Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, the backstory of the Pattern Shop being converted from an old Blacksmith Shop sets up The Foundry for a great variety of modeling time frames. I am working the Pattern Shop up as a well worn structure as likely the oldest of the Foundry complex.

Glad to have you checking in Terry. Brett's kits allow for so much personal touches as you mentioned. Every modeler has his or her personal style of modeling and this kit allows for a wide range of styles and finishes...

Thanks for the note Michael and I'm always looking for ways to impart my modeling style, as I mentioned to Terry, in my builds. I came up with the idea to cut out strategic areas of the chipboard and replace with studding on My BlueSky diorama I completed recently. In fact, I also did it with scribed clapboard siding to equally interesting effect, though a little more fiddly to do. This technique allows for the ease and simplicity of board-on-board siding over a chipboard template and the desire for highly detailed areas of a wall to give the impression of a fully stud framed wall or roof.

Hi Mike, you're right...the color Brett came up with for the Pattern Shop is a really nice shade of red that weathers great. Perfect for an old Blacksmith Shop. The Foundry has a number of structures (six in total) with varying color and siding treatments.

Hey Thanks Kevin, nice hearing from you and glad to be hanging out here with a fellow SWSM active build!

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a more detailed shot of the final stripwood detailing of the Pattern Shop siding.

This particular shot is of the left wall and is an example of the advantages of individually installed boards and a little forward planning. The collateral rot and damage was perfromed on each board so when glued to the template matched across the two boards.

This wall shows the butted boards ends, knot holes, and similar collateral rot and/or damage. These details were done with a #11 blade, sanding stick, and a pointed awl.

Up next will be the windows and doors for the Pattern Shop...

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  6:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before getting into the windows and doors I wanted to post a picture of the old faded lettering of the original Blacksmith Shop. Brett includes a stencil and instructions for effectively weathering the letters to appear as faded as desired. I wanted a barely visible well faded appearance...

Edited by - KKarns on 07/31/2018 6:29:52 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  9:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Job! The wood coloring and the faded sign is superb!
Dave

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  12:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done !!

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  5:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks much Dave, and the color Brett came up with for this structure is perfectly suited for an old Blacksmith Shop.

Appreciate that Terrell. Have been an admirer of your work here on the forum for some time. Gald you took a peek here...

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  5:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked up the windows and doors for the Pattern Shop. As I mentioned, there are three different but complimentary doors on this structure that are just awesome and so easy to construct. Brett utilizes a resin impregnated paper called laserboard. This stuff weathers and takes color wonderfully.

I began by removing the window and door pieces from the carrier sheet and priming with Rustoleum Khaki. I placed the dry but yet cured pieces in my organizer.

Here are the completed split freight doors for the rear of the shop. The two piece construction provides the wonderful 3D door and the weathering is done after painting by a light scuff with fine steel wool. I finished off the detailing by installing the mylar window "glass" and dusting with dirt colored chalk. Note the kick boards at the bottom of each door. This is Laserboard not wood!

Here are the completed windows positioned on either side of the split freight doors. I love working with Brett's windows and doors. They are easy to individualize with the various mylar "glass" treatment and weathering.

These are the window frames. I scribed grain into the Laserboard with my #11 blade and a light wire brushing. Similar to the kick boards on the split freight doors.

Next I'll be installing all the doors and windows...Ken

Edited by - KKarns on 08/01/2018 6:00:09 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  8:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken

Your modeling is absolutely first rate. I like the texture you are adding to doors, window frames etc.

I've been following your progress on my IPhone (very small images) but now looking at your photos on my desktop, I am even more impressed by the kit and your work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  4:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Michael for the kind note. I'm having a ball working on this wonderful kit Brett put together. Just about ready to post the finished walls...

Thanks again for your support Mike...

Ken

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's some amazing texture and detail.
Outstanding!

As you think, so will you be.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick, really nice hearing from you and such a nice welcome on this build post. I'm thrilled at the response here on the forum and for your kind critique...Ken

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...do I model this quickly?...not a chance! I'm slow but steady and these posts have come quickly so as to get caught up to where I am currently working.

The four walls of the Pattern Shop, first of six structures of The Foundry diorama, are complete. Note the wonderful combination of doors this guy has...

The rear split freight door entrance. Love this wall and the doors and windows. Such an iconic style and a riot to build...

Another angle. Note the false floor I added to give the illusion of a complete shop floor. Once the walls and roof are on this will be barely visible if at all.

The left wall with an additional single interior sliding freight door. Such a nice design here. All three freight doors have either a concrete or wood dock...

The right wall freight door. This roll up style door is innovative and such a nice detail, Brett hit a home run on these doors that's for sure.

Next post will be of the walls assembled and a look at the last wall that has the corner rot and damage that I mentioned previously. More later...Ken

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following images show the walls glued together. Brett's kits allow for such nice tight corners...

Lower left corner of the front wall...here is where I cut out a portion of the chipboard template and replaced with stripwood stud framing. The outer boards were detailed as missing and rotten frtom water damage with the studs showing through...

A bit of 1:87 scale perspective!

The roof is next followed by the next structure...the Repair Shop

Edited by - KKarns on 08/03/2018 11:38:17 AM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  9:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, simply spectacular work with your treatment of the doors and windows. Love those sliding doors by the way! You should be charging admission for us to view this fantastic work! (I'll grab a five percent commission and then I'll be able to afford another kit or two!)

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  06:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a deal Mike, thanks much. Right, those sliding freight doors are a great design.

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000