Railroad Line Forums - Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments?
Page: of 7

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, too cool. Love the scenes. And yup, that horse n' buggy in the distance is indeed cool!

I'm thinking about hitting the Ozarks tomorrow for an outing. Maybe get some inspirational pictures as they present themselves.

Similar to what John Denver sang: "Thank God I'm a mountain boy!" (Hillbilly!)

Andre

brian budeit
New Hire

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A major benefit of modeling an area close to home is being able to visit the site to be modeled. To me nothing helps get you oriented like taking a RR book, seeking out the areas, and comparing scenes, as Ryan has done. My main reason for modeling the EBT and the Tuscarora Valley. Both are a day trip, granted, a long day. Sometimes you find something totally unexpected. On a recent visit to Ligonier, I found an old machine shop building from the Ligonier Valley, still standing, in use as a home. Knew about the station and engine house turned church, but not the machine shop.
brian b

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Engine house turned church" - ooh! Tell us more! Photos?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

brian budeit
New Hire

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No photos handy, but if you look up Ligonier Valley Railroad or historical society, there is an on line newsletter that had some nice pictures.
Its not a little two stall wooden house, as most short lines bring to mind. It was a large brick industrial looking building. When the railroad closed down in the early 50's, the building was sold, stripped to the steel frame in places, and rebuilt as a large church and school. Looking at it you would never know, it looks like a late 50's era school building.
There is a storage area in the building with tracks still in the floor, and filled and concreted inspection pits. Supposedly, during rebuilding, anything not wanted was thrown in the pits as fill, and concreted over. Interesting to think what artifacts could be in there.
If you like enginehouses converted to churches, here in Pittsburgh, in the neighborhood of Ingram, is a large church converted from a streetcar barn, again in the 1950's. If you weren't told, you would never know.

brian b

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  2:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this: http://www.lvrra.org/liggies/liggie_sep_2012.pdf Thanks, that's a fascinating story of reuse.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

brian budeit
New Hire

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  2:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

that's exactly the article I was thinking of, good sleuthing on your part.
The Ligonier was a neat short line. Originally 3' gauge, it even had a steam powered rail car for passenger service. Built with the backing of the Mellons, the money influence shows in surviving stations, especially the impressive building in Ligonier. Never dieselized, it closed out service in early 50's in steam. Decent amount of buildings survive, and line is short enough to make an easy one day tour. If you want to go to Idlewild Park, the original narrow gauge station is now in the park.
brian b

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  12:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't this place great? The engine house turned church isn't something I ever would have stumbled upon. Very cool. And while looking around the interwebs, it looks like there were a lot of neat narrow gauge and short line railroads in the area. I'd bet that when most people hear "Pittsburgh" and "railroad", they aren't thinking inclines or nifty interurban common carriers in steam!

R

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting in on the Tuscarora Valley book... what a neat prototype! The book is well done and gives a human touch to the history, which I find appropriate for these narrow gauge and short line roads.

Also picked up a great book on the Susquehanna & New York. Man... there were so many cool little railroads in central Pennsylvania in the first quarter of the 20th century. Really wonderful inspiration for small, achievable layouts. I have about another good half-dozen small scenes with high operational interest to add to the list.

Sonestown... Sonestown is turning into a magnificent layout design. Oh! to have the space available to build it some day.....

R

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  10:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... there were so many cool little railroads in central Pennsylvania in the first quarter of the 20th century.

True dat.

I love how Noplace now was Someplace back then.

I even like to go back further than the first quarter of the 20th century... back toward a road's inception and boom that followed.

LOTS of neat elements and inspiration can be found within the eras that TOC19 spans.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I picked up a copy of the Tuscarora Valley book twenty years ago from the author at the narrow gauge convention in Valley Forge. I enjoy leafing through it and looking at the photos for inspiration. I also like reading the authorís article on his own layout some years back in RMC.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always something to learn. I like this hobby because books are still relevant, even as we spend so much time online.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't take my PC to the Throne Room with me like I can a book.

Andre

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ryan,

Just found your thread again ... any updates or progress on this?

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000