 16 f degrees here but later it will venture into the high 20ís. No wind at this time which is a big difference from the last couple of days.

Dentist later today. Last night we saw Mannheim Steamroller, good time, great music. We also enjoyed the movie Widows in the afternoon. Our daughter says we are getting too predictable as we age, Tuesday movies, the Overture Center and dinner out. Told her she can do what she wants when sheís retired. I still canít drive for a few weeks not even an ATV, no knifes or implements of distraction either. Running trains so I put in my lift out section back in so I have a continuous run, boy that gets old quick.

Enjoy the day
Tom

potsy
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  07:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Jim Dave and incoming crew I have the same problem with my Layout jumped back into the hobby after years out of it picked one out of the MR magazine only to find out it was done by one of the staff and had no direction after starting it I don't really care for it. I don't Have the money or the resources to start over. trying to figure out a way to complete it to my liking tough job. By the way good breakfast Jim It is 24 and light snow on the ground here in SE Ohio

have a warm day

Mark

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  07:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, Dave, Tom and the rest of the RR-L Crew this FROZEN November morning. Just a English muffin and tea for now. Coffee and Vootman Wafers later.

Well, went down to the Advanced Wound Center yesterday and had my arm treated. I have to go back every week for a while to make sure new skin grows and it doesn't get infected. Always something to do.

Figured out the issues with my 3D printers. It might sound a bit complicated but it's rather simple really. The company insisted it was an optical path issue and there needed to be cleaning done to fix the failed print problem. I didn't buy that as it was happening exactly the same on two machines. I looked to the resin trays, both new. The trays have a clear bottom with a layer of MDMS or what is like a thick gel on it. This gel must stay adhered to the clear plastic bottom to keep everything in focus. I concluded that it had pulled loose in the center of these NEW trays.
So, I found an older tray, cleaned it up and added the filtered resin from the previous tray and didn't do any cleaning at all of the optics. Sure enough, the jobs ran perfectly as they should. Now to get the manufacture to replace the trays.

Oh this is sooooo much fun. And I'm also working with a consultant in the UK on totally redoing the RSSM website. That's a lot of fun too.

Everyone have a Fun and Safe day in the Train Yard.

Walt

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. It is 27 degrees and cloudy here in S.E. Michigan .

We had a great visit with my old assistant yesterday. Their son and his wife, who live in Ann Arbor, just had their first baby. Now the proud grand parents are thinking of moving from Jersey to Michigan to get closer to their only child and grand child.

Today Chrysler is announcing the new Jeep pickup truck based on the Wrangler frame. I've been waiting for this since our son first told us about it almost two years ago. We might head over to a Jeep dealer to see what info they have. It is about time to trade in my 2006 Ram 3500 for something newer. The new Jeep truck will have a diesel option.

Have a great day!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, "good deed" done for today. Wife volunteered my pickup to move some food donations. I had to make 2 trips.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  09:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
26 and quiet in my little slice of Michigan. No new snow and none forecast unless the lake Ďbreezeí pushes some this way.

Anticipation is high on that. new Jeep truck, Bruce. With your connections I;m sure you can find something you like.

Poking along on the layout, no big tings to talk about. Jim, I get your take on the layout. Not sure if your objecting to itís all Ďindustrialí and no residential areas, or that there are no LPPs in the scenes. Is the operation set up for running ops sessions or just a railroad in the basement? Iím sure itís a hard act to balance ops with scenic elements.

Off to the post office shortly. Then a couple errands with the Doll. My truck is still snow covered and her SUV has heated seats.....

Good day all.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  09:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew I hope itís not to late for a cup of that Railbender coffee. Yesterday Lucy and my daughter Lisa set up at a show for last night well really cold weather and snow was too much for the people to take. So now we have to put everything away tell next year. I am pushing her to sell on Etsy lot better off. Today iím Hoping to get down the basement for awhile. See you later Tom

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  10:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone-
Tom- Manheim is great. One of their sound/light engineers(Dave C.) is an N scaler. He always told me to let him know when MS was coming to our town and he would furnish tickets for my wife and me. About 4 years ago they were scheduled just before Thanksgiving so I gave him a call. He said he would arrange for 2 tickets. Went to "will call" window at the theater for pick up. Ticket seller said you have 2 "good ones"
2 tickets center stage about 15 rows from stage. Unfortunately he was not there as he was working on the MS Macy Thanksgiving Day parade. Apparently MS has two groups that tour so they can cover more cities during busier times.

Also going to look at a gently used 2017 Silverado. Wife's 2002 Suburban has a failing rear differential and 215K on the clock. Time to go shopping. Hopefully time for the basement later today and tonight. Doing housekeeping and tossing "valuable junk" I came across an original bottle of Floquil Driftwood about 1/4 full. Pigment had settled but there was about a 1/2 tsp of "mud" in the bottom. Refilled bottle with DioSol and shook it up. It turned out just like new. I now have a full bottle of Floquil Driftwood. Life is indeed good.

Thanks for breakfast and on the road in a bit.

Mark B

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  10:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark B

Good morning everyone-
Tom- Unfortunately he was not there as he was working on the MS Macy Thanksgiving Day parade. Apparently MS has two groups that tour so they can cover more cities during busier times.

Also going to look at a gently used 2017 Silverado. Wife's 2002 Suburban has a failing rear differential and 215K on the clock. Time to go shopping.
Mark B

Mark good to see you posting again the last couple of days. Mannheim was great. Yep, they have 2 touring groups right now. Red and Green. We had the Red tour and they were very enjoyable. We used to love the Grand Theater in Wausau. The Overture Center just blows that away but itís also in a city 5 times as large. Have fun vehicle shopping, I think that is the among the worst experiences of my life, I hate, just hate purchasing vehicles. Enjoy yours

Tom

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom-
Yep the Grand Theater and they do put on a great show. They also gave us a back stage tour and got to meet a few of the musicians in the bus.

Found a truck. 2017 Silverado with 21k on the clock. Went to Antigo (small town about 35 miles from my house for those that have never heard of Antigo WI). One local couple owned it, lots of bells and whistles, about 5 to 6 grand less than any of our local bandits want for much higher mileage trucks, and they extended the warranty to 48K/4 years-bumper to bumper and power train to 5 years and 100k miles. And they'll take the old "burb" in trade.
Value depends on how much gas is in the tank but at least it's out of my yard. it went from being an experience that I was not looking forward to, to an almost pleasant one.

Back to the basement

Mark B

Previous Topic: Thursday lounge 11292018 Topic Next Topic: Tuesday  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000