Railroad Line Forums - On building MoW cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 138 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 On building MoW cars
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast
Page: of 6

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The other part of that 'not-fun' is my track was marginal at best, and over the winter it developed lots of kinks. I do not have the patience to rip it out and redo it! Hopefully it'll be good enough to get trains to run, but I might end up with a very large diorama!

Getting control over your local climate might help on that front. My layout is in the far back room furthest underground where the temp is pretty constant and humidity in my basement is surprisingly low.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Martin,

I certainly like the look of your fire car. The CVRR has a very talented car shop.

Thanks. I think that the car shop is at times totally out of control and has no restraint whatsoever. However, some of these do depart for other RR's and so bring in a bit of much needed funding,

quote:
Your newest car is intriguing.

Yes, even to me! The base frame was out of a project box with a bit of sketch included and when I measured it, the width was a bit narrow so I'm using one of my reconstituted traction roof sections to match up with floor. Every step forward is another adventure particularly when I'm not altogether sure where I'm going!

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  4:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

Every step forward is another adventure particularly when I'm not altogether sure where I'm going!

Just donít step on the third rail.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/22/2019 4:10:14 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

Every step forward is another adventure particularly when I'm not altogether sure where I'm going!

Just donít step on the third rail.

Indeed. That might be filed in that category we technically term, "Bad".

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cold weather is a modeler's best friend - stay inside and get stuff done!

Basically assembled, doors scratched together, ends inserted, and roof bits added. Underbody started.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  12:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start, Martin. If cold weather drives your modeling, you ought to get a lot done this next week.

George

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Nice start, Martin. If cold weather drives your modeling, you ought to get a lot done this next week.

I'll be squeezing modeling in between carrying firewood in from out back.

Books to read, journal to edit, magazine to edit.....models to build. Think I'm pretty set.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress made!

Sides and ends pretty well done and some roof details added.

[

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving right along, Martin. Cold weather is your best friend.

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered some additional grabirons on the outside of the stirrup steps? Looking at that, it would be a real pain to climb up there, particularly if the car was moving.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  12:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you considered some additional grabirons on the outside of the stirrup steps? Looking at that, it would be a real pain to climb up there, particularly if the car was moving.

There are grabs on the side outside of the stirrup steps; grabs on the ends are not there yet. End railing also is there.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  1:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, now that you point them out, I see them. OSHA would be happier :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  3:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, now that you point them out, I see them. OSHA would be happier :-)

OSHA wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye back in the period that I'm modeling,

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few details added and the underbody bits, too.

Final details to add, lift the trussrods up onto the queen posts, snip here, tuck there, add the roofing, and then off to the paint shop....

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weirdly enough, I posted these photos this morning and now they are gone along with the reply that was made...

Well, in any case fast forward and done!

On to the next project box!

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000