Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof of the Pattern Shop is "tar paper" spray painted with Rust-Oleum Farm & Equipment Red Oxide Metal Primer. THis was glued down followed by the stripwood battens and ridge cap. Final detailing was done with dusting of brown chalk with black along the battens for contrast and highlights. one corner of the roof, which is positioned above the wall with the water damage, has a bit of rot...

This completes the basic work on the Shop. On to the Repair Shop which is an attached structure and one of three in the grouping.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the paint and weathering colors you have used. Nice work on the detailing and everything.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Ken.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Brett's color palette for the Foundry is wonderful and conveys both age and function of the individual structures.

Appreciate that Carl...

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm moving on to the attached Repair Shop building. The walls of the shop are individual stripwood siding mounted over laser cut wall framing. The laser sure does a wonderful job simulating real stud framing...

The front wall of the Repair Shop. I detailed the wood as before then damp brushed the individual boards with the color. Further detailed each board as it was applied.

Rear wall. The unsided portion is butted up aginst the Pattern Shop and does not show.

Left wall. The tempering oven and Tempering Shed butt up aginst the side of this wall.

And finally the right wall. This wall is where the full size J.E. Morton's Foundry sign is attached...see below.

Brett provides a couple of copies and two configurations of this wonderfully designed sign. I sanded it almost see through thin and glued to the stripwood base assembled before. Weathered with chalk and applied, albeit carefully, to the sign base then glued it to the wall...

Next up will be the floor and foundation for the Repair Shop...

Edited by - KKarns on 08/05/2018 09:41:07 AM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, the roof treatment on the pattern shop and the sign treatment on the repair shop are "bang on." Looking forward to seeing the walls together.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Ken. I particularly like how the sign came out.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  8:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and walls go up shortly...

That sign was a fun little project Galen and appreciate your thoughts.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  8:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's looking amazing Ken, I love the contrast and sharpness in your peeled paint walls, that sign is a masterpiece.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/07/2018 12:47:47 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing work Ken! On the doors didn't think it was possible to get laser board to look so good.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 08/07/2018 1:18:11 PM

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  4:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, nice hearing from you my friend. Appreciate that and the signage for The Foundry has numerous nice pieces but the large J.E. Morton's sign I posted here is simply wonderfully designed and I had a ball working on it. Keep in touch.

You are so right Hakan. Brett, of SierraWest Scale Models, has pefected the manufacture of amazingly detailed assemblies with Laserboard. Wait until you see the wonderful details such as carts, hand trucks, etc..made from Laserboard in this kit. Not to mention all the unique doors and windows.

Thank so much for your thoughts and stopping in here Hakan...It's folks like you that make this hobby so enjoyable...Ken

Edited by - KKarns on 08/07/2018 4:13:03 PM

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completed the Repair Shop combination floor and foundation.
Floor planking is installed over a timber foundation. I wanted a well worn looking floor. Note the front edge where I rounded the board ends from wear. This section is outside the structure and functions as a porch which will be covered by a roof.

This is the area that will be under the porch but outside the shop. I wanted this portion to be lighter and dry appearing. I hand rubbed in some real dirt...

I detailed the tibers that form the foundation with my #11 blade and pointed awl...

First wall to go up. The rear wall must be perfectly flush with the foundation edge and plumb. I have a selection of metal stock for just such an occasion!

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  11:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Repair shop walls and roof are completed. The front porch will have a roof once I finish it up...

Wonderful prototypical 3-tab asphalt shingles.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
boy that looks awesome! i can't wait til this is available in O scale!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  3:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks Kevin...

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000