Railroad Line Forums - Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 5

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement. Im working out a few other trackage options. Really wish I knew what the mystery building was...

kebmo - anything jump out at ya? I saw on your other thread that you’re going to start something in On30. Some of these track plans would be great fun in a larger scale.

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photos of the WD&L Climaxes are spurring an interest in building an HOn3 25-ton locomotive. Or three. All of the railroads I’d like to model seem to have run Climaxes in the 25- to 35-ton range. WD&L No.1 has a diamond stack with spark arrestor in all but one photo... yet it really looks like there is coal in the bunker in some of them. A later photo of No.1 at Carroll shows a straight stack. Trying to decide whether a simple coaling platform or a wood stockpile would be more appropriate at the locomotive siding at Loganton...

I gotta see if I can find dimensions on some of the brass models that were made (or the Bachmann) to see if any would be a good basis to start on a Climax of this size. I have a good scale drawing of an 1897 25-ton, 3’ gauge Climax.

This stuff is endlessly fascinating.

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I had a few minutes to stop by Sonestown on my way home from the cabin. The depot is still there. The area shown in the period photos is much more compressed than the Taber map and those photos would have you believe. Interesting stuff. These were taken where the little lane running from the station crossed the tracks at the clothespin factory and crosses the creek.

The old W&NB mainline is visible on the hillside behind the station and you really get a sense of how things were laid out when standing there in person while looking at the old photographs. Wish I had more time to spook around...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The clothespin factory is just the right size for modeling. Looks like they were very busy making big sticks into little sticks.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  5:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Standing in the physical space and looking at the old photos and realizing that the scene could really be modeled with limited compression or other compromises was pretty reveling. The clothespin factory would be perfect. Just the right size. Big sticks to little sticks. The tricky part is the slot. :)

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time no see!
I have been absent from the forum way to long. The great thing is though when one returns one finds a lot of exciting new threads to catch up upon.
Very nice to see someone doing a thorough research for the model railroad build.

Thanks for sharing!

Håkan

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  07:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan! Thanks for the compliments. Your modeling is one of my inspirations. I'll have more to post here soon. Stay tuned!

R

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  10:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modeling the model...

I'm on the road for work and can't physically mock up Loganton, so I've been stealing time at lunch and in the hotel in the evening to model the model in SketchUp. It helps me get a sense of space and a general idea if some of the things l'd like to try with this layout, like the forced perspective town, is worth pursuing.

Here's the layout sketch again.

I feel this is a good basis to work from. Things seem to work out well in the 3D model. The only thing I'm considering is to add a short loco lead to the right end of the traverser so that the engine can run around trains that are staged. This would allow the layout to be operated with a single locomotive.

Here again are the two period photos that are the major inspiration for what I'm calling "A Full Day of Trains at Loganton". The 'vista view' and the 'mystery building'.

The 'vista view' photo essentially shows what I hope the layout will represent. Here's some screen shots of my quick mockup in SketchUp.

--

Plan view.

Elevation view. The 'town' is made up of N scale buildings. Not sure yet if this forced perspective will work out to replicate the feel of the vista view photo. Trees partially screening things will help. Transitioning from HO scale details and trees in the foreground to N scale trees and details at the backdrop may make this work. I really think realistic trees will be very important to this layout. The road starts at 2" on the near edge of the layout and narrows to 1" at the backdrop. Layout is 24" deep.

A few steps back. If the forced perspective doesn't work for the town, we'll remove the structures from the 3D layout and add them to the backdrop. From this view, you get a sense of the space available when using little turn-of-the-century narrow gauge equipment. The 25' box car is only 3.5" long. The 'active' part of the layout is 10"x96" without staging. I may shift everything to the left a bit to give some breathing room to the depot scene on the right. Maybe 6"-10".

A view along the line similar to the 'mystery building' photo above. I've dropped in a few versions of the 'mystery building' and haven't decided what I think are the right dimensions and distance from the depot. Still no luck on finding additional information about what this structure might have been.

I'm sure a lot of you think mocking up such a modest layout in software is unnecessary, but it's been an enjoyable way for me to stay engaged with the planning while I'm away from home. Keeps the creative juices from skimming over. :)

Thanks for the continued interest. Much appreciated!

R

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. It's going to look good . Nice mocking up process too.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea using Sketchup for a mockup. The scene looks great especially with the forced perspective.

Håkan

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying this thread.

Loved the pic of the wooden trestle and structures beyond - what a lovely scene!

I like your layout plan. Might I suggest angling the track very slightly to the front of the layout - probably from front left to back right. Just a tad to hide the parallel lines. I did it with my layout and loved the effect. It also creates some interesting shapes between the front of the layout an the track, and the track and the backdrop.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 12/13/2018 7:48:49 PM

RyanAK
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  9:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement, fellas! This has been a fun journey so far. I’ll be interested to see if the forced perspective will work out in the real world.

I like the idea of putting things at a slight angle. I’ve been considering turning away from the front slightly as the main crosses the road just after the depot. Might also see what putting the whole shebang on a slight angle does. I kept it all parallel just to mirror the period photos. I thought it would be a neat exercise to frame things just as they are in the vista view and then have that image framed and hanging on the layout valance. Still, I like what diverging angles can do for sight lines.

The image of the trestle in Dushore is great, isn’t it? Very “Western” for a photo of a small Pennsylvania town. I was standing in the location of the coal dealer a couple of weekends ago. There’s an Agway there now and I needed some propane fittings for the backup heater at our cabin. It’s neat to stand in the same spot as you see in old photos. There’s so much to look at in the image you can almost overlook the train piled up at the bottom. I think the area around the trestle could be developed into a knockout small prototype switching layout with minimum compression. In fact... I may need to draw that up. If only I could track down the Lehigh Valley trackage maps for this location...

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000